Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subwoofer speaker compatibility

• 03-05-2012 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an old Bush subwoofer without speakers (55W I think).
    I was going to get 5 new speakers (centre, front left, back right, rear left, rear right) from a used Panasonic home entertainment system.

What do I need to check to make sure they're compatible?

P.S. I do intent to get a decent set-up at some stage but until then...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

What's the model number of the Bush?
    The DVDAV11K used 4 OHM speakers. 8 OHMs will probably be fine but won't be as loud.

BTW, that 55 watts is power consumption, not audio power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    What's the model number of the Bush?
    The DVDAV11K used 4 OHM speakers. 8 OHMs will probably be fine but won't be as loud.

BTW, that 55 watts is power consumption, not audio power.

I'll have to check the model number. As long as it's not going to damage the amp/speakers I'm happy.

"BTW, that 55 watts is power consumption, not audio power."

D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

I have an old Bush subwoofer without speakers (55W I think).
    I was going to get 5 new speakers (centre, front left, back right, rear left, rear right) from a used Panasonic home entertainment system.

FYI , you have a old Bush "Subwoofer with integrated multichannel amp "

Most subwoofers dont have multichannel amps. Just an amp for the sub channel.

Also , watch out for those panasonic speakers , clearly they are from whats called an all in one box , where the amp was either integrated into the disc player or the sub.

The speakers on such units are only ever meant to be hooked up to that unit and that unit alone , and in a lot of cases serious damage can be done by hooking them up to other units.

Check the speaker impedances carefully , if they are 4 ohms or more then you will probably be OK. But a lot of those all in one boxes have speaker impedances less than 4 Ohms , such as 2.5 or 3 Ohms. If that is the case , then they are useless on anything else , they will overload the integrated amp and kill it.

Advertisement