Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unwanted books

Options
  • 03-05-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Would any readers here have any idea on how I can get rid of approx 50 books. Charity shops wont take then, nor will some second book stores. Or if any of you would like to take them off my hands, that be great (contact me via pm)

I am not looking for payment for these books, I just need to free up some space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

If they're in decent condition and you can get into Dublin City Centre the Central Library in the ILAC Centre will take them from you.

What kind of books are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what's a rough idea of what books they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Apologies, I should have stated in my original post. The books are mainly crime fiction/espionage. The likes Michael Connolly, David baldacci.

They are all in good condition and mostly paperback.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Charity shops do take books though but perhaps not that many.
    If you divided them up into lots of 10 you could prob get rid of them in one day around the city if you visited a few different charity shops...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Why not sell them on ebay as a wholesale lot?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Charity shops getting very picky these days ...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

NIMAN wrote: »
    Charity shops getting very picky these days ...

I'd imagine it's more an issue of space really. Second books in second hand shops don't seem to move very well from what I've heard.

The library in the ILAC does take donations but you should ring them before you go in as chances are they already have loads of copies of those books. I gave them some old college books last year and was chatting to one of the girls when I brought them in and she said they regularly get people coming in with piles of stuff that they already have loads of and they have to turn them away because they have no room for them.

Have you contacted any nursing homes in your area? My mam gave a load of books to one near her house last year. They were really appreciative. Again though, I'd say give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not sure where you are but Blanchardstown library has shelves at the door where you can leave books for others to take. Any time I have done it they are gone fairly quickly so I think they would find a home there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

You can bring them to your local recycling centre. Most will have bookshelves where you can just leave the books there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Thanks for all your help folks, and replies in PM.
    I managed to get rid of all the books by donating them to a hospital, which was delighted to accept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

If your not looking for money for them, why don't you take them to your nearest secondary school and donate them to their school library? I've done that before.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see your last post. Good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 treacyjane

You can bring them to your local recycling centre.

Advertisement