Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCZ Agility 3 SSD Firmware upgrade , experienced?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

This SSD caved on me a number of months ago and due to lazyness and the lengthy warranty I only got around o mailing OCZ last week to setup a RMA.

The technical response was that before RMA I should try doing a firmware upgrade as my issue was known.

Basically every so often Id turn on the PC and the SSD wouldnt be recognised. Then one day it was completely gone , mobo just couldnt find it. Went through a long and lengthy reformatt and said Id RMA the thing.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this SDD and doing said upgrade.

The link they provided is http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?99275-NEW!-Bootable-Linux-based-tools-for-OCZ-SSD-s

Never done it before and a bit nervy. When my PC boots up every time it asks do so I wish to change to ACHI and I always say no. I have a spot of bother with another hard drive that tends to get bumped down in terms of boot prio nd I need to go into bios to change HD priority so Im weary of changes to hard drive stuff.

Im off Monday and plan to give this a shot. If I get her back working the plan is to grab a new mobo and grab another one. It was a really good upgrade on performance when it worked.

The reason for the new mobo is that I have DDR3 RAM and this SSD yet my mobo only supports DDR2 (yet runs the ram) and only has 3gb SATA where this SSD can do 6

Might make another thrad Monday for mobo advice because tbh Im lost lookni for one.

Thanks
    Doc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You should be running in ACHI,when you re-install the ssd install it using ACHI,give you more speed - http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=505&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=3

Looks pretty straight forward though,burn the ISO to a disk or Bootable USB and boot from them into the utility. Normally I'm a bit cagey about firmware updates aswell but seeing as its not currently working you've nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

performance aside, i'm pretty sure AHCI is a required rather than recommended setting for SSD's anyway and some of your problems *may* (although i'm no expert) well stem from not using it in the first place as i had similar problems initially with my first SSD.

look for AHCI specifically in your BIOS or possibly RAID mode which would automatically enable AHCI.

also bear in mind that switching from one to the other without formatting and reinstalling the OS may well break the OS in any case, so plan on doing the re-install from the outset and make sure you have anything important backed up before you start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You sure about the RAM and Mobo?, DDR2 and DDR3 are physically incompatible as the key notch is in a different position.

Done a few SSD firmware upgrades with various models never had any problems, even less risky when you will have to RMA anyway if doesn't work. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

marco_polo wrote: »
    You sure about the RAM and Mobo?, DDR2 and DDR3 are physically incompatible as the key notch is in a different position.

Done a few SSD firmware upgrades with various models never had any problems, even less risky when you will have to RMA anyway if doesn't work. :).

yeah its weird and confused a fair few of the lads. Thy came over to check I wasnt being a dope and its definitly DDR3 and appears as such through PC diagnostics.

Th board only mentions DDR2. I cant get specifics as im on cliet site at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I never went ACHI in the begininng because simply put it worked straight off the bat.

I plan to drop my OS onto the SSD so a reformat is inevitable. But will backup my current OS HD and will probably format it if all goes well.

I get a message after bios load everytime I boot asking do I want to go ACHI so I might do that before plugging in the SSD then check for it to work

If not will then go through the firmware thing

Will updateyou all Monday with how I get on , this sort of stuff is never straight forwad for me haha

Advertisement