Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Well, well. well - T.O. comes in with his usual arrogant 'I know everything and you know nothing' put down.

Did I? That is news to me. Show me where I said I know more than you in that last post? And where I said you know nothing.
    In case you aren't aware of it - the Broncos and the Chargers are playing each other tomorrow - maybe you should concern yourself with how the Pats are going to do against the Colts later this evening.

Your long posts are more about the Broncos. If someone wandered into this thread they would think it was the Broncos thread by reading your posts. Talk about putting down your opponents in their own thread. As for concerning myself for the Pats game later? Laughed at that one. Oh right one can't read or post on anything else on gameday is that right?
    And if I had 'regurgitated' an article from a 'beat writer' I would have referenced the article.

Sure thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

TO. wrote: »
    Oh right one can't read or post on anything else on gameday is that right?
    With all due respect sunshine - you are never shy about telling people to get off the Pats thread when you don't like what they say. Now you want to do the same thing on a Chargers thread. :rolleyes:

With all due respect sunshine - you are never shy about telling people to get off the Pats thread when you don't like what they say. Now you want to do the same thing on a Chargers thread. :rolleyes:

Sunshine is something you say to a child. Don't pretend your age and knowledge are the same thing. And I love how you are telling me off for how this thread is going. Tell you what you continue to go around disrespecting other teams in their own team threads while pretending to sound knowledgeable at the same time.

I love how you are basically writing off the Chargers also. As a Pats fan I am glad we got the Colts over the Chargers. Some will disagree with me but Rivers and that Chargers offense I feel would do a lot more damage to the Pats secondary than the Colts. But hey the Broncos defense is awesome right now eh?

Sunshine is something you say to a child. Don't pretend your age and knowledge are the same thing. And I love how you are telling me off for how this thread is going. Tell you what you continue to go around disrespecting other teams in their own team threads while pretending to sound knowledgeable at the same time.
    Yawn - and there you go again with your usual bullsh*t. I am not disrespecting anyone - we are having a debate. I have one opinion - Leslie and other Chargers fans have a different one. The game tonight will demonstrate who is right. If the Broncos win I will do my usual dance. If the Chargers win I will hold my hand up - congratulate the fans - wish them well and hope they batter the cr*p out fo the Pats - and take my medicine for being wrong.
    I love how you are basically writing off the Chargers also. As a Pats fan I am glad we got the Colts over the Chargers. Some will disagree with me but Rivers and that Chargers offense I feel would do a lot more damage to the Pats secondary than the Colts. But hey the Broncos defense is awesome right now eh?
    No the Broncos defence at best is servicable - and I have outlined above why I believe that the Broncos will win the game. If you wish to challenge those points then go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Almost time, not my usual confident self but my god how I would love to send Manning packing and then NE in the AFC Championship game would be my Super Bowl game. We owe them one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Frank Reich to become OC next year apparently. I really don't get coaches interviewing for other roles at such a critical time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Hard luck lads, great game, ye kept plugging away until the end, but I reckon we were just one step ahead of ye tonight.

Perhaps TO would like to apologize as I thought JRG gave a good account of what might happen. In fairness our banged up D played very well until things got desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Good game guys, yous are a hell of a team and imo a much more legit threat within the division than KC. You'll be back, take consolation from the fact that you all knew the Chargers are a bit away from the finished article but were a tough team to beat all year and with Rivers and McCoy and Manning probably only having one more year in the tank, the future could be bright for yee yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

spiralism wrote: »
    Good game guys, yous are a hell of a team and imo a much more legit threat within the division than KC. You'll be back, take consolation from the fact that you all knew the Chargers are a bit away from the finished article but were a tough team to beat all year and with Rivers and McCoy and Manning probably only having one more year in the tank, the future could be bright for yee yet.

Tks and thanks to Morrissee too... no doubt we overachieved this year. Ask anybody on here would u take a playoff win this season before it started and they'd have bitten your hand off.

Seems our shuffled O line took a half to get organized last nite and it showed. The first half O was horrific. The game should have been over by HT but it wasn't, credit to our D for that. But in the end we just couldn't overcome the injuries back there. Symptomatic was the give up on 3rd and 17 when Bront Bird (who surely won't be a Charger in 2014) played zone when the rest played man.

All in all I'm happy with the season. Keenan Allen is a stud who will dominate for yrs (he is barely 22), Fluker will become an All Pro RT. Loved what I saw from the likes of Addae and Green and even Troutman (we might actually be able to say adios to Clary at last).

I have big doubts about Te'o though don't think he will make it. Looks like Gates might be pretty much at the end. I look forward to seeing what Frank Reich can become as an OC. I'm hoping Mike Mc learned tons about game mgmt and play calling/strategy too.

Onto pick 25 in the draft Tom Telesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

I think we hit the wall last night. We looked gassed. Couldnt get anything going on offense. We didnt match the Broncos intensity. We knew it was coming and should have planned for it and thats why I just think we didnt have the juice in the tank after basically playing playoff football for 6 weeks now.

The Mathews injury is obviously a factor too. The Broncos won pretty easily to be fair but we deserve credit for sticking at it and we did get it back to a one score game. Most of our defeats this year were only 1 score. We are getting there. Like Leslie said we have reasons to be positive for next year and hopefully a 100% fit Mathews, Alexander and Floyd as well along with hopefully some Telesco discovered gems in the draft and FA.

Well done Bolts. A very good year beyond my expectations. We are on our way back!!

Outclassed for 3/4 of the game yesterday. Broncos definitely were the better team. Addae has been a great find, Allen had a great 4th quarter. Some bad drops by both sides (Green, Gates for Chargers, Julius Thomas for the Broncos). Can't believe a 3rd and 17 was given up to end the game, would have been around 3:30 left to play with 2 timeouts :/ I don't know why they persisted with the running game when Matthews was so hobbled, it seemed like there was no plan B and it was known all week that it was going to be needed.

As an aside, I was impressed with Balls turn around from his early season fumbling.

I apologise to everyone in this thread for derailing the thread. And JRG I am sorry for attacking you and not your post it was uncalled for. Next time will refrain from the personal stuff and take on your post and discuss it.

I enjoyed the game and felt it was a good battle.

The game pretty much went as I expected. The Broncos brought the right approach. I was impressed with how the Bolts defence hung in and keep the Chargers in the game. Despite criticism from me earlier I was impressed by Wright and it looks like he has the potential to be a good player in the NFL.

I think the Broncos were more comfortable than the final result (and the 4th qtr) indicates. The Chargers go the luck of the bounce on a number of occasions during the game (the INT, the penalty by Bolden on the return, the on-side kick etc). I also think that the game exposed Rivers somewhat as a QB - some one who is easily rattled and blows hot and cold.

Saying that the Chargers deserve credit for their five game streak to make the divisional play-off and are an improving team. I think they are better and have more potential than KC and an improving Chargers will improve the entire AFC West. Looking forward to next season's games.

P.S. I acknowledge the response of T.O.

I enjoyed the game and felt it was a good battle.

The game pretty much went as I expected. The Broncos brought the right approach. I was impressed with how the Bolts defence hung in and keep the Chargers in the game. Despite criticism from me earlier I was impressed by Wright and it looks like he has the potential to be a good player in the NFL.

I think the Broncos were more comfortable than the final result (and the 4th qtr) indicates. The Chargers go the luck of the bounce on a number of occasions during the game (the INT, the penalty by Bolden on the return, the on-side kick etc). I also think that the game exposed Rivers somewhat as a QB - some one who is easily rattled and blows hot and cold.

Saying that the Chargers deserve credit for their five game streak to make the divisional play-off and are an improving team. I think they are better and have more potential than KC and an improving Chargers will improve the entire AFC West. Looking forward to next season's games.

P.S. I acknowledge the response of T.O.

Not having Mathews and the poor playcalling 1st half killed us, it was clear we were going to struggle running Ronnie and Woody esp with Troutman at RG causing all sorts of confusion and doubt. The drop by the aforementioned Wright (who I think will be a v good corner) didn't help either.

Having said that the Broncos O line came to play last nite unlike in December when we battered them. I agree though for whatever reason the game was not out of sight when we started to play (when it should have been). You'll need to up your game a few notches for the Pats methinks.

Like you said roll on the division games in 2014.

Well damn. So disappointed in the offence. Was exactly what I was afraid of happening. Reminded me of the patriot games, curl and underneath routes by denver receivers killing us. Denver Oline where fantastic.

Someone on here said we got the rub of the green, but that is utter rubbish. The holding denver got away with was ridiculous, on the run before Moreno td in the 2nd half, Marshall was held and turned directly in front of the ref. The PI flag on the 3rd down was an uncatchable ball too.

Anyways can't say I want either afc team to win but shall be enjoyable games.

Our roster doesn't have much dead weight on it. If it makes financial sense to let gates go in wouldn't mind. I'm guessing he is on huge salary. Had a good year statistically but may be time to move on. God knows of Alexander Floyd and freeney be back, or if Cox can get his act together.

I've always been confident in this bunch. We have some real quality players, let's hope we can add to that and push on.

Leslie think you are being very harsh on Teo, a kid who hasn't had an off season, if he was in there yesterday that zone to the flat would of been covered because he is that clever. Interesting to see what we do in the draft.

A DT or corner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Anybody heard anything about Geathers lately? Where he was picked in the draft he was always going to be more of a project player.
    Would be nice to have him play more of a role next season. And if they think he's up to the task then it gives them a bit more flexibility in the offseason. Corner/OLB/WR/NT all in play with the 1st rounder you would think.

Whiz gone to the Titans. Thanks for the year and good luck, I wonder what he sees in Locker. I would have thought Stafford would have been more attractive to develop

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Anybody heard anything about Geathers lately? Where he was picked in the draft he was always going to be more of a project player.
    Would be nice to have him play more of a role next season. And if they think he's up to the task then it gives them a bit more flexibility in the offseason. Corner/OLB/WR/NT all in play with the 1st rounder you would think.

He was an UDFA and was inactive most games. He was active the last 2 and if he saw the field more than 5 plays I'd be surprised. I can't see him amounting to anything. Plays far too upright, a bit like Cam. We badly need a proper NT. Jerideau might actually end up being the better player.

Molly wrote: »
    Whiz gone to the Titans. Thanks for the year and good luck, I wonder what he sees in Locker. I would have thought Stafford would have been more attractive to develop

I thought the same thing straight away. Mad to go to a team without a premier QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I thought the same thing straight away. Mad to go to a team without a premier QB.

less pressure?...The Lions should be a regular playoff team now with Stafford, Megatron, Bush, Bell, Pettigrew, Burleson etc...very good options on offense.
    They really imploded this year..again!

Might have time to build the Titans up a bit. Will be interesting to see how they draft.

• Advertisement

Jason Michael our TEs coach has bolted to the Titans will be interesting to see who Mike and TT bring in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Jason Michael our TEs coach has bolted to the Titans will be interesting to see who Mike and TT bring in.

In fairness if he's been offered the OC job it'd be impossible for him to turn down. I think mccoy will really try promote from within when he can.

How do people feel about the pagano rehiring, not fully behind it as I think our defence has been incredibly inconsistent during his term. He hasn't great personnel to play with and was unlucky with injuries but I'm not sure they've been as well prepared as they could have been every week

OAOB wrote: »
    In fairness if he's been offered the OC job it'd be impossible for him to turn down. I think mccoy will really try promote from within when he can.

How do people feel about the pagano rehiring, not fully behind it as I think our defence has been incredibly inconsistent during his term. He hasn't great personnel to play with and was unlucky with injuries but I'm not sure they've been as well prepared as they could have been every week

I'm not in the Pagano camp, I'd liked to have seen change there but I can understand why he is being brought back. But this will be his last year if there is not a marked improvement in 3rd down conversions and pass rush. He has to be on his last chance in my opinion.

Maybe we will see a change in his staff but I doubt it. We could certainly freshen it up a bit. Don Johnson (not of Miami Vice) has been there ages now and the likes of Cam and Reyes seem to be regressing rather than improving.

I'm not in the Pagano camp, I'd liked to have seen change there but I can understand why he is being brought back. But this will be his last year if there is not a marked improvement in 3rd down conversions and pass rush. He has to be on his last chance in my opinion.

Maybe we will see a change in his staff but I doubt it. We could certainly freshen it up a bit. Don Johnson (not of Miami Vice) has been there ages now and the likes of Cam and Reyes seem to be regressing rather than improving.

I presume this draft will be predominantly defence so with more talent available to him he can get more consistent. I'd love to see freeney and ingram opposite each other on passing downs and have a decent cb covering down field.
    I wonder did we enquire about wade philips at all

Manti T'eo played the whole season with a broken foot. Hopefully that can explain some of his sub par performances.

Sounds stupid but that's great news. Hopefully he'll get healthy before preseason

Sounds stupid but that's great news. Hopefully he'll get healthy before preseason

Well he's had the surgery already. So on the mend now. Also Brandon Taylor had more ACL surgery so that's not great.

Well he's had the surgery already. So on the mend now. Also Brandon Taylor had more ACL surgery so that's not great.

Yeah thought it v strange to hear that Taylor has more knee surgery after/near the v end of the season. He was never active all year so why didn't they just operate as soon as? we could have brought another guy in for a look see with him on IR.

As for Manti hope that's a massive reason why he looked so poor this yr. Surely he can only improve now? how important is the signing to a long term of Butler?, after he it's Te'o, Mouton and feckin Bront Bird God help us. I could see up going ILB in the draft early if Telesco sees a Keenan Allen type value/player on the board in rd 2 or 3.

Having said that I am all about corner, nose tackle and O line this April.

I put this in the FA thread too, what say yee?

San Diego Chargers

Seyi Ajirotutu Wide Receiver 2014: Free Agent - I'd like to see him back, great special teams gunner
    Danario Alexander Wide Receiver 2014: Free Agent - injury waiting to happen again but a brilliant receiver, I'd like to see him get another shot
    Bront Bird Linebacker 2014: Restricted Free Agent - don't let the door hit you on the way out
    Ronnie Brown Running Back 2014: Free Agent - thanks for the memories Ron but bye
    Donald Butler Linebacker 2014: Free Agent - Must sign but will be pricey
    Larry English Linebacker 2014: Free Agent - see Bront Bird
    Lavelle Hawkins Wide Receiver 2014: Free Agent - who?, bye bye
    Terrell Manning Linebacker 2013: Free Agent - bye
    Richard Marshall Defensive Back 2014: Free Agent - I'd like to see him brought back for depth
    Rich Ohrnberger Guard 2014: Free Agent - will be re-signed valuable can play 3 interior positions
    Ryan Otten Tight End 2013: Free Agent - who?, bye
    Chad Rinehart Guard 2014: Free Agent - should be back nice RG
    Steve Schilling Tackle 2014: Restricted Free Agent - end of the rd for Steve bye bye
    Darrell Stuckey Defensive Back 2014: Free Agent - hoping no other team sees how good this guy is on STs and is starting to see some time on D too
    Cam Thomas Defensive Lineman 2014: Free Agent - total underachiever would need to come back cheaply
    Reggie Walker Linebacker 2014: Free Agent - has something, might be back
    Charlie Whitehurst Quarterback 2014: Free Agent - all depends on Sorensen, Charlie might be toast

Others

Jeromey Clary Tackle - signed thru 2014 but too expensive to carry so will have to restructure or he is gone
    Dwight Freeney Linebacker - signed thru 2014 but question mark on if he will be brought back not getting any younger
    Nick Hardwick - might he retire? (see Alex Mack below)
    Le'ron McClain - adios amigo in my opinion
    Eddie Royal - might want to restructure him, v pricey in 2014
    Malcom Floyd - I doubt he comes back after injury
    Vincent Brown - could be on the bubble
    Derek Cox - sounds like TT is going to give him a second chance

I'd love to see us go hard after Alex Mack and best FA NT out there whoever he is.

• Advertisement

Alex Mack will be very expensive.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/2/5/5384408/national-signing-day-san-diego-chargers-as-high-school-recruits <-- this is really cool. Rivers and Weddle as 2 stars. Crezdon Butler as a 4 star. DJ as a 5 star. Dunlap as 3 star was really surprising given his size

Alex Mack will be very expensive.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/2/5/5384408/national-signing-day-san-diego-chargers-as-high-school-recruits <-- this is really cool. Rivers and Weddle as 2 stars. Crezdon Butler as a 4 star. DJ as a 5 star. Dunlap as 3 star was really surprising given his size

Alex Mack will be pricey but worth it. Never misses a game, best center out there, a complete stud in the middle of our O line, truly and literally someone you can build your Line around.

Saw that about the high school grades... mad alright.

Down go McClain, Cox and Patrick.

I wonder who is next. I'd like to see Clary dumped unless he agrees to come back for peanuts.

Also, want to see us bring Rinehart, Stuckey and Marshall back.

I wonder who is next. I'd like to see Clary dumped unless he agrees to come back for peanuts.

Those 3 players are no loss, contributed very little last year.

Clary is a tough guy and I think we need some of them. He will have to restructure if he's to stay.

Not overly sure about Marshall being resigned, if he's one of our CBs come sept then we really haven't upgraded. CBs already signed are Wright Gilchrist and Williams and we'll definitely draft at least one, we'll carry 5 I presume

Great news about Butler

Clary is a tough guy and I think we need some of them. He will have to restructure if he's to stay.

Not overly sure about Marshall being resigned, if he's one of our CBs come sept then we really haven't upgraded. CBs already signed are Wright Gilchrist and Williams and we'll definitely draft at least one, we'll carry 5 I presume

Great news about Butler

Great news about Butler

U still traveling the back of beyond? interesting point u make about calling Gilly a corner. At times last season we had Gilly, Weddle, Addae and Stuckey all on the field at the same time. When u think of it all 4 are/or have played safety. So, methinks they might be looking at Gilly as more of the slot corner now since Patrick was released.

Yeah another month and a half travelling but be back home to see the draft.

I'm presuming Gilchrist is our slot corner, its by far the position he has been most effective for us and he played that at the end of the season anyway so coaches have probably accepted his move to a safety isn't working.
    Addae will be the likely ss entering training camp and it just depends on whether Taylor ever gets healthy to be even considered a back up.
    I haven't been able to keep up with rumours over here much, any sign of them even talking to stuckey at the moment? He developed beyond just a special teamer last year and I really hope they bring him back

Yeah another month and a half travelling but be back home to see the draft.

I'm presuming Gilchrist is our slot corner, its by far the position he has been most effective for us and he played that at the end of the season anyway so coaches have probably accepted his move to a safety isn't working.
    Addae will be the likely ss entering training camp and it just depends on whether Taylor ever gets healthy to be even considered a back up.
    I haven't been able to keep up with rumours over here much, any sign of them even talking to stuckey at the moment? He developed beyond just a special teamer last year and I really hope they bring him back

Good stuff u must b havin a ball...

No news on Stuckey yet, most seem to think him being brought back is going to happen though. I can't see them letting him go, he is a true demon on special teams and made it onto the D at times near the end o the season like u say.

I want to see he, Rinehart, Seyi and Marshall come back.

Stuckey and Rinehart back in the fold now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Shane.C

This beckons a goodbye for Clary.

Shane.C wrote: »
    This beckons a goodbye for Clary.

Here's hoping!!.

Yes, his cap hit is outrageous but he's simply not good enough a player regardless, at best he is a backup, the 6th or 7th O lineman to dress Sundays. Either he takes a massive pay cut or cut him loose.

I thought Clary did a fine job at guard this year :o

Great to have Butler tied down for his whole career, great contract structue for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Donald Brown RB from Indy signs!
    I really like this pick up, solidifies the RB position and looking back at the Denver playoff game, when we lost Mathews, our Offense became ineffective, this pick up will definitely stop that from happening again.

Shane.C wrote: »
    Donald Brown RB from Indy signs!
    I really like this pick up, solidifies the RB position and looking back at the Denver playoff game, when we lost Mathews, our Offense became ineffective, this pick up will definitely stop that from happening again.

100% agree, he's the perfect backup to Ryan should he go down/need some rest. In fact the 2 of them could almost share the carries down the line. And Brown is better pass catcher and pass protector, all in all nice signing. Even if it seems there is a conveyor belt from Indy to SD. I hear there is a good chance we will be signing a LB from there too to backup our ILBs.

I was under the impression that he was a good pass protector but heard a few indy fans say they were never impressed by that aspect of his game.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that he was a good pass protector but heard a few indy fans say they were never impressed by that aspect of his game.

He's better than Mathews anyway. And at least with Brown in the game the opponents D cannot be as sure as to whether we will run or pass. That is an unfortunate by product of having Ryan in there.

Another couple of smaller name add ons in last couple of days, corner from Bengals, Ghee (who I've never heard of) and the TE/FB type from Steelers, Johnson, and yet another Colt i.e. Conner who immediately improves the backup LB depth over the likes of Bront Bird. Happy to see Reggie Walker back too.

So Clary has still not been re-structured or cut... surely only a matter of time eh lads.

Onto draft think now. Who would u like to see/think we will see at #25?

I think Nix will be there but I don't want him over a corner like Fuller say. I'd even look at taking the best Guard in the draft there and rid ourselves of the likes of Clary.

The 3 options for us in the 1st round are CB, NT or WR.
    CB seems to be the main priority and ideally fuller is available for us. There's a lot of players with a lot of potential but I'm not convinced any of the CBs available at 25 will develop into a no.1 CB.
    At NT it seems like nix is our best bet but jernigan would be brilliant if he dropped to us. On a side note I was really surprised we cut jerideau this week, why cut a NT when we only had 3 to begin with. It means I think NT is our top priority.
    WR is an unknown quantity with the team because brown is inconsistent and floyd isn't a guarantee to play again. Unfortunately I think Alexander is too big a risk to sign. By signing a top WR in round 1 we could create a scary offence with a huge number of weapons

The 3 options for us in the 1st round are CB, NT or WR.
    CB seems to be the main priority and ideally fuller is available for us. There's a lot of players with a lot of potential but I'm not convinced any of the CBs available at 25 will develop into a no.1 CB.
    At NT it seems like nix is our best bet but jernigan would be brilliant if he dropped to us. On a side note I was really surprised we cut jerideau this week, why cut a NT when we only had 3 to begin with. It means I think NT is our top priority.
    WR is an unknown quantity with the team because brown is inconsistent and floyd isn't a guarantee to play again. Unfortunately I think Alexander is too big a risk to sign. By signing a top WR in round 1 we could create a scary offence with a huge number of weapons

Yep wideout is a need too but I don't want to see one taken round 1. History proves there are v few sure things at WR and some of the best in the league have been low draft picks or even UDFAs. I'd be happy with Nix but as I said above would prefer one of the top 3 corners (whoever they are) right now my fave is Fuller. I don't think Jernigan can play the nose he is more of a 4-3 DT no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement