Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much tip for lunch

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Good morning!

I am wondering usually how much tip would you be willing to leave for lunch? Usually it's 10/12/15 Euro menu, would you just leave 1 euro or nothing? Does it make any difference if it is a small restaurant or pub? I am not talking about a fancy restaurant here. Is it a different story for dinner?

Any suggestion or personal experience welcome. Thanks a million in advance!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lunch in a pub? No tip.

If it's waiter service and maybe 2 euro.

I'd normally only tip for dinner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RichDING

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Lunch in a pub? No tip.

If it's waiter service and maybe 2 euro.

I'd normally only tip for dinner though.
    Thanks! So normally no tip even in a small restaurant with waiters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If it's waiter service, I usually tip 10%. If its self service, I wouldn't tip.

ETA: Thats if its good, if the staff are rubbish, no tip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
    Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
    Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
    Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
    Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make ****.
    Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.
    Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ****ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?
    Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
    Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.
    Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.
    Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?
    Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

thanks guys. waiting for more votes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mmcn90 wrote: »
    if the staff are rubbish, no tip
    If the service is poor and you don't tip, the staff may just presume that you don't tip anyway. Better to make a point by leaving 10 cent or let them know that the service was poor..

I wouldn't tip for lunch in a pub but might in a small restaurant if the service was good.

if the staff are rubbish, no tip
    If the service is poor and you don't tip, the staff may just presume that you don't tip anyway. Better to make a point by leaving 10 cent or let them know that the service was poor..

I wouldn't tip for lunch in a pub but might in a small restaurant if the service was good.

And if you leave 10c they'll just assume you're cheap ;) Believe me, they'll get the message if they work a whole shift and don't earn any tips. The amount of people I see tipping for what I would call very substandard service is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I don't tip the majority of the time. Surely everyone is on minnimum wage at the very least?

Depending on the job I am working at, I don't get paid much more than that and nobody tips me when I do a good job. It is different in the States because they have a wacky culture where ppl don't get paid very much and it is expected that you tip. The same is not the case here.

You may think people get paid minimum wage, its not always the case though. For example, my current job, I get paid €4 p/h basic so I rely on my tips. Yes the law says I must be paid €8.65, but that doesnt happen and I need the job. In fact, the tips make it a decent paying job.

• Advertisement

You may think people get paid minimum wage, its not always the case though. For example, my current job, I get paid €4 p/h basic so I rely on my tips. Yes the law says I must be paid €8.65, but that doesnt happen and I need the job. In fact, the tips make it a decent paying job.

Is that not illegal then?

It is illegal, but you'd be surprised how many people do it and tbh with tips I can earn €15 p/h on a good day, hence why I stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It is illegal, but you'd be surprised how many people do it and tbh with tips I can earn €15 p/h on a good day, hence why I stick with it.
    were do you work so I can report it.
    tips or not its slave labour and illegal.

So i presume your boss isnt paying employee PRSI and probably not paying any tax at all?

were do you work so I can report it.
    tips or not its slave labour and illegal.

Try every takaway in Ireland that delivers ;)

And degsy, you'd assume right.

Most pizza places and takeaways pay drivers €4-5 per hour, if its quiet you don't earn money, if its busy you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Degsy wrote: »
    So i presume your boss isnt paying employee PRSI and probably not paying any tax at all?

I would also assume that mmcn isn't paying any tax on his earnings or his tips.....

Fot the record, I'm with nice guys Eddie on this one. I don't believe in tipping as a standard but don't mind doing it if I get exceptional service, beyond what would be naturally expected.

It's job that you get paid to do. So what if it's minimum wage. You think someone packing the shelves in Tesco's or Lidl earns any more than that. Why don't you tip them guys.....

I only tip cause of peer pressure most of the time

We've gone completely off topic, but I still stand by my point. I don't refuse to tip simply because I believe the staff member earns enough. If the service is good I tip, if its not I don't.

Try every takaway in Ireland that delivers ;)

And degsy, you'd assume right.

Most pizza places and takeaways pay drivers €4-5 per hour, if its quiet you don't earn money, if its busy you do.

And yet they make 500% profit on a bag of chips and christ knows how much more on a pizza....no wonder a well-known chipper family are amongst the biggest landlords in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

We've gone completely off topic, but I still stand by my point. I don't refuse to tip simply because I believe the staff member earns enough. If the service is good I tip, if its not I don't.

In terms of Pizza delivery, whats good service? Honestly.

We have a different culture to the USA in that our minimum wage is set such that tipping should be irrelevant. In the US service jobs are paid less than the minimum wage because it should be made up in tips thus incentivising workers to provide the best service possible. Thay also have to declare tips for tax purposes and I guarantee you that does not happen in Ireland.

By and large in Ireland I don't tip outside of restaurants where if a bill came to €57-€59 ish I'd just say keep it. I'm saying this as a person who worked a tipping job in the States so I know what the craic is.

Basically it comes down to culture; we don't have a tipping culture here and they do in the US. I respect other peoples cultures when I'm in their country and but the same time I don't expect to be obligated to pay homage to it in my own country.

If the service is exceptional then I make an exception simples. For your average Pizza Delivery/Taxi/Waitress absolutely not. I'd imagine if you tried to tip a barman over here they'd do a double take and wonder what the **** was wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

,If the service is poor and you don't tip, the staff may just presume that you don't tip anyway. Better to make a point by leaving 10 cent or let them know that the service was poor..

ye ok america

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

cson wrote: »
    In terms of Pizza delivery, whats good service? Honestly.

Think of it as protection money. You're tipping so that next time he doesn't spit on your pizza for not tipping the last time!*

*I'm sure this doesn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Recently worked in a restaurant in Western Australia. They don't tip EVER.

Thanks guys!

I was just wondering if not leaving tips for normal service would offend the waiter or not. I guess the answer is NO here.

Of course I would give tip for exceptional service. Most of the waiter/waitress I come across are very friendly, which makes it hard to make a fine line between excellent experience (tip) and normal experience (no tip) though.

About the minimum wages, unfortunately "illegal" is becoming "normal" for this business. It is very sad for the country and almost everybody, well, not the bosses of the takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Generally I go for 10%.

I often go to a bar also where the food is first-rate and the service is excellent. I'm happy to give 10% there too. :)

In Ireland, I normally tip around 10-15% for decent food service, up to 20% when the waiter/waitress has gone above the call of duty, or been extra friendly or helpful.

Regarding zero tipping, i think the "you have to tip something" attitude is a fallacy. I would make no bones about tipping nothing at all for bad, lazy, or slow service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

I don't tip the majority of the time. Surely everyone is on minnimum wage at the very least?

Depending on the job I am working at, I don't get paid much more than that and nobody tips me when I do a good job. It is different in the States because they have a wacky culture where ppl don't get paid very much and it is expected that you tip. The same is not the case here.

well said. Why tip people on at least the minimum wage, when other workers on the minimum wage do not get a tip? Why haggle with someone who may not be even earning the wages of a waiter/waitress?

Advertisement