Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business books that inspire/educate you

Options
  • 03-05-2012 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Just finished reading "the Snowball" by Alice Shroeder about Warren Buffett and there is some great inspiration as well as some good business lessons/advice there too.
    Any recommendations out there for the retailer or business student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

buck65 wrote: »
    Just finished reading "the Snowball" by Alice Shroeder about Warren Buffett and there is some great inspiration as well as some good business lessons/advice there too.
    Any recommendations out there for the retailer or business student?

What areas of business did it talk about and how would you rate each area out of ten i.e 5/10 etc.

Reason I ask is Id be interested in buying a copy if your reviews were good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Read it a few years ago, can't remember the majority of it, but do remember it being a fantastic and inspiring read. Might pull it out again next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Hunter21 wrote: »
    What areas of business did it talk about and how would you rate each area out of ten i.e 5/10 etc.

Reason I ask is Id be interested in buying a copy if your reviews were good.

I suppose it dealt mainly with Buffett's investing styles and strategies as they developed over the years. His early emphasis on the "cigarette butt" type company where the business was often doing poorly but had lots of reserves and assets right up to the odd megalomaniacal investment where Buffett really messed up.
    Also looked at some of the companies he was involved with, such as Coca Cola, AIG, a furniture store in Omaha (I think) where the owner was nearly 100 years old but still worked the floor ervery day scolding her sons and grandsons about the way they did business!

Advertisement