Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

law books

• 03-05-2012 8:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi, I am hoping to go bk to college next year to study law,I will be a mature student so I know it will be hard to get in, just wondering if there is any books I can start studying now to help me when I am applying, or any other advice that will help, can i get volunteer work in the flac??? any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

The best place to start are "Nutshell" books. They're for sale in Hodges Figgis in Dublin or on amazon, and are fairly slim paperback introductions to the main types of law (criminal, contract, land etc.) Start with the Nutshell on the Irish legal system and then work from there.

There's no point starting on the big hardback €120 textbooks until you've had a good look at the nutshells.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutshell-Irish-System-Dorothy-Donovan/dp/1858005949

Which college are you going to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

http://www.legalbooks.ie/product_info.php?products_id=381

While it is a bit pricy at €99 should be able to get a copy in library. Try to pick up an earlier edition second hand is also an option. Check with the college to see if it is recommended reading for first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bluejeans_01

bryne and McCutheon, "The Irish Legal system", is a very good place to start.
    it is a bit pricey though, but most colleges use it so you will probably need it anyway!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bluejeans_01

sorry didnt see the link above! > well proves my point anyway:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

excellent,thanks very much i will check them out. Im planning on either dit or ucd..which would be the better?? criminal law is really what i have my heart set on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

excellent,thanks very much i will check them out. Im planning on either dit or ucd..which would be the better?? criminal law is really what i have my heart set on

If crime is where the heart is then it matters not where you get your degree. I went to neither of your choices but UCD has a very good name in law. Crime that you study in college and crime in practice are two very different things to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hi OP,

DON'T buy books - there are so many good things you can use the money for involving women and booze. On a serious note use the Library. If you buy a text at €115+ you tend to want to get your moneys worth. In all honesty you should be reading across several different texts, not least, because you will find one author better than another. Thats advice for the future though.

As regards getting yourself ready the nutshells are indeed the best thing if you want to buy something but check out your local library. You can also just walk into some college libraries if your local one does have a selection of law books. Universities generally wont expect you to have any great legal knowledge - that's what they are there for - but its hardly going to do you any harm. Some kind of academic writing course maybe a good idea though if you've been out of the loop for a while.

As for volunteering you cant volunteer for FLAC unless you have a law degree (or may have to be practising) unless you have some link to that FLAC centre - e.g. its based out of the institution you attend. That said some institutions like the whole social awareness attitude so any volunteering will help.

Oh and one book you SHOULD buy is a copy of the Constitution - I'd have a passing knowledge of this, politics and current events. Nothing major just start watching the news everyday and reading a decent newspaper - I personally read the Irish Times - reading the legal section on Mondays would also be an idea.

Some other tips get yourself on to http://www.bailii.org/ and read some cases. Donoghue v Stevenson [1932] UKHL 100 is a good start its very widely discussed on wikipedia, youtube and every tort course in the universe. Also look up the Carbolic Smoke Ball co. I didn't find it on Bailii but you'll find zillions of hits on google.

Institution wise DITs Undergrad LLB is only starting this year, UCD and TCD are great but obviously the hardest to get into. Don't discount NUI(M) and DCU or DIT. Apply to all of them and pick from the offers. Don't forget that your app has to be in by 1st Feb 2013. Good luck OP!

One book you should buy is a copy of the Constitution (€3 or so). You would want to have a passing knowledge of this, politics and current events. Nothing major just start watching the news and reading a good newspaper. The Irish Times is my personal choose - it has a legal section every Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hi, I am hoping to go bk to college next year to study law,I will be a mature student so I know it will be hard to get in, just wondering if there is any books I can start studying now to help me when I am applying, or any other advice that will help, can i get volunteer work in the flac??? any help would be great thanks

Hi OP,

think very carefully about this move. Are you thinking of going down the solicitor or barrister route? The law pgDip in DIT seems to be well regarded among solicitor's firms like LK Shields. But some firms will require a degree in law. If so, make sure you are doing an honours degree. You should also bear in mind that you must sit 8 FE1s (Law Society of Ireland entrance exams) after you graduate. This all costs time and money.

If you are thinking of becoming a barrister, then ensure that your degree is recognised by the Kings Inns.

Becoming a FLAC volunteer isn't easy, but keep an eye on their website for opportunities.

Good luck in whatever you decide:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

Thanks for all the replies everyone, very helpful......i'll see ye all in court ; )

Advertisement