Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop

Options
  • 02-05-2012 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

It was my birthday last weekend, so decided to splash out on a new laptop, a MacBook Pro to be percises, 1,219e worth ! but been saving for awhile so got it last weekend.

Got in Compustore, now all was grand until my folks arrived back with the exact same machine for me as a birthday present from the states, just my luck.

The laptop I bought from Compustore has only been used 3 times, no memory etc used, all box etc etc, nothing missing.

I have the receipt etc, it says you can return items within 14 days, but they also have to be unopend ?

Do i stand any chance of a refund at all ?

Thanks in advance

Alaska

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The only way you'll find out is by asking. You never know what they might say but you are not entitled to a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

The only way you'll find out is by asking. You never know what they might say but you are not entitled to a refund.

Its a nightmare situation tbh, thanks for the reply.

Was just wondering has this happened to other people before also.

So I am just hoping they see in the goodness of their heart weather to issue a refund or not ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Its a nightmare situation tbh, thanks for the reply.

Was just wondering has this happened to other people before also.

So I am just hoping they see in the goodness of their heart weather to issue a refund or not ?

Yeah, you're basically banking on their niceness about it. Worst case scenario, stick it on adverts, you'll get a good chunk of your money back.

Yeah, you're basically banking on their niceness about it. Worst case scenario, stick it on adverts, you'll get a good chunk of your money back.

I will just be honest and tell them exactly the story.

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

Fingers crossed.

That is always the best thing to do-be honest.

Fair play to you!

• Advertisement

That is always the best thing to do-be honest.

Fair play to you!

Ah I wouldn't lie about anything like that, it's alot of money, I now have 2 MacBook Pro's !

Just hope they won't not give me my money back as I have opened it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Ask them for store credit - that way they don't lose a penny.

Pkiernan wrote: »

I see where your coming from alright but Store Credit wouldn't be too much use to me as I have the New laptop.

Will ring this morning, here's hoping !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Pkiernan wrote: »
    They still would; they would not be able to resell it as brand new with out sending it for clearing, packaging etc. again but it's going to be a smaller loss then handing the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Fingers crossed.

In one way, be careful about who you're honest to :)

Did your parents pay the duty on the American laptop? If you go telling too many people about it, and the tax hasn't been paid, then the nice guys at customs could come along and confiscate said laptop (if they get, say, an anonymous tip-off from the folks at Compu-b who might have your name & address when you return the other one).

Of course, if they paid the tax when they came into the country, then this obviously doesn't apply!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

In one way, be careful about who you're honest to :)

Did your parents pay the duty on the American laptop? If you go telling too many people about it, and the tax hasn't been paid, then the nice guys at customs could come along and confiscate said laptop (if they get, say, an anonymous tip-off from the folks at Compu-b who might have your name & address when you return the other one).

Absolute nonsense

Mactard wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense

What's absolute nonsense? The fact that there's an anonymous tip-off line for suspected smuggling (1800-295295), or that it could actually be in Compu-b's interest to report the suspected smuggling as it's directly competing against their interest?

The fact is if that if the laptop cost more than €430, it's liable for tax, and if it's not been paid, the goods have been smuggled into the country.

I'm not saying they would do it, I said that they could do it, and in general if you don't know them, be careful what you tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What's absolute nonsense? The fact that there's an anonymous tip-off line for suspected smuggling (1800-295295), or that it could actually be in Compu-b's interest to report the suspected smuggling as it's directly competing against their interest?

The fact is if that if the laptop cost more than €430, it's liable for tax, and if it's not been paid, the goods have been smuggled into the country.

I'm not saying they would do it, I said that they could do it, and in general if you don't know them, be careful what you tell them.

That is the funniest, craziest post i've read all year, Customs couldn't be bothered.

I aint too sure if my Mother did or not, I must ask...but would they go to that trouble for a laptop ?

Anyway, Compu store said no, only take it back if it had not been powered on as they cannot re sell it once turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sell your 2nd macbook on adverts. You should be able to get a decent price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

why dont you just sell the brand new one on adverts,the fact that its unopened and that you have all the paper work you would get a fair price for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I aint too sure if my Mother did or not, I must ask...but would they go to that trouble for a laptop ?

As in come to your house and confiscate the laptop? No, no they would not. Customs are interested in stopping those laundering diesel or selling illegally imported cigarettes. If you bring a laptop in from America, and get through customs at the airport without being stopped, then you're OK.

Same as when you buy online from outside the EU. If you get your delivery without an invoice for VAT/Duty, then you're done. If it gets stopped, then you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Actually, the Revenue can come after you for the duty/vat for up to 7 years, and can come to your home. They can confiscate it, but are much more likely just to get you to pay the outstanding fees.

But, in reality, it almost never happens, unless they're chasing for something else too.

I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jesus don't bother asking your Mother anything about duty and charges etc! It's a complete non issue on one laptop for a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Could you not bring back the unopened one that you got in the states to Compu-b and pass that one off as the one bought there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Could you not bring back the unopened one that you got in the states to Compu-b and pass that one off as the one bought there?

doubt it, the receipt is likely to include the serial number which wouldn't match

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Keep the one you bought, sell the US import, and you're still 'up'. Simple.

Faolchu wrote: »

doubt it, the receipt is likely to include the serial number which wouldn't match

Not only that, the power cable would be different, and the keyboard would look slightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Who did they purchase it from in the US? Have you contacted that retailer to see if you could mail it back insured for a refund. US service is normally quite a bit better that ours.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Cost an hassel of that probably would not be much less than the small hit of selling either one of them on adverts. Apple products hold their value well.

OP - sell the one you bought. While it is open, the receipt for an irish store would more than make up for the fact that it is open i would think.

Advertisement