Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

have lyrics need chords

• 03-05-2012 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Is there any sort of science in choosing the chords for a song . Im a nearly intermediate guitar player, and I have been trying with a capo and open chords.
    I have to use the basic knowledge of have to drag a tune out of a song . What I do is try all the open chords in a capo position then move it down the neck until I have an opening chord. Its not the ideal method if there is any other tricks for a basic player to make a song Im all ears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

Is there any sort of science in choosing the chords for a song

It's called music theory :)

if you can find the key your song is in that would help. if you have your first chord, then you have a range of chords you can use that are in key with that chord etc. you could try plucking a melody and using the root notes of that to form your chords. you really should learn some music theory though, it will help a alot, as will learning a few scales etc once you understand the concept of chord construction.

i use this for quick reference : http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I have a basic knowledge of scales , how do I find what key im singing in , Im a limited singer . Its probably in the key of strangled dolphins.

I sang do ray me fa so la etc etc into a tuner and it starts and ends in Bb.
    Does this mean I sing in Bb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

lol.. well your vocal range will influence what key the song is in, because you can always transpose a song to another key to fit your range. perhaps you should try for some vocal lessons?
    I sang do ray me fa so la etc etc into a tuner and it starts and ends in Bb.
    Does this mean I sing in Bb

it's possible if that's the lowest/highest note you can sustain.. but with some vocal training and warmup exercises you should be able to extend that range.

Itd be good if I could sing in a tuner and have it staying on the same note the word started on , Id probably have to reinvent the scale system to put these notes on the same scale I fear haha.
    The cloptrop scale of vocal neglet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Practice. Trying starting with something simple like G to C to D to C and back to G in a basic strum and time. While yoou do that, try to hum along to it, with no words. Now you have a melody. Now try to fit words to the melody. For example, if your melody has six notes per 'bar', then you need around six syllables in your line of verse. And there you go, you have a section of a song. Now, a decent trick to pull is to play the 'relative minor' (look it up) of the major scale you are playing in, which in this case is Em. Now the next section is in the key of Em. Try maybe Em, Am, Em, D. Now you can go back to G and start again.

It's really that simple. Even the most complex symphony is built on these type of principles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Meehanmeehan

Yes, you can learn the diatonic chords of a scale.
    They're all built of the major scale. I'd suggest properly reading into this but the for now the chords built of off the C major scale are:
    I C major
    II D minor
    III E minor
    IV F major
    V G major
    VI A minor
    VII B diminished
    VII C major

Conversely, the chords of A minor (C major's relative minor) are:
    I A minor
    II B diminished
    III C major
    IV D minor
    V E minor
    VI F major
    VII G major
    VIII I minor

BUUUUTT before learning all of that
    Ditch the capo and learn bar chords, they require more finger strength but they are much more useful than open chords.

Another thing is once you learn the diatonic chords (also known as harmonizing the scale), you have to realise that this is not a set of rules for writing songs, it is a guide for chords that work well together.
    A lot of great progressions can come out of chords that fit no scale.
    Let your ears guide what the song needs, not the scale.

Advertisement