Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper Face Jacks..How does it stay open so late?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Turner wrote: »
    Why dont you ring them and ask them if they have a special license?

No much better idea to just ask people on the internet who don't actually know and who are only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

because it's only 2 o'clock in galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

So they serve drink till 2.30am and play music till 4am or later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Loads of clubs stay open as late as Coppers now. The Village, 92, D2 etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Clubs and pubs around Dublin will finish on time on the dot because the barmen want to go home to bed. They don't get paid extra for staying up all night. Bar staff in Dublin have a strong union to enforce this. Where you have family run pubs - primarily outside Dublin - you will get late drinks and lock ins.
    So raids by Gardai isn't the determining factor in whether a pub serves after hours. How often do you see a raid. Anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

J K wrote: »
    Clubs and pubs around Dublin will finish on time on the dot because the barmen want to go home to bed. They don't get paid extra for staying up all night.

Eh?

You've just had about 5/6 posters in this thread alone confirm Coppers [in addition to D2 and The Village] opens til 4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

cson wrote: »
    tbf it annoys me too when I'm in the queue and see a group of 5/6 lads rocking up and flashing the Garda badge to skip it.

GPA heads get in for free + skip too afaik.

theirs your 1st problem what kinda tool queues to get into a club, guards get into all clubs and pubs for free and skip queues everywhere, not just coppers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

cson wrote: »
    Eh?

You've just had about 5/6 posters in this thread alone confirm Coppers [in addition to D2 and The Village] opens til 4am.

I know lots of places in dublin that open late, including coppers. The vast majority don't however. My post if you read it again is to tell you why most don't. Its not due to some sinister plan or corruption. If the publican told one of his staff to keep serving after time they would simply refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

J K wrote: »
    I know lots of places in dublin that open late, including coppers. The vast majority don't however. My post if you read it again is to tell you why most don't. Its not due to some sinister plan or corruption. If the publican told one of his staff to keep serving after time they would simply refuse.

No they wouldn't and I worked in the pub trade for years. Unions are pretty much dead in Dublin except for a few Mandate shops so you'd get no backing there.

Coppers is owned by a former guard, Cathal Jackson, hence the Jackson Court Hotel and Coppers nightclub. Flannerys is also owned by former Gardai as is McGowans in Phibsboro as far as I know. I'm not getting into conspiracy theories here but in 10 years of working in the trade these types of venues were left alone. And if they are raided then that is just for show- no prosecutions will ever come of it and the superintendent wont be objecting to the license when it comes for renewal in the District Court in September.

Aside from the above there is a hotel on the northside which is also frequented by Gardai, more so those in their 40's and 50's. If you know the staff / night porter there then you can get served pretty much 24/7, I know of a few alcoholics who go there at 7am most mornings.

As far as I know 2.30am is the latest a District Court judge can give a license for. The exception to this is a theatre license which can serve to 4am provided there is some sort of live performance taking place (A DJ will suffice). The venue also has to be a theatre of course and you can't apply for a new theatre license anymore so what the Gaiety has is like gold dust.

Wine Bars on Leeson St are in some sort of grey area, their wine license allows them to serve late but that means they should only be serving wine, which we all know isn't the case.

OP perhaps more bars don't serve late because the market just isn't there anymore. Back in the boom pubs were packed 7 nights a week and there was always a piss up on somewhere. Today they are lucky to get a busy Friday and Saturday night and people are drinking at home before they come out so they're already well pissed when in town and hence drinking a lot less.

Alot of guards drink there. Not only that but every now and again the Garda do show up and shut it down. I think so they can say they have done it.

Kinda like bars in the country. They lock you in and you end up drinking with the local Garda till 5 am.

• Advertisement

Plenty of pubs in Dublin serve very late, well past the official serving time. You just need to know which ones they are (and that's not even including the ones who do lock-ins regularly and never seem to get any hassle for it).

The ones i know of all seem to be owned by guards, or frequented by guards, or close to garda stations, or don't charge guards, or look after the guards, or get lots of off duty guards in, or some theme along those lines. I was in a large pub in Dublin city centre not two weeks ago which was still in full swing at 3am. It's 30 metres from one of the city's main Garda Stations, in it's direct line of sight.

You can probably see what I'm inferring here, and it doesn't just apply to pubs. In Ireland, if you look after the law, the law will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'd say I've been in half a dozen bars/clubs in Dublin city centre where you can get served after 2.30am if not every single weekend, at least occasionally. I don't know anything about the legality of it but it seems that especially when there's a good crowd but no trouble they'll leave the bars open later. I assume it is legal because receipts etc. are decent documentary evidence of the practice and I can't think of anywhere that doesn't issue receipts.

FWIW Coppers gets a lot of stick but in my experience is typically well run. I just don't like it because it's so vast. If you go with friends and somehow lose them, good luck finding them again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

It seems the thing about the Ex Garda owning it pops up alot

So is Coppers and the other venues that some posters have named breaking the law or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Suppose if they finish serving at 2.30 they are not breaking the law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement