Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helping with JOOMLA website.

Options
  • 03-05-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

hi,

hope i have put this in the right place.

i paid for a ecommerce website to be built about 2-3 years ago. the idea never got off the ground but i still own the site and functions etc. i dont want to go back to the company i used at the time preferably do it myself. any good tips or somebody who would helop for a small fee or good advice or books.

sorry to be so vague.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I,ll help for free if i can in any way i can sign a non disclosure if u want as well.. What exactly are u looking to do ??
    Develop the site, develop the idea ?
    Marketing your site online ?

If its private you can pm me !!
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I can help with any general questions too..

The latest version of Joomla is 2.5 with new admin and security features

If what you have is 2-3years old, you may be running 1.5.23 or 1.5.25 and you will need to update it. Some old themes are not compatible with the new version of Joomla and you may need to start from scratch. Same with any plugins/components/modules you may have installed or were advised to use.

If you want we can get you a fair price to get it up and running

In my opinion, If its an ecommerce site you want, then you should be looking at Magneto instead of Zen, Cube or Virtuemart, running an application on top of another application can get messy and you are dealing with 2 frameworks.

I would recommend working straight away with Magento, nice system to use as well.

I am a Joomla & WordPress designer with over 20 custom designed Joomla & WordPress websites.

Send a PM if you prefer. Anything said will be treated in confidence of course

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

cheers for the reply folks really appreciate it.

i think i am running on the 1.5 version. so do use think if that is what i have from previous that the site is worthless to me. i thought because i owned the site and paid for the basics that i could update it and do some tweeking myself obviously i cant afford much at the moment and it is preparing myself for the summer when my stock will come in and just trying to get a head start.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

its not worthless, 1.5 will still work

it just won't be the latest version running and will be prone to malicious attacks, bots etc when you are using Open Source applications it is always wise to be running the latest versions including any security patches, 1.5 has been around for about 5 years

All the sites I run are 2.5 and it took a bit of work to bring them up to the latest version, all the themes/components/modules needed to be updated too

Setting up an ecommerce site is never easy and theres a lot of work involved to get it right, I reckon you may need to invest some money in hiring a designer or a web company to do it for you, theres no easy instruction manual im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

thats dissapointing thought i would be ok with my site. how much do you think it will cost roughly to get up to speed with where i need to be.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

ctbfashion - 1.5 is fine - but you should be 1.5.26 at the moment - that's important.
    in terms of upgrades to Ver 2.5 - make sure before you even think about that, that all your components plugins etc will run under that version.

I'm not sure what exactly your are looking to achieve, whats you want to do - but if you want me to perk inside and give you whats what - so that when you are looking to go ahead you know whats has to be done.

No charge- i'll take a quick peek and simply give you the heads up! Honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

We had to build a new eCommerce site earlier this year for one of our operations. We looked around at numerous packages and custom options. We use web designers etc for our other sites but it costs too much to design a really good fully featured shop site. We eventually settled on http://www.bluepark.co.uk/ecommerce-software.html and did all the work ourselves in house with only the most basic HTML skills. It is a really superb product, cheap and has really great statistical data reports for products and visitors/users

You are welcome to PM me if you want to find out more.

We are an industrial products B2B company and have no axe to grind.

Cheers

Peter

Advertisement