Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Music - Theory?

• 03-05-2012 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am new to music and I have a few questions.

I am just starting out at guitar, kinda messing around with a bodhrán and a tin whistle too! I've just watched some YouTube videos and mimicked what I've watched! I get a good sound more often than not, so there is some musical ability in me. As I'm just starting out I think I should probably try to learn music theory now as well? It would be great to be able read sheet music and know what it means."

My question now, is whether it's easier to learn music theory on a guitar or a keyboard/piano or both?

I don't have a keyboard but I could probably pick up a cheap one to help me get my head around the theory?

I would love to be able play the piano some day aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Music theory is the same no matter what instrument you play. Having said that, the lay out of the keyboard makes it easier to understand theory.

Reading music is not absolutely a must. It depends on what you want out of your instrument. Reading will definitely make you a better all round musician though. A good grasp of basic music theory is always going to be of benefit.

A few lessons from good teacher is great for getting you off to a good start. After that, you can decide to continue with the lessons or go it alone. The trouble with learning on the Internet is that it is too disjointed. You need lessons which are based on the information gleaned from the previous one.

While I have no experience with this book, it is always highly recommended on other forums.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Edlys-Music-Theory-Practical-People-Roseman-Ed-New-Item-/280861731647?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item4164a9eb3f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Rigsby wrote: »
    Music theory is the same no matter what instrument you play. Having said that, the lay out of the keyboard makes it easier to understand theory.

Reading music is not absolutely a must. It depends on what you want out of your instrument. Reading will definitely make you a better all round musician though. A good grasp of basic music theory is always going to be of benefit.

A few lessons from good teacher is great for getting you off to a good start. After that, you can decide to continue with the lessons or go it alone. The trouble with learning on the Internet is that it is too disjointed. You need lessons which are based on the information gleaned from the previous one.

While I have no experience with this book, it is always highly recommended on other forums.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Edlys-Music-Theory-Practical-People-Roseman-Ed-New-Item-/280861731647?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item4164a9eb3f

Thanks for that, I'd love to get lessons but financially I can't really manage it at the moment. I was just going to pick up as much as I can from free online sources. I'm on video 15 of "topdoginuk"'s, musical theory lessons. I understand most of it so far!

Once I have the foundation learned I might do a lesson then, just very expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Deedsie wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'd love to get lessons but financially I can't really manage it at the moment. I was just going to pick up as much as I can from free online sources. I'm on video 15 of "topdoginuk"'s, musical theory lessons. I understand most of it so far!

Once I have the foundation learned I might do a lesson then, just very expensive!

Yeah, there are great (and terrible) on line resources out there. You seem to be doing well with the one you picked. Another tip is not to move on to the next lesson until you have fairly well nailed and understood the current one. Otherwise you'll find yourself having to back track from time to time.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yeah, there are great (and terrible) on line resources out there. You seem to be doing well with the one you picked. Another tip is not to move on to the next lesson until you have fairly well nailed and understood the current one. Otherwise you'll find yourself having to back track from time to time.

Ya, hopefully I'll be able understand it anyway. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Another great way to grasp musical theory is to complete the RIAM Music Workout books. They are more exam focused, you can start at a preparatory grade and work up to grade 8 in the books, but they make musically theory a lot easier to learn in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway. :)

• Advertisement

I think i am going to buy a cheap second hand keyboard to try learn the theory! Is there much of a difference between playing keyboard/piano. I know the sound of a piano is much nicer, but just for learning how to read music is a miniature size keyboard the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think i am going to buy a cheap second hand keyboard to try learn the theory! Is there much of a difference between playing keyboard/piano. I know the sound of a piano is much nicer, but just for learning how to read music is a miniature size keyboard the same thing?

for reading music it's the same, keys are laid out the exact same way. good call going for a keyboard/piano to help with the theory, it's much easier to visualise with a piano.

read the theory, get comfortable with it on the piano, then try apply it to the guitar. while learning/practicing chords and songs and such. that's how i'd do it!

Parsley wrote: »
    for reading music it's the same, keys are laid out the exact same way. good call going for a keyboard/piano to help with the theory, it's much easier to visualise with a piano.

read the theory, get comfortable with it on the piano, then try apply it to the guitar. while learning/practicing chords and songs and such. that's how i'd do it!

Thanks for that, I bought a 61 key Casio keyboard. Kind of regretting it now. Should I have aimed for a 88 key keyboard? Or will 61 keys be ok for a complete beginner?

Advertisement