Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Powers will not pay out

Options
  • 03-05-2012 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Every week for the last couple of years I have done the lotto in Paddy Powers. I do the same format I put money down on three numbers for all 3 draws. This bet includes all the numbers including the bonus numbers. On saturday 3 of my numbers came out of which one was the bonus. When I placed the bet I said all draws and all the numbers in. But the cashier failed to include the bonus balls and now is saying that it is only for the six numbers. I have gone in on two different occasions and she is still adamant that I am wrong. She was the one who wrote all draws on my slip and failed to write including the bonus. I dont understand where she is getting the six from as that is not on my slip either. In this particular branch they know me as I go in every week and do the same format. My bet is worth three hundred euro. I gave them dates that I have put other bets down for the lotto and she said they are not on the system. She was very rude and even answered a private call on her mobile in the middle of the whole debacle. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

What exactly does your slip say?

You need to explicitly say 'with the bonus' or something similar, otherwise it defaults to the normal draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

If you go in to do the numbers every week, and do the seven number version week after week, then your bookie should really know by now that that is always the type of bet you place - and there is a mistake on their part. If you always place one type of bet, then there is no reason to change on the week you won. Any shop (regardless of if it is a bookie or not), should have some idea of the needs of its repeat customers.

If there is any way to show evidence that you always play the seven number version, then try to show them that. This would include old bets slips (which you may or may not have).

If the woman is not helping, then you could always try and go above her to the store manager. There are times that store employees may be afraid to bend the rules as bit - as they could get reprimanded afterwards. However if you present the same evidence to a person higher up the chain, then you might get a different result, as that person's hands would not be tied as much.

However, even after all that, there could be good cause for them not to pay out. If the slip you walked out of the store with is for the 6 number version, and you won via seven numbers, then there really is no way to demand money from them. Even if you wanted seven, and then you walked out with a six slip when you bought it, then then they will argue the problem is yours - not theirs.

My best advice is to try and find the person highest up the chain available to you. Get as much evidence that you can that you always play the seven number version, and explain calmly to that person that it would be nonsense for you to play 6 numbers this one week after always playing seven.

If they still refuse to pay, then you could, as a last resort, ask for you winnings, or a portion of your winnings, as store credit - instead of a cash payout. It is not the best result, but it would mean a few solid months of free bets. This, again, would probably be something only the store manager could set up.

I hope you find some way to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

jackie81 wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice. Every week for the last couple of years I have done the lotto in Paddy Powers. I do the same format I put money down on three numbers for all 3 draws. This bet includes all the numbers including the bonus numbers. On saturday 3 of my numbers came out of which one was the bonus. When I placed the bet I said all draws and all the numbers in. But the cashier failed to include the bonus balls and now is saying that it is only for the six numbers. I have gone in on two different occasions and she is still adamant that I am wrong. She was the one who wrote all draws on my slip and failed to write including the bonus. I dont understand where she is getting the six from as that is not on my slip either. In this particular branch they know me as I go in every week and do the same format. My bet is worth three hundred euro. I gave them dates that I have put other bets down for the lotto and she said they are not on the system. She was very rude and even answered a private call on her mobile in the middle of the whole debacle. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

If you are doing this week in week out surely you are by now capable of filling out the slip yourself. If not and you require the cashier to do it, you obviously should have checked your docket before leaving and had any mistakes corrected. You haven't got a hope of being paid out here in my opinion as it appears the bonus isn't included in your bet.

tinodz wrote: »
    If you go in to do the numbers every week, and do the seven number version week after week, then your bookie should really know by now that that is always the type of bet you place - and there is a mistake on their part. If you always place one type of bet, then there is no reason to change on the week you won. Any shop (regardless of if it is a bookie or not), should have some idea of the needs of its repeat customers.

If there is any way to show evidence that you always play the seven number version, then try to show them that. This would include old bets slips (which you may or may not have).

If the woman is not helping, then you could always try and go above her to the store manager. There are times that store employees may be afraid to bend the rules as bit - as they could get reprimanded afterwards. However if you present the same evidence to a person higher up the chain, then you might get a different result, as that person's hands would not be tied as much.

However, even after all that, there could be good cause for them not to pay out. If the slip you walked out of the store with is for the 6 number version, and you won via seven numbers, then there really is no way to demand money from them. Even if you wanted seven, and then you walked out with a six slip when you bought it, then then they will argue the problem is yours - not theirs.

My best advice is to try and find the person highest up the chain available to you. Get as much evidence that you can that you always play the seven number version, and explain calmly to that person that it would be nonsense for you to play 6 numbers this one week after always playing seven.

If they still refuse to pay, then you could, as a last resort, ask for you winnings, or a portion of your winnings, as store credit - instead of a cash payout. It is not the best result, but it would mean a few solid months of free bets. This, again, would probably be something only the store manager could set up.

I hope you find some way to sort this out.

This is nonsense really. That is on par with someone backing Man Utd every week and placing a bet on Liverpool instead one week, Utd win, Liverpool lose, and marching back into the bookies demanding you be paid on Utd winning as you back them every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Believe it or not, this happened to me in Boylesports in County Kildare before, and I had always done the bonus. They paid out half......that was very fair of them.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Believe it or not, this happened to me in Boylesports in County Kildare before, and I had always done the bonus. They paid out half......that was very fair of them.

It surely was. A goodwill gesture I would imagine, in order to keep your custom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

ft9 wrote: »
    This is nonsense really. That is on par with someone backing Man Utd every week and placing a bet on Liverpool instead one week, Utd win, Liverpool lose, and marching back into the bookies demanding you be paid on Utd winning as you back them every week.

I don't personally do the Lotto thing in the Bookies, but I know a few friends that do, and most of them just have to walk in and they girl behind the counter almost always knows what they want before hand.

You are just picking numbers, usually the same ones in their case, so it is easy to fall into a predictable pattern. A pattern that could be used to try and prove to the bookie that they were in the wrong.

Obviously, when betting on Football, Snooker, Tennis and the rest, there is a lot to take into account, and people would rarely bet on the same things all the time if they were looking to win

My point is that if the first poster could try and prove they did the same thing week after week for months, and had good rapport with the people there, there is a chance she could prove it was their mistake.

Obviously, it will still be hard to work out - although I think trying to sort out an error in a lotto bet is much easier (in the grand scheme of things) than a sports related one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd think if your docket doesn't say you made the bet you intended to make, then it would be very difficult to get anything from the bookie - since the bet doesn't actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jackie81

Thanks for the replies. Went in this morning and spoke with the manager. He sorted it no questions asked and paid me the full amount. Cheers

Fair play to them, they were under no obligation to pay out.

Well done on getting a result, but remember to check your dockets in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jackie81

I know I will. Thanks again. I know the manager he is a lovely fella. The cashier was just being very argumentative and rude. I know she may not have the authority to pay out. All she had to say was that but she was being very rude to me. And answering the mobile topped it all off. I worked in customer service for five years there is a way to treat people. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

your bet lost, in future fill in your own dockets and write all the information you need on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Good advice....just 11 months late(r)? :confused:

Advertisement