Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does 'Dig In' mean?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

I have a packet of White Clover seeds and it says on the back:

DIG IN
    2 to 3 months before flowering or after you have harvested your undersown crops.

I searched the net to no avail.

(I'm using clover as a green manure, heavy clay soil with weak patchy grass and moss. Hopefully I will attract some bees too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Are you talking about a lawn? I don't think it is used on lawns. Green manures are used on veg beds to add nitrogen (among other things) to the soil. You let the plants grow and then a while before you will want to plant into the soil, you chop the green manure plants down and dig them into the soil. In other words ... dig it in :) Have you go the wrong product for what you want to do maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

redser7 wrote: »
    Are you talking about a lawn? I don't think it is used on lawns. Green manures are used on veg beds to add nitrogen (among other things) to the soil. You let the plants grow and then a while before you will want to plant into the soil, you chop the green manure plants down and dig them into the soil. In other words ... dig it in :) Have you go the wrong product for what you want to do maybe?

Thanks for the reply.

My lawn was looking awful, the front lawn was 50% moss, the back lawn was tired with weak slow growing grass.

I used a lawn feed weed and moss killer. Then I did some dethatching (good workout for the shoulders), aeration (bad for the back) and top dressing of manure. I've thrown some white clover seeds on top. I'm hoping that the clover will improve the soil (nitrogen), break up the clay, look well and attract bees.

I know that many people find clover to be 'unwanted' in their lawn but I'm planting it to sort out my dense clay soil.

Ok well if you are going for a wild meadow look then that might work. Clover is very hard to get rid of once it's in though. I think it has very spreading roots. That general advise on the packet about digging it in only applies to veg growers who want to improve their beds. It would be a permenant feature of your lawn. Are you sure you want to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

redser7 wrote: »
    Ok well if you are going for a wild meadow look then that might work. Clover is very hard to get rid of once it's in though. I think it has very spreading roots. That general advise on the packet about digging it in only applies to veg growers who want to improve their beds. It would be a permenant feature of your lawn. Are you sure you want to do this?

It is done. It can't be any worse than it is now. :pac:

Also, I don't think it will look like a wild meadow as I've read that keeping the clover cut low will prevent the flowers, I'll just have a green lawn that requires less cutting. I want the flowers and some bees please. I don't think anyone fears/ hates bees more than my wife, so, 'There May be Trouble Ahead'. ;)

:) Fair play to you, sound of bees around the garden is nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement