Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate Fixings

• 03-05-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I am building 2 pillars to hang gates off at a front entrance. The ope will be around 16ft so it will be 2 gates in total. I will have some steel support inside the block columns (which will be stone faced). Im just concerned about hanging the gates and fixing onto the stone/block and how thats achieved?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi, You don't hang the Gates off the Stone pillars, you hang them off the Steel which is set inside the pillars. Use two heavy steel plates one for the top hinge and the other for the bottom hinge. ( for 2 Gates 4 is required. ) Make them out of something like 1/2 by 2 or 3 inch wide. Weld a 3/4 inch pin to each plate to carry the Gate. You will need to decide what length the plates need to be, as the thickness of the Piers will decide that. Allow about 1 inch for clearance between the pier and the Gate.
    Some of the Farm shops sell heavy duty Hinge sets for Gates.

Also don't forget Gate Stops under the center and for when the gate is opened back.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

thanks, how do I fit the outer plates to the inner steel - do I weld rods through the blockwork and stone to fix the plate to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Yes you build it so that the Steel is carrying the weight. Set the Steel piers into concrete with the hinge plates in place. then build your block piers around the steel. Leave for a few Weeks for block work to cure. Then back fill with Concrete. Do you have the Gates yet. ?

Advertisement