Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewers On The Bay

Options
  • 03-05-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

The Oslo's self-promoting event is this weekend. They've done this a couple of years now, this may be their third. Think I'll check it out this time.

Brewers-on-the-Bay-2012-poster-579x800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Went to it last year and it was very good, would've loved to go again this year but can't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Been to the previous ones. Really good if you are into proper beers. Great opportunity to try beers from brewerys you could not normally source.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sure events get sponsored, but I'm not sure it's totally self-promoting.

I went to the beer-fest in the Black Box the first year I was here .. back in the olden days (5 years ago :-) ) when the range of beers available here was a lot smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

'tis a great event, pity I cant make it due to work. Some of the beers being made inb this country right now are top notch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Argh, thought this was next week. Don't know if this is an acceptable reason for not visiting my mother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Interesting, very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Really looking forward to this - went last year and thought it was great. As mentioned above, the Irish microbreweries are producing some superb beers at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

looking forward to this, missed the first two for legit reasons but this year i'm free to attend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I don't drink alcohol at all, but I think variety in beers is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Definitely maybe going Sunday.

• Advertisement

Should be there at 6

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aiming for about 8 myself. Anyone else heading in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Getting a bit of work done in college but will call in later this evening.

If you're around Salthill you might catch some of this too;
    http://www.antostalsalthill.com/

Was good night, tried many beers from the various breweries and some of Oslo's own. One of the beers at the bar was a staggering €6 a pint! Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Did you try it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

biko wrote: »
    Was good night, tried many beers from the various breweries and some of Oslo's own. One of the beers at the bar was a staggering €6 a pint! Not worth it.

What was the beer? They have a few that rotate at that price. Brew dog 5am saint being one. Well worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I wouldnt pay €6 for 5am Saint(personal taste) but some of the dearer ones of that ilk are more than worth the price.

Yes it was a 5am Saint beer. The Dark Arts was also a weird one.
    On the other hand - Hooker, Belfast Blonde, Metalman, Dungarvan Brewing, Eight Degrees - all lovely. I went through those beer tickets like wildfire :)

The BBQ out the back was nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »
    Yes it was a 5am Saint beer. The Dark Arts was also a weird one.
    On the other hand - Hooker, Belfast Blonde, Metalman, Dungarvan Brewing, Eight Degrees - all lovely. I went through those beer tickets like wildfire :)

The BBQ out the back was nice as well.
    Love Dark Arts, chocolate/coffee flavours make it a damn fine porter. Metalman tastes too soapy for my liking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wasnt as good as the other years in my opinion.
    A lot of the brewerys were shareing stands this year and a lot of the Master Brewers were missing. The girl from Messers McGuires is gone back to the States unfortunately so they didnt come atall. John from the Oz didnt seem to be there on Sunday either.
    The DJ wasnt necessary either. A couple of our group left when he started (nothing personal if you read Mr DJ. Its just that Ale and nightclubby music dont go together. It got better near the end though). Found a couple of surprises though: the Belgian Blonde from Tipp was brilliant and I really liked the Tempted cider and the story behind it.
    All in all another success. Wish they could do it more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Managed a half hour window on sunday afternoon. Seemed like a good event but they had the match on a big screen which i thought took away from it a tad.

The Dungarvan RyePA was delicious. Only tried one other, the Gale Ale, can't remember the brewer, nice too but not as nice as hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was there fore a few hours Sunday afternoon and must say I really enjoyed it. None of the beers were ground breaking but the event itself was good. The ones that stood out were Helvic Gold, Rye, and Hooker's dunkel but several kegs were tapped out. I didn't bother with Galway Bay Brewery or Porterhouse as I can have them regularly enough. Cork had a good turnout with 3 breweries. The bbq is the back was tasty.

I thought it was great value, I started with 8 tickets which were less than €20. I remember talking to people who went to the Black Box event who thought it was expensive and spoke to a brewer who said it cost so much to be there it was a loss-maker. So this seems like a really positive thing that the local brewery hosting this event (hopefully cheaply or free to it's brother brewers) allowing us to sample a nice variety for very little cost.

The beer tickets were 2.25 each which is on the pricey side but fine for a glass of something you want to try out.
    Didn't like that there was a DJ, made it feel like a club rather than a social event. Some CD with German beer songs (lol) would have worked just as well.
    DJs always feel like they have to crank up the volume, we weren't there for the music...
    I was there between 6 and 12 and didn't feel the place was jammers at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

The Dungarvan brews were great!! must of had 4 or 5 pints of the Rye PA (was told every time that it's only 1 or 2 pints left in the barrel). The proper hand drawn pumps had me all reminiscent of drinking proper ales back in Wales. It's a shame we don't see them enough as it's nice not drinking gas drawn beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Called in for a look but it was very sunny outside and very dark inside Oslo.. funds were tight so decided to get a bag of chips and walk the prom instead, then have a couple of home brews in the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Spent a few hours at this on Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed it. I thought €2.25 for a beer token (which bought a half pint) was a very fair price considering the selection of brews on offer and the fact that there was no admission charge. One of the staff members also dropped off a couple of free tokens at several tables, including ours, which made it even better value.

My favourite beers were the Trouble Brewing Spelt Saison (very unusual and flavourful) and the O'Hara's stout (at 5.2% ABV, this seemed to be a different stout than its two bottled staples, the regular and Leann Follain varieties. Very tasty with a delicious coffee flavour to it).

I also got a taste of the Tempted Strawberry cider which was really good.

Spent a few hours at this on Sunday afternoon and really enjoyed it. I thought €2.25 for a beer token (which bought a half pint) was a very fair price considering the selection of brews on offer and the fact that there was no admission charge. One of the staff members also dropped off a couple of free tokens at several tables, including ours, which made it even better value.

My favourite beers were the Trouble Brewing Spelt Saison (very unusual and flavourful) and the O'Hara's stout (at 5.2% ABV, this seemed to be a different stout than its two bottled staples, the regular and Leann Follain varieties. Very tasty with a delicious coffee flavour to it).

I also got a taste of the Tempted Strawberry cider which was really good.
    Also loved the Spelt for some reason, don't usually like that style of beer. Went on Saturday and enjoyed it immensely. Thought the price was fair. People I was with left but something convinced me to stay longer...

If anyone needed another reason to avoid **** beer. http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog
    Diageo (the main sponsor) approached us at the start of the meal and said under no circumstances could the award be given to BrewDog. They said if this happened they would pull their sponsorship from all future BII events and their representatives would not present any of the awards on the evening.’
    We were as gobsmacked as you by Diageo’s behaviour. We made the wrong decision under extreme pressure. We should have stuck to our guns and gave the award to BrewDog.‘

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Jim wrote: »
    If anyone needed another reason to avoid **** beer. http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/diageo-v-brewdog

Was just reading up on that, what cnuts diageo are! Blackmailing that they'll pull event sponsorship if the voting panel awarded brewdog! Absolutely disgusting cronyism

• Advertisement
Advertisement