Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which .22LR/wmr/hmr semi

Options
  • 03-05-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

basically i'm planning to get rid of my hornet soon as i have a .223 now and there isn't much point in having two calibers that are so similar.

the ammo cost is not really a factor between the three rimfire cartridges as i'll be replacing the hornet they will all seem like cheap shooting :rolleyes:

i'm not sure if you can even get the hmr or wmr in a semi auto rifle but if you can sure the extra bit of stopping power never hurts

what i want to get is a rimfire semi auto for close range (sub 150 yards) bunny bashing and plinking. i know the 10/22 is the most common but i have heard that they are not very accurate until you rebarrel and all that fun stuff.

the emphasis will be on weight saving so i will replace the stock for something lightweight and possibly shorten the barrel. fit a low powered scope or a red dot type sight as it will only ever be shot off hand.

and before anyone suggests it i already have a shotgun

any advice or info is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

cushcam wrote: »
    basically i'm planning to get rid of my hornet soon as i have a .223 now and there isn't much point in having two calibers that are so similar.

the ammo cost is not really a factor between the three rimfire cartridges as i'll be replacing the hornet they will all seem like cheap shooting :rolleyes:

i'm not sure if you can even get the hmr or wmr in a semi auto rifle but if you can sure the extra bit of stopping power never hurts

what i want to get is a rimfire semi auto for close range (sub 150 yards) bunny bashing and plinking. i know the 10/22 is the most common but i have heard that they are not very accurate until you rebarrel and all that fun stuff.

the emphasis will be on weight saving so i will replace the stock for something lightweight and possibly shorten the barrel. fit a low powered scope or a red dot type sight as it will only ever be shot off hand.
    and before anyone suggests it i already have a shotgun
    any advice or info is welcome

You can get .22WMR in semi auto, east coast dog and gun have a remmington 597( think that's the model anyway). But heard mixed reports of the dealer on here.
    As for accuracy you won't get a semi auto as accurate as a bolt action.
    If you want something cheap to shoot and good enough stopping power go with the ruger 10/22
    Hope this helps lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

no semi-auto is going to be anywhere near as accurate and reliable as a bolt action. I know lads who have spent big money on 10/22's to get them shooting decent groups. Each to their own and all that :p

If you want to be shooting out to 150 yards get a bolt action .17hmr you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

17 hmr semis no longer produced i believe. There was some problems that caused hand injuries!

597 while very accurate also had feed problems.
    you could look at CZ 512?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

You should consider a lever action 22wmr or 17hmr, great fun and can be very fast follow up shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Chiparus wrote: »
    17 hmr semis no longer produced i believe. There was some problems that caused hand injuries!

597 while very accurate also had feed problems.
    you could look at CZ 512?

Never knew!!

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1927&cid=4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

Hunter21 wrote: »
    You should consider a lever action 22wmr or 17hmr, great fun and can be very fast follow up shots.

i've no interest in lever actions, i've tried one there recently and just didn't like it, and to be honest i think i'd be as quick cycling a bolt

thanks for the comment though

Advertisement