Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Rabbit

Options
  • 03-05-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all its my first post here :)
    I bought rabbit yesterday has anyone got any nice recipes for cooking it?
    I had rabbit some years ago in Malta and in Portugal. I think both times they were pan fried in garlic and some kind of herb.
    So if anyone has a nice recipe i would like to try it...

Thank you,
    Steoc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Pretty much any cookery writer I have read reckons that rabbit pieces and chicken pieces are interchangeable in recipes. So start with your favourite, tried and tested, chicken recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Thank you i have seen some earlier post on here that look nice.
    I might just keep it simple and pan fry it in garlic and rosemary. Or then again maybe a nice stew seeing as the summer is like winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Put freshly jointed pieces in salted water and into the fridge overnight.

Next day drain and rinse, then parboil them.

Roll in beaten egg and then breadcrumbs, or use your favourite batter.

Fry them until golden and serve in a big bowl on the bone.

Works best with young grazers, lots of recipes for game in the hunting forum as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I recommend the brining (as Deise Musashi suggested) if you fry the jointed rabbit.

However, I prefer rabbit stewed or braised as it has much less fat than chicken & is very prone to end up dry as sawdust if not cooked properly.

That said - enjoy! It is a beautiful meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I slow cook rabbit, when I get some. It goes into the slow cooker with veg stock and stew veg for 8 hours. The one problem with rabbit is that it's so lean it can be very dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

had some the other night. cooked it in a pot with some fried shallots, bacon bits, stock and white wine over low heat for 1h30. then reduced the sauce, added cream and mustard, and served with a bit of rice. delicious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's wild rabbit, it will need long slow cooking - I like beer and mustard with mine. It is, however, worth taking the saddles off and cooking them separately - treat as chicken breast and cook (not over cook) quickly.

I'd imagine you could treat farmed rabbit any way you would chicken.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I cook it either in red wine stew or mustard usually. I bought one last week that I intend to do in the slow cooker but am not set on a recipe yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

A great recipe is the Civet de lapin, which roughly means Rabbit stew with red wine. I found a recipe in French, but you can use Google Translate and it's easy to understand.

One important thing: be careful when you cut the rabbit into pieces. It has very delicate bones and, if you crush them, they tend to break into small shards, which you might find when chewing on it. I knew a butcher who cut rabbits with a cleaver, eating them was like walking in a minefield, risking to bite into a bone every time.

Advertisement