Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partial mash wheat beer recipe

Options
  • 03-05-2012 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I am looking to do my 2nd partial mash. I would like to clone a wheat beer like Erdinger....I have no boiler, I'm using a 30lt ham pot at present.

Any wheat recipes would be welcome?

I like the flavours of Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast or I may try WLP300 (for the first time)?

My first pils partial mash (Craftsman Extract German Pils) turned out well after 3months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

There is a recipe here form homebrewtalk, imperial units. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/partial-mash-hefe-142979/#post1627689 . Are you mashing grains or are you doing extract with steeping grains? I would try the WLP300 yeast if I was making a wheat. Some have recommended fermenting at 17C for better resuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

mayto wrote: »
    There is a recipe here form homebrewtalk, imperial units. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/partial-mash-hefe-142979/#post1627689 . Are you mashing grains or are you doing extract with steeping grains? I would try the WLP300 yeast if I was making a wheat. Some have recommended fermenting at 17C for better resuts.

Cheers for the advice. I would be planning to just steep the grains for about 60mins at around 65oc.

For an extract wheat beer you really do not need to steep any grains. Just use 3kg of wheat spraymalt, some hallertau for bittering and the yeast.
    I made up a recipe below for 21L using 3kg of wheat dme. You can reduce the alcohol by using a few more litre of water or use less dme.
    General
    Category: German Wheat and Rye Beer
    Subcategory: Weizen/Weissbier
    Recipe Type: Extract
    Batch Size: 21 L
    Volume Boiled: 22.71 L
    Mash Efficiency: 72 %
    Total Grain/Extract: 3.00 kg
    Total Hops: 23.0 g
    Ingredients
    3 kg Dry Wheat Extract
    23 g Hallertau (Whole, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
    Yeast: White Labs WLP300 Hefewizen Ale

Notes

Vital Statistics
    Original Gravity: 1.052
    Terminal Gravity: 1.013
    Color: 9.54 SRM
    Bitterness: 14.3 IBU
    Alcohol (%volume): 5.2 %

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I like the flavours of Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast or I may try WLP300 (for the first time)?.

Highly recommend WLP300 :)

For an extract wheat beer you really do not need to steep any grains. Just use 3kg of spraymalt, some hallertau for bittering and the yeast.
    I made up a recipe below for 21L using 3kg of wheat dme. You can reduce the alcohol by using a few more litre of water or use less dme.
    General
    Ingredients
    3 kg Dry Wheat Extract

Notes

Vital Statistics

I will give it a go next week. Lets hope it be ready for the Euro's as wheat beer is usually drinkable after 2-3 post bottling.

• Advertisement

For an extract wheat beer you really do not need to steep any grains. Just use 3kg of wheat spraymalt, some hallertau for bittering and the yeast.
    General
    Ingredients
    3 kg Dry Wheat Extract

Notes

Vital Statistics

Just before I buy the ingredients; I just have a sugar query. Would the use of Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (3kg) over 3kg of wheat spraymalt produce a better beer? Prices are similar.

Would 1.5kg can Wheat Liquid Malt Extract & 1.5kg light Liquid Malt Extract work either to produce a clearer Weissbier?

Wheat dry malt extract and liquid wheat extract are both a 50/50 mix of barley and wheat. The liquid malt extract is generally 20% water, so you need 3.6 kg of liquid malt extract for the same gravity of 3kg dry wheat dme. The choice is yours whether dry or liquid malt extract, I always used dried malt extract. Doubt there would be much difference between liquid and dried malt extract, though dried stuff stores better.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Be very careful with this yeast, if you ferment above 20C the ethanols (banana and bubblegum) will be way way way too strong, I learned the hard way!

I got brewing this the other day. After the first 30hrs there was no visible activity so I gave it an extra stir last night. I checked it this morning to see a Krausen volcano coming out of the airlock. :eek:

Luckily I had a spare airlock so I put this on and I placed some kitchen roll around the base of the airlock. I'm not used to such aggressive yeast activity as there was 9lt headspace in the fermenter.

Should I remove the airlock periodically to release CO2? Should I remove some of the krausen? Is this the initial peak for the yeast and it will die down now? I'm guessing further stirring is not recommended?

Krausen on toast? It looks tasty and nutritious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement