Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways in increase iron in the diet

Options
  • 03-05-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a long term vegetarian and recently found out I have a very low level of iron, quite surprised cause I feel great.

So I need some inspiration on iron rich dishes that are easy and affordable to make. I do tend to eat a lot on the go which is probably part of the problem and will admit my knowledge of veggie cooking is practically nil

If anyone knows of any good websites or particular foods I should focus on I would really appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Iron rich foods include dried fruits, (weight for weight dried apricots contain
    four times more iron than lamb does), nuts (especially brazils), whole grains, dried peas,
    beans and lentils,leafy green vegetables, molasses and egg yokes. Vitamin c boosts absorption also.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Iron rich foods include dried fruits, (weight for weight dried apricots contain
    four times more iron than lamb does)

careful with this type of statement. its not heme iron. hell of a lot of sugar too

acidic foods boost apsorption but calcium inhibits it. which is very much one to watch if you are using dairy as your main protein source

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I should have mentioned that all right! However as iron absorption is dynamic, even at the apricots worst levels and the lambs best you would still be getting more. That said I'm not advocating eating a load of apricots every day :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Soy/tofu is good too I think. Some people avoid it because it contains anti-nutrients in its unfermented state (most soy food is unfermented except tempeh, hatcho miso and soy sauce).

The vitamin c thing is important. The increase in absorption is very significant I think. Best to consume vitamin c at the same time as vegetable sources of iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 joezie

Yup, lemon juice to your spinach or even lentils not only makes the iron more absorbable, but also adds flavour!

• Advertisement
Advertisement