Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch want to charge to disconnect GSM monitoring?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all.
    We have decided not to continue with eircom Phonewatch and to use the system as a standalone alarm.

No insurance issues as alarm not listed on the policy.
    (Interestingly even if it was listed on the policy Zurich is offering the same discount for both monitored and unmonitored systems! I presume it qualifies as an unmonitored alarm?)

The infuriating thing is that Eircom want to charge
    a) to disconnect the system or
    b) continue to charge me for any phonecalls they receive from the system!
    This makes no sense to me as I'm sure I can disconnect the GSM myself - I just don't want to break it while doing so.

Can anyone give me pointers?
    I've used the alarm code to bypass the sensor on the GSM panel door and now have door open. GSM is battery powered (installed 1 year ago). What's the next step?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Amazing how they are happy to charge you for whats largly considered an unreliable form of monitoring any way. Simply remove the SIM from the GSM not callout charge & no call charges.
    Come to think of it, they could easily close the account that chip is one with one phone call:eek:......No money in that though..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

My folks had some issues with their phone line where the old phonewatch alarm was interefering with DSL. So, they 'upgraded' to GSM monitoring.

Is it THAT unreliable ?

I know they occasionally get a message saying there was a failed call attempt "Phone Trouble!" error.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So insted of fixing the problem with the line they sell you a GSM instead?:eek:
    Amazing. Did they explaing the risks re GSM jamming?
    Its not a reliable form of monitoring. Many reputable companys are now refusing to connect GSMs for central station monitoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

KoolKid wrote: »
    So inted of fixing the problem with the line they sell you a GSM instead?:eek:
    Amazing. Did they explaing the risks re GSM jamming?
    Its not a reliable form of monitoring. Many reputable companys are now refusing to connect GSMs for central station monitoring.

Yeah, they just disconnected the phone line because they couldn't seem to get the DSL filtering setup to work properly (the modem kept dropping the connection to the DSLAM when the alarm was connected).

I couldn't actually understand the logic of it as there are two phone lines coming into the house (one for a home office, one for domestic) All they had to do was connect the alarm to the business line and it would have worked fine!

I can't understand why they don't just have a DSL-friendly version of the panel! It's 2012, not 1995.
    Surely you can incorporate some kind of filter/pass through system in the panel itself, and assume that most lines have DSL / might have DSL installed at some stage.

All they had to do was put a filter on the alarm.
    More profit in a GSM dialler though.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Dublin9 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    We have decided not to continue with eircom Phonewatch and to use the system as a standalone alarm.

No insurance issues as alarm not listed on the policy.
    (Interestingly even if it was listed on the policy Zurich is offering the same discount for both monitored and unmonitored systems! I presume it qualifies as an unmonitored alarm?)

The infuriating thing is that Eircom want to charge
    a) to disconnect the system or
    b) continue to charge me for any phonecalls they receive from the system!
    This makes no sense to me as I'm sure I can disconnect the GSM myself - I just don't want to break it while doing so.

Can anyone give me pointers?
    I've used the alarm code to bypass the sensor on the GSM panel door and now have door open. GSM is battery powered (installed 1 year ago). What's the next step?

Thanks for any help.

That is a ploy to gain extra revenue for P.W. Handy chargeable call out. The GSM SIM will be turned off when you cancel the monitoring. An easier option is to go into engineering and delete the numbers the alarm rings out on.

I sent you a P.M re the engineer code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 felizdia

altor wrote: »

That is a ploy to gain extra revenue for P.W. Handy chargeable call out. The GSM SIM will be turned off when you cancel the monitoring. An easier option is to go into engineering and delete the numbers the alarm rings out on.

I sent you a P.M re the engineer code.

Altor,
    Is there any chance you might be able to.pm me engineer code. i think we have a similar issue.
    The beeping is driving me mad & i can't stop.it.
    Thank.you

Advertisement