Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaying without being a spammer.

• 03-05-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm setting up some private hosting for an application. This application will be running on servers in a datacentre in a private LAN. 10.0....

Users will connect to the private lan, either via VPN client or a site to site VPN.

The application does some emailing so I need an SMTP server.

The plan is to run an SMTP server on one of the servers, which will only be accessible by those servers. The application will be sending from multiple email domains via this single server, and probably via a single username authenticating to the SMTP server.

The from and reply addresses will be the user's own email adress so that replies should route back to their inbox.

I have two questions

1) Do I need to have any inbound SMTP routing to this server, or have an MX record for it if it's only ever going to be sending.

2) am I going to have issues with spam filters because of a config like this.

My knowledge of SMTP extends only to running our own normal internal SBS box.

Also any reccomendations for a basic SMTP server for 2008R2, I dont want to use microsoft's own SMTP as it requires IIS, which I dont want.

Any thoughts and suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Firewall and lock down the Service to only except SMTP connection from a white-listed range of IPs.

In work we use an internal reply that then forwards to an external one in the DMZ.
    It's got about 38 domain names setup on it and is isolated { different Server in another DC on a completely different IP range then our MX records } from our main incoming SMTP Servers.

The only problem we have had is with the IP need added to a SPAM list after a badly planned PR spam press release.

Advertisement