Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine through hear

• 02-05-2012 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is anyone here aware what the lowest points were to get into medicine through the HEAR programme in either UCD or NUI Galway. As you can obviously tell the HPAT was a somewhat disappointment.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

micro609 wrote: »
    Is anyone here aware what the lowest points were to get into medicine through the HEAR programme in either UCD or NUI Galway. As you can obviously tell the HPAT was a somewhat disappointment.
    Thanks in advance.

I think its roughly a 15% reduction 5% of the places are kept for hear ppl and if u have more then enough points u enter as a main stream canidate hear and dare are only for under the cut off points if your above the cut off point hear wont apply and u get in like a normal student i boped i helped ya out i cant find any info on wat points did hear students get in on and the uni's wont release the info out but as med is compeditive and many ppl get on hear i guess 10-25 point reduction at most i wish ya luck =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 micro609

Ahh i see would 680-700 be enough. Thanks anyway mate

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

micro609 wrote: »
    Ahh i see would 680-700 be enough. Thanks anyway mate

Ya ders hope fr ya yet gd luck and dont rush and take anoda course if ya dont get med fr da sake of taking a course spend da time instead "studying" the hpat and sit it again and then hopefully ya will get it then 2nd time round never give up on a dream gd luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tahina, please try not to use txtspk here.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

so roughly if your looking at 740 example multiply it by 0.15 which is 111.
    111-740 = 629
    next take away you hpat score
    mine being absolutly horrible 115
    115-629= 514*
    ie 514 points is the score you would need in leaving or higher im guessing this is what you need in hear but id be very surprised if they give a 15% reduction for all HEAR applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

vladcount wrote: »
    111-740 = 629
    115-629= 514*
    ie 514 points is the score you would need in leaving or higher im guessing this is what you need in hear but id be very surprised if they give a 15% reduction for all HEAR applicants.

I don't think it'll actually reduce the points all the way down to 629. The 15% is probably the minimum it can reduce them to. In reality, the 5% of places would be taken up by students with much higher points. Eg. if the minimum is 740 then students with 739 and lower + HEAR would get places until the 5% of spots were filled.

This is just my theory I'm not certain of how the system actually works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Darksider wrote: »
    I don't think it'll actually reduce the points all the way down to 629. The 15% is probably the minimum it can reduce them to. In reality, the 5% of places would be taken up by students with much higher points. Eg. if the minimum is 740 then students with 739 and lower + HEAR would get places until the 5% of spots were filled.

This is just my theory I'm not certain of how the system actually works.

Yup Darksider has it spot on from people I know who have applied for HEAR/DARE in the past. The most important thing to remember is that there is no minimum number of points which will earn you a place via HEAR. The HEAR places will always go to the highest HEAR applicants so you are basically in competition with them. Therefore there is no way of knowing if 680-700 would be enough as it varies year on year. Best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

vladcount wrote: »
    111-740 = 629
    115-629= 514*

To be honest, getting your hopes up that the points would be reduced into the 600's for medicine would probably be a bad idea. I know people who've gotten in on the 705ish mark. I don't think anything too much below that would get in, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

how did people get on today, did you get what you had hoped ?

Advertisement