Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas - Pay & Display parking WTF?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I reckon the convenience would be well worth the 80 cent.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

But the issue is that people link the outgoing of money to an event.

eg - pay 80 cent now - that costs money now :(
    Drive to mahon - Shur the car is has plenty of petrol, I'll head there instead. its not costing me extra NOW

It's the same kind of mentality that causes people to drive WELL out of their way to "save" 50 cent on a fill of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

I'm thinking the big mistake is including saturday as a pay for day, village had very few cars around, maybe they'd all gone to the shopping centres car parks or maybe they headed to town/Mahon but the place looked dead.

A free hour would give a give a business benefit and a spot turnover benefit but we'll never see it happen. The mum in law says that the community center is ruined for parking now, cooks can't even get a place to park to do the wheels, I see the private campers stalking the lands soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

deRanged wrote: »
    I reckon the convenience would be well worth the 80 cent.
    Faith wrote: »
    Exactly.

It's the principle of the thing for me. I still - despite paying outlandish fuel prices and motor tax - enjoy driving my car (On the worst condition roads I remember in Cork in a long time). It's expensive enough without this being tagged on.

I refuse to acknowledge that this is 'clever' or 'smart' thinking on the part of the council. It's another f*cking tax I don't need to pay dreamt up by some idiotic public servant trying to justify their exhorbitant wage packet and existance.

It's 80c now. Next year, 1.20, then 1.50. Anyone else remember how quickly parking discs shot up in price over the space of 2 years in the City? I do!

Owen wrote: »

It's 80c now. Next year, 1.20, then 1.50. Anyone else remember how quickly parking discs shot up in price over the space of 2 years in the City? I do!

There are plenty of two hour parking zones in the city in fairness, whenever I drive in I park along by the college of comm, €2 for two hours, it's quite reasonably really.

The douglas rates are expensive in comparison to that but €0.80/hour isn't out of the way, presuming it will be €1.20/hour next year or the year after is jumping the gun a tad I reckon. Time will tell and all that.

• Advertisement

That's assuming you stay the 2 hours. Most don't. Anytime I use a parking disc, it's never for the full two hours, most times I don't even use the hour.

I'm suprised by how easy people are accepting yet another cost on to our every day lives.

I'm suprised by how easy people are accepting yet another cost on to our every day lives.

I see it as preferable to having the majority of on street parking in the area occupied for long periods by staff or all day parkers :)
    I know someone who worked in Boylesports for a good few years, they open at 10am I think, when she got to Douglas most of the on street parking spaces were taken every day, even the ones beyond the cemetery, total and utter abuse of free public parking, she herself would park for close to 12 hours during the summer months or on Fridays when they remained open 'till 9.30pm.

I don't think you can classify it as 'abuse' when it's free and unregulated.

I guess both sides aren't going to agree in this situation, but we're rapidly approaching a county where it'll be impossible to park conveniently without paying for it, and in time after increases - paying handsomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I don't think you can classify it as 'abuse' when it's free and unregulated.

I guess both sides aren't going to agree in this situation, but we're rapidly approaching a county where it'll be impossible to park conveniently without paying for it, and in time after increases - paying handsomly.
    true. there is a major habbit in this country of: if there is a problem, tax it or add a level of bureaucracy(usually needing a tax to pay for it)
    we never take innovative steps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What a joke :mad:

Last Saturday I parked my car outside the indian restraunt paid for 1 hours parking.

But I want to park more than one hour because I was in Barrys pub watching the Liverpool game and had to go back to the damn machine and put in another 80 cent. Why cant it let you park for 2 hours :mad:

The whole system is screwed up!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Personally I'd prefer to pay 80cent and get a park rather than have free parking taken up by people who park there all day.

Advertisement