Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling on medication?

Options
  • 03-05-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently been diagnosed with depression, having spent about 10 years at various counsellors. I'm female and late 30s and I've never really been 'happy'. Looking back over the past ten years, I have no idea why the diagnosis didn't come sooner - but perhaps it's because I avoided my GP and thought to myself 'this next counsellor will fix things'!

Anyhow, I'm 7wks on meds (prozac) now and it seems to be working. Life is fine at the moment and I have no 'black' moods or disturbing thoughts about death and so on.

My GP had suggested I go back to counselling at some point - but I am SO reluctant to do this - I have done all the counselling I want to do - some of it was better than others - to be honest, I'm all talked out. I know WHY I am the way I am (I a was abused as a child) - the counselling helped me to understand that - but I don't think another round of counselling while on meds will make things any better!

Has anyone been through this - I'm happy enough to stay on these tablets for as long as it takes and really don't see the need for counselling again.

Advertisement