Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished renting, ESB still charging.

Options
  • 02-05-2012 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I had to finish up renting due to financial difficulty and move back home. I made that move in December. The landlord was supposed to sort out the ESB. He was due to contact me with a number or something for me to pass onto ESB and tell them that I was finished and then I would get a bill for my last couple of weeks.

Between one thing and another it slipped my mind. LL contacted me in march. He needed a number from an old esb bill to sort that out.

I got a letter from the bank today to say that the last two Direct Debits to ESB didn't go through. So ESB is clearly still charging me. Last two bills I am guessing - march and january.

My last ESB bill was in Nov. I made the move in Dec. So by right I only owe for about 4 - 5 weeks ESB.

I do not have the money to be paying a bill for something that I am not using and goodness knows how much it is. Place has been occupied since march too.

What am I to do here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If you have the bill why didnt you ring the esb and cancel the account, its up to you when you move out to get a reading off the meter and ring the esb let them know the final reading and send a final bill for you to pay not your landlord.

You need to ring the landlord get an estimate of what the meter reading was when you left???? how that is going to happen I have no idea, then ring the esb yourself and inform them of the final reading so the bill can be issued and paid

Learn a lesson and in future take responsibility for these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

edellc wrote: »
    If you have the bill why didnt you ring the esb and cancel the account, its up to you when you move out to get a reading off the meter and ring the esb let them know the final reading and send a final bill for you to pay not your landlord.

LL said that he would get that reading for me and text me. Between one thing or another I forgot about that, as did he obviously.

Now it appears I might be lumped with bills going back months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

This happened me before, I just rang the ESB and gave them the move out date, they'll estimate the meter reading from there. They'll only go back 3 months however, so you're going to be caught either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tell ESB that you want to pay up to X date or X meter reading. After that tell them that you do not own the house and are not legally liable for any electricity use going on there. The LL should have put his own name on the account already but I don't think you can change it into someone else's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Its a pity you didn't take a reading when you moved out, even just for your own record. The ESB are decent enough about situations like this, it happens all the time. You need to tackle this yourself though and forget about the Landlord doing anything for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement