Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Requirements to teach in Ireland

• 03-05-2012 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I would like to become a primary school teacher. To date i have my main primary degree and a post grad in International Business Development. I have been told that I could teach Secondary school in Ireland with my post grad...is this true? To be a primary school teacher what would i have to do?

I have only applied through the UK system for PGCE courses so far and have been offered a place, however at the interview they informed everyone that the UK government have tripled rates this year so I would have to pay 9,000 sterling to complete the course :( So if I could avoid paying this fee and study in Ireland instead I would be much happier. Plus if taking the PGCE course I would have to complete my H-Dip in UK the following year.

Any ideas/advice please????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

You need a HDip in education to teach in Irish second level schools, a post grad in business is not the same.
    To do the PGDE in primary teaching I think you need to have a suitable degree also, maybe contact Mary I or St Pats to get all of the info ~ in Ireland you will also have to complete a dip year and this can be difficult to get as jobs are scarce and it is very difficult to get the hours to complete your dip. in the UK they offer a loan system where you can repay the money once you are earning, there are more teaching jobs available and more opportunities to complete your dip there, the course is only 9 months while it is 18 in Ireland. keep researching your options ~ good luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hiow is your Irish?Be aware that there is a huge over-supply of primary teaches and very few jobs at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lorna2

Ah so easterbride you are saying that the 9month PGCE in UK is the same as the 18th month course in Ireland? And after both dip year will have to be completed? You get paid while completing dip year right?
    byhookorbycrook I dont have the required Irish to apply in Ireland so I would have to complete leaving cert Irish next summer if seriously thinking about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

lorna2, the dip year for primary teaching only happens if you manage to get a job after completing the postgrad course. The average applications for primary positions are in the hundreds for each post. A post we advertised in recent years got over 500 applications.

The requirement to complete the dip used be a full year, but it's been lowered to 100 days, and the Dip can now be fitted into 2 blocks of 50 days. This is because it is so difficult to get a job that teachers are finding it impossible to get the dip done at all. Even at this, people are still finding that inspectors can't get round to all the dip students. I know people who graduated 3 years ago, with absolutely amazing CVs, and loads of teaching experience, and still haven't got their dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lorna2

Thank you for your reply ET. I am aware that there is a high demand for jobs! :(
    Would you know if the 9month PGCE in UK is the same as the 18th month course in Ireland?

• Advertisement
Advertisement