Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting on your own

Options
  • 03-05-2012 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Im in a house share at the moment. I was in college so really couldn't afford a place on my own. But once I get work and start getting money im getting a place. As much as I like to have cheaper rent and bills, I need a place on my own. I get migraines alot and one trigger is strong smells, so it includes my housemates cooking. The smell of big fry ups in the morning is too strong for me.

My problem is money. When I get work I will prob be on 300 week. So can it be done? Renting a place for about 100 euro a week. Saving a bit each week, maybe 50 euro a week for bills, esb, heating, internet. Or am I mad, it leaves about 150 after. And I have to get food and maybe travel out of that. I cant save much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

It depends on where you want to rent. Why do you think you you will only earn 300 a week - have you got a job yet? If you have just graduated from college you may be able to get a better paying job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Impossible to answer unless you give an indication of what part of the country you are planning on living in by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Also interesting in this outcome.... BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

But whos jugs can your poor housemate stare at then?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Im in a house share at the moment. I was in college so really couldn't afford a place on my own. But once I get work and start getting money im getting a place. As much as I like to have cheaper rent and bills, I need a place on my own. I get migraines alot and one trigger is strong smells, so it includes my housemates cooking. The smell of big fry ups in the morning is too strong for me.

My problem is money. When I get work I will prob be on 300 week. So can it be done? Renting a place for about 100 euro a week. Saving a bit each week, maybe 50 euro a week for bills, esb, heating, internet. Or am I mad, it leaves about 150 after. And I have to get food and maybe travel out of that. I cant save much.
    Sounds like you would be cutting it tight, although this depends on the cost of renting and living in the area you wish to rent. For example, if you are considering Dublin, your budget seems pretty unrealistic. You'll also need to carefully work out your commuting cost wherever you live.

Though it's not ideal, perhaps you should take the job first so that you have a clear idea of your monthly wage. Then save as much as possible before moving, so that you have a contingency fund for unexpected expenses (e.g. higher than average bills etc) Also, I presume you are in a position to put down a deposit equivalent to one month's rent, which will be required in most cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

deccurley wrote: »
    But whos jugs can your poor housemate stare at then?
    Keep it clean please.

What happens on After Hours stays on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I haven't managed it on <400 pw in Dublin op. Decent 1 beds are about the 600 mark anything below are tiny or a bessit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A few things to consider:

What are your other outgoings? Do you have a car? Any loans? Credit cards? How much do you spend on your phone each month?

Where abouts in the country are you looking to rent? In my area (Kildare) there isnt a hope in hell you will rent alone on €300. Other parts of the country might be a bit easier to find a one bedroom apartment for somewhere in the region of €400.

If you assume you are going to earn €1200 a month, then based on my experience you can factor in at least €50 a month on ESB (and quite a bit more during winter if you are using electric heating), €30 a month on internet, another maybe €30 a month on TV, maybe €50 a week on food and general household bits and bobs (assuming you dont want to live on Tescos noodles!), €20 a month minimum on mobile bill/credit. That leaves you with around €120 a week or a little more to live on, and its not factoring in running car/travel charges. Its also not taking into account things like contents insurance which is about €100 a year, TV license (€160 a year I think), and possible charges like bin charges if they are not included in rent.

I would strongly advise sitting down and working out all potential charges (worst case scenarios just to be sure) and then making a decision. Its going to be tight regardless on that kind of money, but the last thing you want to do is leave yourself miserable because you cant afford to turn on the heating or buy decent food. I was earning about €2k a month when I lived alone and honestly I really struggled for the 6 months I was there (granted my rent was about €700 a month and I have a car to run).

Advertisement