Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV warrenty out of date/

Options
  • 03-05-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I have a TV that's 5 years old. I have been onto the manufacturer and they told me the warranty lasts for 1 year then they said 3 years when I mentioned EU laws. I was under the impression it was for a reasonable amount of time, based on the purchase price it cost me €700 appox Can anyone tell me what the correct time limit on TV's is. I don't want to start spouting off if I'm wrong. Also I don't have the receipt but I do know when the telly was bought and where, this has been backed up by the manufacturer. I'm guessing I'm at the shops mercy to be supplied with this anyone any thought of how I should go about this

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Personally I would have thought 5 years was a reasonable time for a TV to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

so would I, but €700 put it around €140 a year for a 32 inch today you can get a 32 inch for 300-400 which would put it around €60-€80 a year, I'm probably clutching at straws but if ya don't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

the GALL wrote: »
    so would I, but €700 put it around €140 a year for a 32 inch today you can get a 32 inch for 300-400 which would put it around €60-€80 a year, I'm probably clutching at straws but if ya don't ask.

And next year you might get a 32" tv for 200-300 which would put it at €40-€60 per year... Silly point if you ask me...

At 5 years old, I'd say they'll tell you to pi$$ off fairly quickly.

Tell me to piss off and I'd knock em the f*ck out

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tell me to piss off and I'd knock em the f*ck out
    They will probably do it politely so you dont get done for assault....

The law here doesnt give an exact expiry date for goods to last afaik, but it does allow for what's a 'reasonable' lifespan. I go with the consensus so far that five years would be a reasonable amount of time to have got out of it. Have you had it looked at to see whats wrong and the cost of a repair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Your rights with the manufacturer are what the manufacturer states in his warranty.

Your consumer rights (repair, replace, refund) are only with the retailer. Here you have a maximum of 6 years, but it depends on the actual article.

So you need to get onto the actual retailer, where you bought the TV. €700 and 5 years is a little bit on the border and a judge could see it either way. I would try the retailer first and if he says he won't help you, go to the SCC, it's only €10, so not too much to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Five years sounds reasonable to me...you got your monies worth I'd have thought. Dount a judge would think anything other than your trying to take the piss :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mdebets wrote: »
    Your rights with the manufacturer are what the manufacturer states in his warranty.

Your consumer rights (repair, replace, refund) are only with the retailer. Here you have a maximum of 6 years, but it depends on the actual article.

So you need to get onto the actual retailer, where you bought the TV. €700 and 5 years is a little bit on the border and a judge could see it either way. I would try the retailer first and if he says he won't help you, go to the SCC, it's only €10, so not too much to loose.

Its gone up to €18.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The manufacturer might decide to pay up based on market value and offer €20 at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

5 years is pushing it for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

5 years for a piece of equipment that cost 700 quid.....?
    I would be expecting 7-8 years out of something of that expense.
    It would be interesting to know the statistics of other models of TV around the same vintage and their lifespan. This is probably the only way you would be able to compare the "Expected" lifespan of one of these devices.

Thanks for the reply's guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

My Samsung 40" was only 2 years 1 month and it broke earlier this year...
    (Bought December 2009 for around 700) Switching on and off all by itself.

Wish i had seen this thread - was onto DID and Samsung themselves - they refused saying warranty was 1 year only and I should have taken out extened warranty :(
    Mentioned USA and UK getting free repairs for an obviously similar problem.
    But was resolute - only 1 year waranty.

They wanted 60 euros just to take it in and look at it to give me a quote to fix it - And Id have to arrange transport.

Ended up taking it apart and replacing the known bad 2 bad capacitors myself (cost less than 3 euros to fix) - But put me off buying Samsung again.

“Roll it back”

How did you know which part yo replace?
    and was it easy to fix?

It's a common fault. They used under powered capacitors in the board so they blow. I've done it too. You just need a soldering iron, new higher capacitors and some patience. There's instructions on the web. I'm out and about now but I'll post the ones I used later. Very easy altogether.

I cant find the original instructions I used as it;s a while now but these ones below are good enough:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-fix-clicking-samsung-tv-wont-turn-on/?ALLSTEPS

Any questions post back.

Cheers Cookie

The telly is the same as this one
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2005/02/samsungacutes-slim-crt/
    I'll take it apart tomorrow and see if I can identify the capacitors if they look knackered I'll change them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpJ9mbAnwMx8eAuF92TOH6YNf6MY8KH4DRB848s_enhhKHTsaC

Those flux capacitors Marty

Cheers Cookie

The telly is the same as this one
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2005/02/samsungacutes-slim-crt/
    I'll take it apart tomorrow and see if I can identify the capacitors if they look knackered I'll change them

The capacitors that have blown will have a bulge on their top

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The capacitors that have blown will have a bulge on their top

Yes - even slightly bulging are the ones to remove and replace...

But in my case - the capacitors looked fine - no bulging or leakage (see photo).

But I read that in some cases they had used the Incorrect Components in making the TVs- too low a max voltage.

I replaced the only two 10V capacitors with two higher rated 16V capacitors (1000uF) and all the problems went away
    - tv doesnt random witch on or off like it used to with a bang and the HDMI ports work again.

Attached is photos of My TV - before the repair.

203847.jpg

The TV is great now - and Im much happier I did the repair myself than have to send off the TV for repair.
    My experience has been extremely poor with getting items repaired under waranty.

Worst warranty repair was Maplins - I bubble wrapped a small mini computer so it wouldnt get scratched - looked perfect but had some fault with overheating issues that made it crash every few minutes, was in "as new" looking condition though- it came back like they had stepped on it - case was bent, missing bits and filthy with with loose screws rattling about inside - and a sticker on it saying "no fault found".
    I refused to take the 'repaired' item as it was clearly worse condition than what was given to them. took talking to several people and three visits over three days to the shop - but eventually got a new one from them - which worked fine.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

mdebets wrote: »

I think thats the statute of limitations rather than a guide for how long something should last. I believe that can be contracted out of with say the supplier giving you a ten year guarantee.

had a look at the back of the telly and it look like water damage to one of the boards. How that happened I don't know, sure I guess I'll to buy a new one.......Damn!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I got Samsung to replace a 4 year old telly with a 1 year guarantee last year. Really is the luck of the draw, all down to who you get to talk to in customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

I have a TV that's 5 years old. I have been onto the manufacturer and they told me the warranty lasts for 1 year then they said 3 years when I mentioned EU laws. I was under the impression it was for a reasonable amount of time, based on the purchase price it cost me €700 appox Can anyone tell me what the correct time limit on TV's is. I don't want to start spouting off if I'm wrong. Also I don't have the receipt but I do know when the telly was bought and where, this has been backed up by the manufacturer. I'm guessing I'm at the shops mercy to be supplied with this anyone any thought of how I should go about this

Thanks
    look up the sale of good and supply of services act 1980.
    Alsoas far as i recall - could be wrong- a TV can be warranted 6 years under EU

athtrasna wrote: »
    I got Samsung to replace a 4 year old telly with a 1 year guarantee last year. Really is the luck of the draw, all down to who you get to talk to in customer care.
    It is not really. The one year guarantee is only an addition to your rights
    Enquire here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Departed wrote: »
    look up the sale of good and supply of services act 1980.
    Alsoas far as i recall - could be wrong- a TV can be warranted 6 years under EU
    The EU directive only directs each country to implement laws providing a minimum protection of 2 years. There is no upper limit specified.

Irish law actually has no specific upper limit. It relies on the rather vague "reasonable lifetime" which could easily exceed 2 years, depending on the product/service. The 6 years thing comes the Ireland's Statute of Limitations which states that from the date the defect occurred you have up to 6 years in which to make a claim for redress. It's an Irish rule, not an EU one.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The EU directive only directs each country to implement laws providing a minimum protection of 2 years. There is no upper limit specified.

Irish law actually has no specific upper limit. It relies on the rather vague "reasonable lifetime" which could easily exceed 2 years, depending on the product/service. The 6 years thing comes the Ireland's Statute of Limitations which states that from the date the defect occurred you have up to 6 years in which to make a claim for redress. It's an Irish rule, not an EU one.
    Originally Posted by Departed
    could be wrong-
    was;)

Advertisement