Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PWBoards top 100 wrestlers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was going to put MotorCity Machine Guns, Hardy Boyz and Beer Money on my list even though I know Jeff Hardy, Robert Roode and James Storm have done very well, is this not allowed?

No ... it's limited to individual wrestlers (with the one exception being the Road Warriors). As you said Jeff Hardy, Roode, and Storm have all done pretty well on their own.

That's a pretty silly decision.

Pretty much nobody would list Jannetty by himself, but the Rockers might make it.

Same with Billy Gunn and Road Dogg, by themselves they were meh, but as the NAO they were very good.

I can see what you're saying. But one problem arises of one wrestler getting muliple votes, you could include HBK as himself, then have him included as part of DX with Triple H, and as a part of The Rockers with Marty Jannety.

So Shawn Michaels could potentially be the 3rd best wrestler, the 15th best wrestler, and the 44th best wrestler. It slightly negates the premise of a top wrestler when the same person is in it multiple times.

Also, by limiting the choices to single wrestlers I'd hope that you'd take into account the entirety of their careers, and not just that period when they were part of a great tag team.

Of course, your choices are down to personal preference as well, if you think that their part in a great tag team is enough to warrant inclusion, then by all accounts give that wrestler one of your votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

No ... it's limited to individual wrestlers (with the one exception being the Road Warriors). As you said Jeff Hardy, Roode, and Storm have all done pretty well on their own.

I have no problem changing my vote to Ken Anderson as No.20 and everyone else moves up 1 place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

1. scsa
    2. kurt angle
    3. bret hart
    4. the rock
    5. chris jericho
    6. chris benoit
    7. eddie guerrero
    8. aj styles
    9. bryan danielson
    10. cm punk
    11. macho man
    12. hulk hogan
    13. razor ramon
    14. john cena
    15. edge
    16. christian
    17. austin aries
    18. owen hart
    19. the undertaker
    20. jake roberts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It's interesting to note that someone I expected to be very high in each persons list, the undertaker, isn't that high. I know I gave him a very low number, but the others just came before him.
    Will be really interesting to see where he comes with the final tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

if this goes well I was wondering if you all would be up for doing like a top 50 moments in wrestling history?

Eg: everyone gives a list of their top 10 favourite moments (these can be like a specific match, spot in a match, single promo, etc)
    What you think?

if this goes well I was wondering if you all would be up for doing like a top 50 moments in wrestling history?

Eg: everyone gives a list of their top 10 favourite moments (these can be like a specific match, spot in a match, single promo, etc)
    What you think?

Sounds very doable. But i would count anything except full matches tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dazzmondo

1. Shawn Michaels
    2. Chris Benoit
    3. Kurt Angle (the top 3 are interchangeable, they were all fantastic)
    4. Ric Flair
    5. Chris Jericho
    6. Macho Man Randy Savage
    7. Mr Perfect Curt Hennig
    8. Bret Hart
    9. Sting
    10. The Dynamite Kid
    11. Triple H
    12. CM Punk
    13. Edge
    14. Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson
    15. AJ Styles
    16. Austin Aries
    17. Undertaker
    18. Jeff Hardy
    19. Owen Hart
    20. Eddie Guerrero

If you want some more names here are some in order

21. Rickie the Dragon Steamboat
    22. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    23. Christian
    24. Shelton Benjamin
    25. Dolph Ziggler

26. Samoa Joe
    27. RVD
    28. Sheamus
    29. Brock Lesnar
    30. JBL

Sorry but I need to edit my list as I forgot about Shelton Benjamin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

My list is based purely on wrestlers I have enjoyed watching and who entertained me through out the years, so their will be a very random few on it, like Stone Cold won't be on it as I have never enjoyed watching him, so be prepared :D.

1 - Cody Rhodes, followed his career from the moment he was called in to defend his daddy against Randy Orton and saw massive potential in him from them, thankfully he hasn't disappointed, the only wrestler I would sit up and pay attention to as soon as they came on the screen.

2 - Jeff Hardy, for a long time would have been number 1 (Till Cody came along) but annoyed me a lot with the switching to Tna and back and various other things, but as a kid was my favourite :D.

3 - Brock Lesnar, was just a beast such an entertaining man in his first run with Paul Heyman by his side, he actually scared me such was his beastness.

4 - Dusty Rhodes, the first wrestler (and mainly only) wrestler I have went back to watch his matches and read up his feuds, a lot of men can put Dusty down as their best feud which I think is such the credit to the man. Absoloutly amazing promos as well. Just a natural entertainer.

5 - JBL (As JBL was never much a fan of Bradshaw and Farooq really)
    6 - Shawn Micheals
    7 - Chris Jericho
    8 - The Rock
    9 - The Miz
    10 - Shelton Benjamin
    11 - Batista
    12 - Scott Hall
    13 - Randy Orton
    14 - Carlito
    15 - Matt Hardy
    16 - Jack Swagger
    17 - Billy Gunn
    18 - Orlando Jordan
    19 - John Cena
    20 - Brian Kendrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Why does everyone have a boner for Daniel Bryan?

Because he is a pretty good wrestler? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nah its AJ Lee who we have boners for around these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Another rule should be - No criticising of other people's lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Charisteas wrote: »
    Another rule should be - No criticising of other people's lists.

Ya def. Mine is ripe for criticism but they aren't on it cos they're the best wrestlers, they're on it because for whatever reason I just loved watching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Ya def. Mine is ripe for criticism but they aren't on it cos they're the best wrestlers, they're on it because for whatever reason I just loved watching them.

Yours is ripe for criticism? Mine has Spanky and Orlando Jordan on it.... I reckon you are safe :D

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Yours is ripe for criticism? Mine has Spanky and Orlando Jordan on it.... I reckon you are safe :D

Well in fairness, the more variations the better. It'll give more names on the list.

I wasnt able to reedit my list so here is it again with added reasons.
    (Dont worry Cactus, its still the same list.)

Purely a personal list based on 3 factors: The excitement i feel/have felt for a wrestler in every aspect of the role. The affect they have had on my assumption of what wrestling is. How nice they have been if i ever met them in person. :P
    1. Stone Cold - Never a dull moment when that glass smashes.
    2. Rock - The most electrifying man in aaallll of entertainment and a man so great I spent hours as a kid trying to replicate the eyebrows.
    3. RVD - A essential staple in my beloved ECW.
    4. Foley - His feats of insane bodily punishment brought what I loved about ECW to what I seen in the WWF.
    5. Shawn Michaels - Mr Wrestlemania is easily the best consistant performer the wwe for a long time.
    6. Cena - The wwe would be quite a boring place without him as the face, love him or hate him, he has impressed me greatly in the last few years.
    7. Jericho - Keeps reinventing himself and has a great business mind. Probably the last real 'well traveled' performer in the big E today.
    8. HHH - I constantly jumped between hating him and loving him when i was younger. Hating him when he subjected foley to inhumain punishment in 2000 and loving the Power trip with Austin.
    9. Dolph Ziggler - The next big thing. Hopefully. Many a great match and moreso when he's lost.
    10. Edge - Rivals HBK in terms of long term consistant great matches imo.
    11. The Miz - Bit of a cinderella story and then in reverse. He can only go up from here, right? Either way a good source of entertainment in this day and age.
    12. CM Punk - Maybe he should be higher up, but as soon as he got any steam it was taken away from him. With the wrestlers above him, this is as high as i could place him.
    13. Kane - Genuinely scary when i was younger, I feel somewhat endeared to him in my older age, even though he has done very little to warrant the same to someone who hasnt as soft a heart as me.
    14. Jeff Hardy - Who hasn't tried a swanton bomb on a trampoline because of this man?
    15. Bryan Danielson - Has adapted his own style and forged it with the wwe's own forced style over the last year.
    16. John Morrison - Used to love watching him spin and flip. He is somewhere between ziggler and jeff.
    17. Kurt Angle - Hit every level of entertainment needed as a wrestler, serious, funny, aggressive and has impecable wrestling skills, obviously.
    18. JBL - Incredibly entertaining from the moment he lost the goatee and cashed in on the stock market.
    19. Undertaker - Should be higher but i have only really found him entertaining the last few years.
    20. AJ Styles - One of the only reasons i watch TNA anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What you think?

Could we also maybe do a list of top 30 tag teams

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Could we also maybe do a list of top 30 tag teams

And best matches....:D

We could keep this running for months :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Is it too late to make a single change to my list, friend of mine pointed out one of my all time and current favs that I'm missing from my list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

And best matches....:D

We could keep this running for months :pac:

Top 20 Tag Teams, Matches, PPV's, Rivalries or Moves. There is plenty to keep us goin for feckin ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

1. HBK
    2. Randy Orton
    3. Daniel Bryan
    4. Kurt ANgle
    5. Stone Cold
    6. The Rock
    7. The Undertaker
    8. Edge
    9. CM Punk
    10. HHH
    11. Chris Jericho
    12. RVD
    13. Brock Lesnar
    14. Jeff Hardy
    15. Christian
    16. Mick Foley
    17. Floyd Mayweather - if its allowed, I'm running out of ideas
    18. Shelton Benjamin
    19. The Miz
    20. Rey Mysterio

I had reasons typed for each but I wasn't let post them and I'm not typing it out all again.

My top 20 favourite wrestlers

1) Mick Foley
    2) Randy Savage
    3) Bret Hart
    4) Scott Hall
    5) Steve Austin
    6) Shawn Michaels
    7) The Rock
    8) Hulk Hogan
    9) Sting
    10) Ric Flair
    11) Chris Jericho
    12) Terry Funk
    13) Ultimate Warrior
    14) Goldberg
    15) CM Punk
    16) Kurt Angle
    17) Al Snow
    18) John Cena
    19) Raven
    20) The Sandman

I'm not criticising.. but
    17. Floyd Mayweather - if its allowed, I'm running out of ideas

tumblr_m0uqblsJKd1qltb20o1_500.gif

My list is more the top 20 WWE wrestlers of the last 10 years (I don't watch any other promotion) and even at that I would only be judging on quality of matches in the last 5 years and who I can remember that entertained me the most. Foleys on my list based on the fact that he got thrown off a cell and Benjamin because he always had one big spot in a MITB match so Mayweather is in for not much less, basically because I liked the way he made himself look so weak against Big Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

My list is more the top 20 WWE wrestlers of the last 10 years (I don't watch any other promotion) and even at that I would only be judging on quality of matches in the last 5 years and who I can remember that entertained me the most. Foleys on my list based on the fact that he got thrown off a cell and Benjamin because he always had one big spot in a MITB match so Mayweather is in for not much less, basically because I liked the way he made himself look so weak against Big Show.

Not to criticize but shouldn't the other three actual wrestlers on the list be before him?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In fairness to Mayweather, he was arguably the best celebrity to have a match ever.

His performance was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

1.The Rock -has it all
    2.Stone Cold -Crowd never reacted before or since to a wrestler like SC
    3.Shawn Michaels -Mr Wrestlemania
    4.Mr Perfect-should have been the biggest star in wrestling and i still get rid of chewing gum ala MR P
    5.Kurt Angle -Best Heel of all time
    6.Honky Tonk Man -second best heel ever
    7.Mick Foley -A bump merchant but what amazing bumps
    8.Undertaker -probably should be higher on this list
    9. Macho Man Randy Savage -Oh yeah
    10. Hulk Hogan -brings out the kid in me
    11.Rik Flair -Wooo
    12.Bobby the Brain Heenan -got more heat with that smile of his than the locker room (except Vickie) can get today
    13.Edge -more for his tag team stuff and that match against foley at wrestlemania
    14.Lita -Made women wrestling cool
    15.Y2J Chris Jericho -Don't like the different incarnations since but back when midcarding with Angle and Benoit ,I adored this guy.That Benoit in a boat on a goat slide show is in my top 3 promos of all time and the original debut entrance is the best of all time.
    16.HHH -Back when feuding with the Rock and Foley in an around 2000 he was the greatest heel ever.Does not do it as a face for me.
    17. Andre the Giant -no more rhymes now I mean it -Anybody want a peanut
    18.Jake the snake Roberts-Always thought the DDT was a brilliant finisher and I genuinely was scared of Damien as a kid
    19.Jeff hardy-Again more for when he was in tag scene but they raised the bar on wrestling and it was their table matches with the Dudley's that got me back into wrestling
    20. Road Dog Jesse James -Whoa you didn't know, your ass better call somebody

On a side note I can not wait for the tag team version
    What was arguably a better division than the Heavyweight division in its prime reduced to nothing now is such a shame

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not to criticize but shouldn't the other three actual wrestlers on the list be before him?:D

To be honest I would also pick Floyd Mayweather ahead of The Miz!

Afraid I can't include Floyd Mayweather .... as good as he was in his role he's not a wrestler.

• Advertisement

Afraid I can't include Floyd Mayweather .... as good as he was in his role he's not a wrestler.
    I'll replace him with Gail Kim so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Hulk Hogan
    Undertaker
    Ric Flair
    HBK
    Macho Man
    Ultimate Warrior
    Vader
    Misawa
    Stone Cold
    Mick Foley
    Kurt Angle
    Jeff Jarret
    Kevin Nash
    Scot Steiner
    Sting
    Big Show
    Kane
    Goldberg
    Rock
    Vince McMahon

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

I don't see why the Road Warriors should be an exception, i could place Animal at the top of my list if i wanted simply because i enjoyed his time as a singles competitor on Smackdown. Make a separate list for tag teams if you want but you shouldn't include any tag team on a list of singles competitors.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaiBE6YgJHhAs1RFmunkJA78e6rLiGfj0KlHW2qL1M96jb9nQh

Cant believe I left Vader out of my top 20.

I cant edit the post now because it was a few days ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't see why the Road Warriors should be an exception, i could place Animal at the top of my list if i wanted simply because i enjoyed his time as a singles competitor on Smackdown. Make a separate list for tag teams if you want but you shouldn't include any tag team on a list of singles competitors.

All two or three weeks of it? He was back in a tag team fairly quickly. Plus, nobody is going to pick one or the other. They are a package deal IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1. Christian
    2. Chris Jericho
    3. The Rock
    4. Chris Benoit
    5. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    6. Edge
    7. HBK
    8. AJ Styles
    9. Kurt Angle
    10. Eddie Guerrero
    11. John Cena
    12. Bret Hart
    13. Jeff Hardy
    14. Daniel Bryan
    15. CM Punk
    16. HHH
    17. Robert Roode
    18. Dolph Ziggler
    19. Lita
    20. Alex Shelley

Are you allowing the inclusion of Vince and Shane? Both are in my list (which I haven't posted yet) but would be willing to change if need be.

Also eagerly awaiting Jaykhunter's, rossie1977,'s and rovert's lists.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Are you allowing the inclusion of Vince and Shane? Both are in my list (which I haven't posted yet) but would be willing to change if need be.

Also eagerly awaiting Jaykhunter's, rossie1977,'s and rovert's lists.

I'm allowing them. While a lot of their work was done behind the curtain, I think they had significant enough runs as wrestlers or in ring to justify their places.

Shane was one chap who wasn't afraid to put his body on the line when it came to wrestling that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

1.Shawn Michaels
    2.Steve Austin
    3.Bret Hart
    4.Ric Flair
    5.Kurt Angle
    6.Eddie Guerrero
    7.Randy Savage
    8.Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan
    9.Roddy Piper
    10.Rock
    11.Chris Benoit
    12.Ricky Steamboat
    13.The Road Warriors
    14.Andre The Giant
    15.Chris Jericho
    16.Jake Roberts
    17.Owen Hart
    18.Sting
    19.Brian Pillman
    20.Sabu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

1-Shawn Michaels
    2- Kurt Angle
    3-Vader
    4-The Rock
    5-Stone Cold
    6-Macho Man
    7-Ric Flair
    8-Undertaker
    9-Chris Benoit
    10-Hulk Hogan
    11-HHH
    12-Ricky Steamboat
    13-Eddie Guererro
    14-Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase
    15-Ravishing Rick rude
    16-Sting
    17-Mick Foley
    18-Brock Lesnar
    19-John Cena
    20-Ultimate Warrior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

1. Undertaker - when I think of great moments, great storylines and great matches, Undertaker is involved more often than any other wrestler. So many amazing moments.

2. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Revolutionised the boring face/heel style that had been around forever, amazing in every aspect!

3. Bret Hart - Perfectionist in the ring, love watching his matches.

4. The Rock - Best ever on the mic, and always dramatic in the ring.

5. Mick Foley - Love so many of his matches!!

6. Kurt Angle
    7. Kane
    8. Triple H
    9. Hulk Hogan
    10. Andre The Giant
    11. Shawn Michaels
    12. Brock Lesnar
    13. Edge
    14. CM Punk
    15. Macho Man Randy Savage
    16. Vince McMahon - Played a very important role as a foil for other wrestlers to shine, both inside and outside the ring.
    17. Mr. Perfect
    18. Sheamus
    19. Owen Hart
    20. Jeff Hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    All two or three weeks of it? He was back in a tag team fairly quickly. Plus, nobody is going to pick one or the other. They are a package deal IMO.

Twas 3 months actually. I just don't see why a tag team should be included on a list of singles wrestlers regardless of how long they spent together.

Twas 3 months actually. I just don't see why a tag team should be included on a list of singles wrestlers regardless of how long they spent together.

oh well.

You mightn't agree, and that's grand. But because of the impact the pair had on wrestling in general, and their success and longevity as a unit I decided that they would be the only tag team I'd allow to count as a single entity.

Maybe that's a mistake on my account, but that's the way it is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

is this the best wrestler (entertainer) or best worker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I think the Road Warriors deserve to be on the list for sure, hence why i picked them. Personally i cant see why tag teams would be ineligable, considering they didnt go on to bigger things, like The Hart Foundation, Rockers, Edge/Christian etc etc etc, if they had a career of the calibre of LOD, they deserve to be included.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    is this the best wrestler (entertainer) or best worker

I think its just your own preferred list. I based mine off entertainment and then workrate.

1. Bret Hart
    2. Chris Benoit
    3. Curt Hennig
    4. Shawn Michaels
    5. Owen Hart
    6. Brian Pillman
    7. Dynamite Kid
    8. AJ Styles
    9. Cactus Jack
    10. Roddy Piper
    11. Vader
    12. Kurt Angle
    13. Bryan Danielson
    14. Ric Flair
    15. Eddie Guerrero
    16. Triple H
    17. Austin Aries
    18. Road Warriors
    19. Jeff Jarrett
    20. Ciano316 Dean Malenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

1. Bret Hart
    2. Chris Benoit
    3. Curt Hennig
    4. Shawn Michaels
    5. Owen Hart
    6. Brian Pillman
    7. Dynamite Kid
    8. AJ Styles
    9. Cactus Jack
    10. Roddy Piper
    11. Vader
    12. Kurt Angle
    13. Bryan Danielson
    14. Ric Flair
    15. Eddie Guerrero
    16. Triple H
    17. Austin Aries
    18. Road Warriors
    19. Jeff Jarrett
    20. Ciano316 Dean Malenko

no undertaker :eek:

ricero wrote: »

Nope. Not my kind of wrestler. The majority of my list are known for their in ring ability as apposed to their characters or their promos etc.

Undertaker would have maybe made a top 30 for me but not a top 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ricero wrote: »

Nope. Not my kind of wrestler. The majority of my list are known for their in ring ability as apposed to their characters or their promos etc.

Undertaker would have maybe made a top 30 for me but not a top 20.
    I always thought he was a great in ring worker for such a big man. I think he's one of the top 5 best all round wrestlers ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement