Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting antenna on apartment block?

Options
  • 02-05-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I've recently rented out my apartment to a couple who are not irish and they have asked me if they can put an antenna (maybe satelite dish) on the roof of the apartment block to pick up channels from their native country.
    Before I contact the Management Company about this, what is the general rule of thumb about antenna/satelite dishes on apartment blocks and also, if they are permitted, I presume it would have to be at the tenants own risk and expense?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In general absolutely not. For starters it's in the planning permission for most apartment blocks that they can't have dishes.

The walls and the roof are owned by the management company and no one owner has the right to erect anything on common property nor drill holes etc into external walls (or have them drilled by a third party).

Finally, any dish or aerial would involve cabling which would either have to be fed internally or externally to the apartment, resulting in either cables trailing down exterior walls or more drilling into common property...or both.

While there has been a European ruling that people are entitled to receive signals via satellite from their home countries, there is also onus on the individual to not choose a development without these facilities.

In the internet age it is very easy to receive television broadcasts from other countries without dishes or antennae.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The Management company can contact sky ,sky put 1 dish on the roof,residents who want can pay for sky service.Some companys may not be bothered,if theres ntl, cable tv in each apartment.IT maybe up to the residents to ask for it.
    IF you are facing the right direction ,you may pick up sky tv,with a small dish, on the balcony,,not on the wall.Most apartments have a rule against putting up dishs,it should be in your lease,or list of rules you have as a
    resident.I suppose there,d have to be x amount of tenants interested to get a sky dish on the roof.
    And there,d need to be x amount of people living in the building.EG a block with ten tenants, might be 2 small,
    for it to be cost effective.
    ANY dish,must be bolted ,secure, you don,t want it falling on someone.
    my friend has sky dish on the roof, if she wants a connection she has to subscribe to sky tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

GAACL wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently rented out my apartment to a couple who are not irish and they have asked me if they can put an antenna (maybe satelite dish) on the roof of the apartment block to pick up channels from their native country.
    Before I contact the Management Company about this, what is the general rule of thumb about antenna/satelite dishes on apartment blocks and also, if they are permitted, I presume it would have to be at the tenants own risk and expense?????

I am renting and I had put Sky dish in the balcony which was facing south and was good for about 2 yrs until new management co. came in and raised questions. I let my Landlord know about it before putting the dish and he was fine. I ignored management co. warning letters completely. Finally recently after 4 yrs in same apt management co allowed shared dish and im on it now.

But why not consult few LL in the apt block or or contact management co. there to put up sky shared dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GAACL

Thanks for all your replies, very informative. I know each apartment has a UPC connection if tenants require it or in recent years, SKY have installed their equipment in the roof/attic space of each apt block, which I have told the tenants about, they got back to me saying that they spoke to someone (dont know who) who said that yes sky etc is available but that it shouldnt be a problem erecting private antenna cos he saw 3 private antenna on the roof on the block my apt is on.
    anyway, I'm best to clear this with management company first.
    again thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

athtrasna wrote: »
    While there has been a European ruling that people are entitled to receive signals via satellite from their home countries, there is also onus on the individual to not choose a development without these facilities.

No such onus in the directive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

In the case of Cyfrowy Polska (think that's the spelling) It costs a fair bit for the equipment so if they spend that money they will probably stay a while to make it worthwhile. This is the sort of allowances you have to make to get a long term tenant.

I'm guessing the tenants should of checked with the estate agent first about television connections etc before moving in.....??
    Management Company have confirmed No private antenna/satellite dishes allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Management Company have confirmed No private antenna/satellite dishes allowed.
    cos he saw 3 private antenna on the roof on the block my apt is on.
    If you didn't mention the private antennas to the management company, maybe have a look to see where they're linked to, and get in touch with the owners of the antennas to see if your tenants can get a feed also?

the "3 private antennae" are there with the consent of the Management Company, they are not private they are for communal use and for the benefit of all in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if 1 of the other dishs face in right direction, just put another lnb to pick
    up polish,tv, but you,d still need a cable run from lnb to tenants apartment,
    if its a small building any sat install company would do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement