Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Fix Crack In Plastic Bath Tub

• 02-05-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks! Small crack in plastic bath tub near tub hole. I've been quoted a ridiculous price to get it replaced so I'm just wondering if there was a way to repair it my self?

Been browsing the net and have found two ways, by epoxy and repair tape. Drill small 1/4 inch holes at either end of crack so it doesn't get bigger. Sand it down and clean off. Epoxy takes 12 hours before use while tape is only three. eHow website states that tape is more successful on cracks over 1 inch?

Anybody do this before? Was it a success? By the way plumber quoted me €650 to replace bath tub and side panels. Appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tape should work, and is easier. It'll show more though, if that's a factor?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you can't find a bath repair kit you could use a marine gelcoat repair kit http://www.marineparts.ie/paint-and-maintenance/epoxy-repair-kits/plastic-padding-gelcoat-filler.html it comes in white "if your bath is white" just sand the crack so it becomes groove drill a hole each end and fill it with the gelcoat then scrape off the excess with an old credit card and when it's dry wet sand with 1000 -1500 grit wet paper and if you like polish out with rubbing compound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

A repair near the waste plug is not verg successful. Its actually where most of the bath movement is.

I would replace the bath.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If money is tight and he can get to the crack from underneath he could sand the area and add a few layers of fiberglass cloth or mesh to reinforce it and make it stronger than it was in the first place,Total cost about €50 instead €650 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Thanks one and all for suggestions! :)

• Advertisement

Hey folks just to add I got a second quote from another guy for €320 supply and fit! Seems a great price! Less then half of other guy. What savings to be had when one shops around!

But before I give him the nod I think I'll try the sand, drill and repair tape method. Two small cracks both approx 1.5 inchs long. Only one letting out water. Some soft epoxy has been put on it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Would you not fit an steel enamel bath?
    I think I paid 200 for the last one I bought
    They never crack unlike the fibreglass ones.
    The problem is where the waste exits the bath wall thickness is very thin, its the same in shower trays, this is the weak point in all fibreglass bathware.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Would you not fit an steel enamel bath?
    I think I paid 200 for the last one I bought
    They never crack unlike the fibreglass ones.
    The problem is where the waste exits the bath wall thickness is very thin, its the same in shower trays, this is the weak point in all fibreglass bathware.

Well put it this way. Last tub lasted just over ten years and I don't expect to have apartment for another ten! In fact maybe two or three years at the most although that could change?

So it's a case of keeping it maintained for the least amount of money possible during this time. I may still try sanding, drilling and taping first. Even if this holds for another year it would be well worth it! I have it letted out and one of the tenants is a big guy but very concious of property. He covered cracks with soft epoxy already to keep it sealed for a week or two.

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you can't find a bath repair kit you could use a marine gelcoat repair kit http://www.marineparts.ie/paint-and-maintenance/epoxy-repair-kits/plastic-padding-gelcoat-filler.html it comes in white "if your bath is white" just sand the crack so it becomes groove drill a hole each end and fill it with the gelcoat then scrape off the excess with an old credit card and when it's dry wet sand with 1000 -1500 grit wet paper and if you like polish out with rubbing compound.

Bath tub is plastic, is this not for fibreglass?

Gingko wrote: »
    Bath tub is plastic, is this not for fibreglass?

It will work with plastic just make sure where your putting it is dry and roughed up with 400 paper to give it a bite.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    It will work with plastic just make sure where your putting it is dry and roughed up with 400 paper to give it a bite.

Thanks fergal! You have experience of this? Will it work as it's at flexible end of tub so to speak? And would you recommend it more so then epoxy or tape?

Gingko wrote: »
    Thanks fergal! You have experience of this? Will it work as it's at flexible end of tub so to speak? And would you recommend it more so then epoxy or tape?

I work a lot with epoxy and think you will get a much better finish with the paste than you will with the tape inside the bath, if you want to make it stronger you could put the tape or fiberglass mesh under the crack to stiffen it up if you do this you might get away with drilling holes and grinding out the crack just force it together with a little bit of resin you may still see the crack but it will be watertight and the fiberglass mesh will stop it from spreading.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4897957_repair-plastic-bathtub-cracked.html

Advertisement