Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Tv

Options
  • 03-05-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

My inlaws bought a Philips LCD tv less than 3 years ago...It had the usual warranty with Harvey Norman...

The picture is gone distorted to the point that its unwatchable, lines going through it, half a picture etc....

Would there be any sort of come back from Philips or Harvey Norman? Surely it should not go like this in under 3 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Harvey Norman are your port of call.

Warranty is irrelevant, the product is required to operate without fault for a reasonable period of time, and the retailer must deal with any issues which arise.

There is no standard definition of what a "reasonable period" of time is, as it varies from product to product, but I would expect to get a minimum of 4 fault-free years from a TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mad m wrote: »
    My inlaws bought a Philips LCD tv less than 3 years ago...It had the usual warranty with Harvey Norman...

The picture is gone distorted to the point that its unwatchable, lines going through it, half a picture etc....

Would there be any sort of come back from Philips or Harvey Norman? Surely it should not go like this in under 3 years.

Would be worth while checking the TV using different sources e.g. a DVD player . Did it get a knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

BrianD wrote: »
    Would be worth while checking the TV using different sources e.g. a DVD player . Did it get a knock?

Yeah will checkout a different source, it hasn't moved an inch since it was first place on TV stand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What are you getting your picture from? Also check that you've put nothing near it that could be causing interference. It's worthwhile eliminating possible issues before going back to them. However, the problem as you describe seems to be more than what could be caused by interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

No disputing it's the retailer that should be sorting things out for you but in my experience you can sometimes have some luck with the manufacturer if the retailer isn't being helpful.

• Advertisement

Just an update on this, the tv went back to normal. So didn't pursue anymore about it until it went funny last couple of days. Tried everything using different sources, got another tv to try it and it definitely the LCD and not the connections. There is not even a picture now, just all colours and just sound.

Went down to Harvey Normans with receipt and they said they can't do anything, that Philips were doing 2 years warranty on their lcd's but seeing as its over that they couldn't do anything. They went onto to say that they don't even sell Philips tv's now and Philips have pulled out of Ireland. I went on to say that the LCD tv should last more than 3 years ( actually its 3 years in December). He gave me a number to ring Philips but said it was doubtful they would do anything....where to go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Contact the European Consumer Centre for advice
    http://www.eccireland.ie/

AFAIK electrical products have 5 years warranty when bought in Germany - perhaps you could therefore say that you would expect it to work for this length of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

There is not even a picture now, just all colours and just sound.

I know you reported a problem in May but just to rule something out, did the latest issue materialise following the analogue switch-off on Oct 24th? Many LCD TV's without the necessary Saorview tuner would deliver sound but no picture. Highly unlikely to be this, but just to eliminate the possibility etc.
    Went down to Harvey Normans with receipt and they said they can't do anything, that Philips were doing 2 years warranty on their lcd's but seeing as its over that they couldn't do anything. They went onto to say that they don't even sell Philips tv's now and Philips have pulled out of Ireland. I went on to say that the LCD tv should last more than 3 years ( actually its 3 years in December). He gave me a number to ring Philips but said it was doubtful they would do anything....where to go from here?

The fact that Philips have chosen to exit the Irish TV market is entirely Harvey Norman's problem, not yours. You should pursue this matter with the retailer alone - it is they you purchased from and as such, it is they who are deemed responsible under law. Many retailers will typically attempt to deflect customers with talk of warranty - it's important to remember any warranty is merely an additional service offered by the manufacturer. It does not negate or supersede your Statutory rights, which typically afford you far greater scope to seek remedy for any problems encountered.

The Sale of Goods Act 1980 is the legislation under which you should seek redress. Though the Act specifies Repair, Replacement or Refund, it's up to the seller to decide on which method is most appropriate. The main points which would seem most applicable are:

- Goods must be of merchantable quality – goods should be of reasonable quality taking into account what they are meant to do, their durability and their price
    - Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

Given your TV is under 3 years old, it would seem reasonable to expect the unit to still be in full working order (assuming normal usage / no rough treatment etc.). The only slight reservation I'd have is that you possibly should have acted when the initial fault presented, though as the fault corrected itself it's understandable that you let it be.

The advice I'd give you is to act fast on this. If you're going to deal with Harvey Norman, get the managers name and send a registered letter (with a copy of the receipt) outlining the nature of the fault and that you're seeking to have the issue resolved as a matter of urgency, as per your Statutory rights as set out under SOGA 1980.

You may also stipulate a reasonable time-frame by which you'd expect a reply. From now on, it'd be preferable to communicate in a manner whereby you can keep a record of what each party has said - hard to do that on the phone or in person.

Before the switch over the TV was acting up on occasion, this prompted the in laws to get UPC in, the installer said the analogue signal was terrible and it was causing the fault with showing programmes on the TV.

So UPC was installed and TV was working great until a few days ago, I checked all sources and then switched tv's. it was definitly the Philips TV..

Thanks all for the advice, will follow up on it....

Well the saga continues, I said Id try Philips first before going back to retailer. Philips weren'y very forthcoming. Went back to HN and was blanked totally.

Had original receipt, said to the actually sales guy who sold us the tv originally all about the SOGA 1980, they werent budging. So next step is to send a reg letter to manager of electrical dept....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the saga continues, I said Id try Philips first before going back to retailer. Philips weren'y very forthcoming. Went back to HN and was blanked totally.

Had original receipt, said to the actually sales guy who sold us the tv originally all about the SOGA 1980, they werent budging. So next step is to send a reg letter to manager of electrical dept....
    Don't forget to include a reasonble deadline to come back on the issue with a proposed action plan (I'd say 10 working days normally but we're in the Christmas period so may need to extend that).

You initial post was in May, you should have been in the SmCC buy June or July. You may have significantly weakened your case by delay. I suggest getting a move on.

You initial post was in May, you should have been in the SmCC buy June or July. You may have significantly weakened your case by delay. I suggest getting a move on.

I know I know, my own fault. My brother/sister inlaws are far and wide all over the world, so the son in law is left to do the running around...Not enough hours in day...:rolleyes:

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You initial post was in May, you should have been in the SmCC buy June or July

The problem which first presented in May corrected itself shortly thereafter, so it was natural enough for the OP's relatives to let it sit - it then went haywire again last month.

Though a more formal approach may seem onerous OP, it's one that should prompt a reaction from Harvey Norman and yield a clear response one way or the other. You've attempted to resolve the matter twice in-store and have met with indifference from their representatives on both occasions - time to sharpen your pencil methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Not sure if it's relevant to your case, but I bought a new Philips 40PFL9704H from HN (Limerick) about 18 months ago. After a few months there was an intermittent problem with the sound, and a few episodes where the TV went haywire, switching itself on and off, with picture break-up too. I got back to HN and the sales guy suggested I download and install the latest firmware for that model. I did this and the problem seems to have been cured. Have you tried that option?

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I might be in the wrong here but really all you can do is appeal to the good will of the retailer.
    2 years guarantee and its 3 years old. Unfortunate and it shouldn't happen and yes definitely not what one would expect from a new TV but really rather clearcut from a legal angle I would think.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I might be in the wrong here but really all you can do is appeal to the good will of the retailer.
    2 years guarantee and its 3 years old. Unfortunate and it shouldn't happen and yes definitely not what one would expect from a new TV but really rather clearcut from a legal angle I would think.

I don't mean to be rude but you couldn't be more wrong. You are right re it being fairly clear cut but in the opposite way to which you think. Again not trying to be rude you have a common misconception. Have a read through similar posts as to why.

Advertisement