Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will HTML5 become the new Flash?

• 02-05-2012 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of not being able to view a lot of movies and tv shows on my iPhone because it doesn't have flash.
    And considering the iPhone and iPad's popularity is growing rapidly, will HTML5 replace Flash altogether and become more of the standard format for online movies etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

HTML5 is a standard that will take a while to be fully adopted.

The problem is that flash is cheap and works on just about everything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A lot of websites have already adopted HTML5. I don't come across nearly as much Flash content as I used to. I haven't even got Flash installed on my MBA. But Flash is so bad on the Mac that I've been avoiding it for years anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

1ZRed wrote: »
    Will HTML5 become the new Flash?
    HTML5 will become the new a lot of things. Including Flash.

But if you're talking about video, then standards are a while away from being set. In the interim an awful lot of media is being encoded for multiple (including Apple) devices, which is a situation that won't last. Content providers want consolidation and it won't be Flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A lot of websites have already adopted HTML5. I don't come across nearly as much Flash content as I used to. I haven't even got Flash installed on my MBA. But Flash is so bad on the Mac that I've been avoiding it for years anyway.

What's annoying me is that YouTube runs fine on my iPad, but since I've uninstalled Flash I have to launch Chrome every time I want to watch a video on my Mac. I find myself wondering if forcing Flash on home computers is Google's play to push people towards Chrome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's annoying me is that YouTube runs fine on my iPad, but since I've uninstalled Flash I have to launch Chrome every time I want to watch a video on my Mac. I find myself wondering if forcing Flash on home computers is Google's play to push people towards Chrome.

You can force HTML5 Youtube videos to load on Safari using Youtube5. ClicktoFlash will do this as well.

You should also make sure you've joined the Youtube HTML5 trial.

• Advertisement

You can force HTML5 Youtube videos to load on Safari using Youtube5. ClicktoFlash will do this as well.

You should also make sure you've joined the Youtube HTML5 trial.

Hm, that's funny - I was sure that Google had discontinued the HTML5 trial. Much obliged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Where can I watch movies and tv shows on my iPhone? I can't seem to find any other format but flash, no HTML5 nothing, just flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where can I watch movies and tv shows on my iPhone? I can't seem to find any other format but flash, no HTML5 nothing, just flash.

What websites are you going to?

You need aps not looking at flash websites. Likes of Netflix & You Tube etc all have apps.

I can't remember the last time Flash caused me a problem.

murpho999 wrote: »

What websites are you going to?

You need aps not looking at flash websites. Likes of Netflix & You Tube etc all have apps.

I can't remember the last time Flash caused me a problem.

You can't watch movies or most tv shows on YouTube and the selection on Netflix is terrible.

As far as websites go, just random flash based ones you find when you type in "watch inception online" for example.

I'm surprised you haven't run into problems. I'm strictly speaking for iOS devices not mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You can't watch movies or most tv shows on YouTube and the selection on Netflix is terrible.

As far as websites go, just random flash based ones you find when you type in "watch inception online" for example.

I'm surprised you haven't run into problems. I'm strictly speaking for iOS devices not mac.

I just gave 'You Tube' and 'Netflix' as examples of apps that you can watch videos on.

I don't watch streamed movies on websites, but you can also just download them, save as MP4 and watch on your device.

• Advertisement

There are movies on the iTunes Store. If you want a better selection, including TV shows, buy some US iTunes vouchers and use the US store.

murpho999 wrote: »

I just gave 'You Tube' and 'Netflix' as examples of apps that you can watch videos on.

I don't watch streamed movies on websites, but you can also just download them, save as MP4 and watch on your device.

When I can I'll watch tv off an app like 4oD but I should have specified that I want to stream movies and tv shows.

I don't want to go to all that effort of downloading an MP4, is there any other way?
    I have no intension of paying for these things like you would on iTunes!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

When I can I'll watch tv off an app like 4oD but I should have specified that I want to stream movies and tv shows.

I don't want to go to all that effort of downloading an MP4, is there any other way?
    I have no intension of paying for these things like you would on iTunes!

I dont know if youve seen the headlines lately about ISP's being forced to block torrent sites and anything else containing illegal content , but the Golden age of Media Stealing is over !

No site would last five minutes these days while "streaming" stolen content , so your left with hunting down files on bitlocker sites , which are being picked off one by one by the content providers , the owners being hounded all over the world with US extradition orders.

Megaupload being a prime example.

So , you want Stolen content without you having any risk or work to do for it ?
    Pull the other one mate , either open your wallet or wait for it to come on the Telly !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

andy1249 wrote: »
    I dont know if youve seen the headlines lately about ISP's being forced to block torrent sites and anything else containing illegal content , but the Golden age of Media Stealing is over !!

lol it's so not.

mdwexford wrote: »
    andy1249 wrote: »
    I dont know if youve seen the headlines lately about ISP's being forced to block torrent sites and anything else containing illegal content , but the Golden age of Media Stealing is over !!

lol it's so not.

Haha I know! I just typed in some random movies to stream and I got millions of different sources.
    I've spent a long time googling things so its not looking too good unfortunately:(
    Could someone give me some sites to watch please?:)

"Free movie" streaming sites are a great way to install malware onto your machine. The owners of these sites aren't eager to move to HTML5 because Flash is riddled with security holes and easier to exploit and install said malware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

There will always be ways to share media. There was a shift just some short time ago to using icompatible h.264 encodings of tv show rips for example. Sure the encoder is better but the reality is that it's even easier to get popular shows straight onto the device without any conversion or third party apps. A download and sync or directly on the device itself.

Flash will end. Adobe themselves have said it, I won't miss it really. Click to flash on Chrome (windows or apple) gets around most of the annoyances.

Apples reasons for not supporting it are the vulnerabilities and the battery sucking properties of the software. Even this weekend there is an emergency patch for flash. It's really just becoming a pain. The sooner it's gone and properly replaced the better.

Advertisement