Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids climbing harness

Options
  • 03-05-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could get a Kids climbing harness in Kilkenny or Waterford? I would like to get one before the weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a Kids climbing harness in Kilkenny or Waterford? I would like to get one before the weekend.
    Unfortunately none of the outdoor retailers stock them in this region.
    Your best bet may be to contact an adventure center and see if they'd rent one.
    Unlikely they would I'm afraid due to the nature of the activity.
    I'm not sure if anyone stocks them in Dublin even.
    Best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

What age/height is the child? If over 6 years then your looking for a petzl Gym Harness http://www.gearexpress.biz/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/petzl_gym_harness.jpg

They can be bought in the great outdoors or I have one thats pretty spanking new for sale. PM if you would like to take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fatswaldo wrote: »
    Presuming (I know...) that the child will not be protecting a lead climber or in danger of hanging free for an extended period, there probably is no need for them to wear a harness. They can be tied on using the rope itself. Alternatively, a makeshift harness can easily be fashioned from a sling of the correct length - this is also adequate for abseiling, if this is your plan.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Using a sling can be painful if you're putting any weight on it ie. abseiling or a fall. In a emergency I'd use it but other than that a proper harness is much more comfortable- you don't want one bad experience to put a child of a life time of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gillo wrote: »
    Using a sling can be painful if you're putting any weight on it ie. abseiling or a fall. In a emergency I'd use it but other than that a proper harness is much more comfortable- you don't want one bad experience to put a child of a life time of fun.
    Painful in a fall (especially while seconding which would be the case here)? Painful while abseiling? What sort of sling were you using??? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's years since I used a sling, but the few times I did they tended to dig into the flesh. Maybe it's because I've very low body fat so less padding?

Advertisement