Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative studies HL English. HELPHELPHELP.

• 02-05-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I asked this question a while ago but got no response and now I'm really starting to worry. :/
    Would it be too late to change my 3 texts?
    I have like no notes, no idea how to compare them .. god Im not even sure what happens in them :/
    But I have one or two good sample answers comparing 3 other texts, could I just learn them off?
    Or do I need to have a better knowledge of the texts?
    Basically, is it too late?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Well.. I'm doing 'Inside I'm Dancing', 'How Many Miles to Bablyon?' & 'Dancing at Lughnasa'. Basically, all of my teacher's notes that she gave to us came from the 'English Key Notes' book, 2012 edition. I don't think the comparative is too hard.. i'm just learning off samples for the GV+V & Literary Genre & putting a lot into my own words of-course.. just looking at my Eng HL Mock, i got 58/70 for the Comparative, and I know that isn't perfect but Comparative is the one I always seem to least prepare even though it is worth more marks!? I know.. weird! :p

Oh and, I don't think it is too late unless you have a lot of revision to do for other subjects.. Perhaps you could find notes online or somewhere for the three texts you are doing and make your own GV+V & Literary Genre notes? (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Well.. I'm doing 'Inside I'm Dancing', 'How Many Miles to Bablyon?' & 'Dancing at Lughnasa'. Basically, all of my teacher's notes that she gave to us came from the 'English Key Notes' book, 2012 edition. I don't think the comparative is too hard.. i'm just learning off samples for the GV+V & Literary Genre & putting a lot into my own words of-course.. just looking at my Eng HL Mock, i got 58/70 for the Comparative, and I know that isn't perfect but Comparative is the one I always seem to least prepare even though it is worth more marks!? I know.. weird! :p

Oh and, I don't think it is too late unless you have a lot of revision to do for other subjects.. Perhaps you could find notes online or somewhere for the three texts you are doing and make your own GV+V & Literary Genre notes? (:

I have that book, it's really good :)
    They're the three texts I was thinking of changing to, there's notes on them in the book and I have sample answers on them from a revision course.
    Iv'e tried, I cant find anything useful at all :/
    And it's just really hard to link them.
    I only got 41 in the mock :/

I think I'll change.
    Would I need to read/see them three texts do you think? Or just learn off the answers :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Yes that book is a life saver, right!? (:

The notes in the book are very detailed so it would be pretty easy to make up your own notes with them and like you said you have notes from a revision course so i'd like to think you are sorted! :p as far as 'linking' them goes, i think 'Inside I'm Dancing' & 'Dancing at Lughnasa' are SO easy to talk about in comparison & so on.. as for 'How Many Miles to Babylon?'.. I don't know, considering I haven't actually read the entire book because I think it is really boring! Oh & do you mean 41% overall in your Mock, or just your Comparative?

I think watching Inside I'm Dancing & Dancing at Lughnasa made them easier for me to learn, but then again I'd take watching a film over reading a book any day! :p If you go on youtube & type in 'Inside I'm Dancing Part 1' you'll get the first part of the film, & then just watch Part 2 & so on and so on =p It's also called 'Rory O'Shea was Here'.. they are the same film though! (: Oh and for Dancing at Lughnasa, i'll PM you the link to watch the film online! and for Babylon, you just have to read it, unfortunately. :( Unless you like reading! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Yes that book is a life saver, right!? (:

The notes in the book are very detailed so it would be pretty easy to make up your own notes with them and like you said you have notes from a revision course so i'd like to think you are sorted! :p as far as 'linking' them goes, i think 'Inside I'm Dancing' & 'Dancing at Lughnasa' are SO easy to talk about in comparison & so on.. as for 'How Many Miles to Babylon?'.. I don't know, considering I haven't actually read the entire book because I think it is really boring! Oh & do you mean 41% overall in your Mock, or just your Comparative?

I think watching Inside I'm Dancing & Dancing at Lughnasa made them easier for me to learn, but then again I'd take watching a film over reading a book any day! :p If you go on youtube & type in 'Inside I'm Dancing Part 1' you'll get the first part of the film, & then just watch Part 2 & so on and so on =p It's also called 'Rory O'Shea was Here'.. they are the same film though! (: Oh and for Dancing at Lughnasa, i'll PM you the link to watch the film online! and for Babylon, you just have to read it, unfortunately. :( Unless you like reading! :)

I know it's the best :)
    I mean 42 out of 70 in the comparative Q :/
    I think I got 73% overall, really need to bring that up too!
    Thank you so much, YOU'RE the live saver!hah
    I do like to read but I might just try and find a summary of it somewhere with the time I have left.

Advertisement