Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights on Bridge Over N3 at Phoenix Park Station

Options
  • 03-05-2012 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Have emailed the roads department in Fingal seeking to have this problem addressed, has anyone else noticed it?

At least three times a week I commute to the city centre via either the Park or Blackhorse Ave. From the N3 inbound, the route with fewer delays for this should be to go as far as the bridge at the station and loop back to Auburn Avenue.

Every couple of weeks there seems to be a problem where the ramp off the N3 inbound is almost totally full because the lights at the opposite side of the bridge stay red for almost 5 minutes - resulting in some people running the red light and accordingly some near misses. And backing up the ramp from the N3 inbound as the cars can't get on the bridge cos it's full.

If you're not familiar with the route, it might not make a lot of sense the way I've described it. Basically to get on to the opposite side of the road I need to go up a ramp, turn right at the top, cross the bridge and turn right onto a down ramp. The lights at the top of the bridge take forever to change even though there is rarely any traffic on the up ramp on that side of the road.

I've emailed the roads department, and will forward that to the local councillors, is there anything else that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

This is the bridge that leads out from the train station on the N3 just past the petrol station city bound. The one where cars used to (and probably still) fly over to get past allot of traffic city bound, just before the half way house roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

It might be a logic problem with the traffic lights in the area (e.g., particular traffic loads causing a long sequence on these lights, causing a tailback and making the situation worse). I think the bridge was only ever designed for access to the train station, so the sequencing may be off, though it's been there long enough to be tested at this stage.

The cynical part of me thinks Fingal might be trying to stop people doubling back on the N3 using this bridge, forcing people to use the M50 roundabout/Travelodge route to Auburn Avenue instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

i think the problem here is the lights on the old racecourse side of the bridge
    these lights are controlled by a sensor
    if the first car on the bridge stops too far forward of the sensor,the lights dont detect any traffic on the bridge and therefore dont change the signalling
    only when the traffic eventually moves(illegally)does the signal alter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The cynical part of me thinks Fingal might be trying to stop people doubling back on the N3 using this bridge, forcing people to use the M50 roundabout/Travelodge route to Auburn Avenue instead.

:eek: I would use that route if it wasn't TOTALLY jammed at rush hour 99% of the time. Disastrous design flaw there too. Three lanes at the Travellodge side of the junction, one for left onto N3 inbound, one for right onto N3 outbound (logical enough). But the middle lane is marked for straight on AND right. It means that the queue for people going to Auburn Avenue is longer because I would estimate that at least 25% of the cars in that lane actually turn right, taking up space in the middle lane instead of using the right lane.

Advertisement