Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help! What happens if you miss an exam?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 12:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys and Gals, a friend of mine has just missed one of her exams in the RDS! She mixed up the time table(stuid i know, her own fault i know!) but it has heppened and she is in a state over it! What happens now? who does she go to? Will she fail? or have to do a resit?
    Please help , becausei dont have a clue and dont know what to say so i said we should ask the nice boardies for advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Get her to RING her student advisor NOW

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Get her to RING her student advisor NOW

Ok thanks! Where do you get the number for you student advisor? Is that the student help desk or a Union rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Contact module coordinator and student advisor now so its on the record that she made some effort to do so.

Unfortunately, the new extenuating circumstances policy is quite strict so it will be considered a no-show and hence an NG grade will be awarded. Unfortunate but you wouldnt believe how frequently this happens and it is quite impossible to distinguish the honest from the dishonest so the schools have to hang tough on the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/advisers/index.html

List of student advisors & phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

if you contact your lecturer straight away some of them can be really nice about it! one of my friends missed one on tuesday and she got to repeat it in the lecturers office this morning so it can never hurt to try ! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all yer advice! That has halped alot! i have a feeling this lecturer wont be that easy to convince seen as its <name removed>! Those of you who have had <snip> will know what i mean!
    Are you required to repeat the whole module or just the exam in this case?

Locker10a wrote: »
    Thanks for all yer advice! That has halped alot! i have a feeling this lecturer wont be that easy to convince seen as its <name removed>! Those of you who have had <snip> will know what i mean!

Just the exit exam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Depends on your faculty.

Most Law Students would have to.

She spoke to the student adviser who said to contact the Module coordinator , she did but hasn't heard anything back from him! So its just a matter of waiting for him to reply as to whats next! But if he has not gotten back by tomorrow what next?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

My friend had an exam today in which she said the announcer said "THIS IS A TWO HOUR EXAM, EXCEPT FOR ONE PERSON, YOUR EXAM IS 1 HOUR" and everyone wet themselves laughing. Was this you OP?! :pac:

• Advertisement

justified wrote: »
    My friend had an exam today in which she said the announcer said "THIS IS A TWO HOUR EXAM, EXCEPT FOR ONE PERSON, YOUR EXAM IS 1 HOUR" and everyone wet themselves laughing. Was this you OP?! :pac:

No it wasnt me! haha my friends still hasnt heard anything back from the module coordinator ! :( Dont know what to do next! I have a feeling he has gone on Holidays and is not in contact :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

No it wasnt me! haha my friends still hasnt heard anything back from the module coordinator ! :( Dont know what to do next! I have a feeling he has gone on Holidays and is not in contact :confused:

Has she gone into his office? If I was in that situation and hadn't heard back from an email I'd be camped outside it.

What school does the module belong to? Every module coordinator is different but I imagine there are a number who just wouldnt respond to that email.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

i have a feeling this lecturer wont be that easy to convince seen as its <name removed>!
    Oh god you're doomed. Was it intro to international relations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

To be honest, it's your friends responsibility to attend the exam. It's like handing up and assignment, it's your responsibility to hand it in on time. If you don't hand it in on time you'll loose marks. Of course, missing an exam is a lot more serious than not handing in an assignment. The timetables for the exams were provided over a month ago, so your friend had enough time to find out when and where their exams were on.

Depending on what percentage of the module was continuous assessment, your friend has probably failed the module, and will almost definitely be getting an NG on their exam. Your friend will have to resit/repeat the module, it seems. I don't see how a lecturer would accommodate your friend to sit the exam in this exam session, I've never heard of anything like that happening before - I could be wrong though.

Advertisement