Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Clary aint getting cut, if he was he be already let go, he done fine at Guard last year, no he aint worth the money but we have enough needs without making another immediate one.

I like our secondary, it was no coencidence that our secodary looked decent when Ingram came back. Pass rush is a secondarys best friend. In saying that a stud of a corner would be welcome :p

Im pretty relaxed with this draft, we reigned the players we needed to during the off season, and have money to play with next year and a bunch the year after. Only dissapointment was how much we paid Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Clary aint getting cut, if he was he be already let go, he done fine at Guard last year, no he aint worth the money but we have enough needs without making another immediate one.

I like our secondary, it was no coencidence that our secodary looked decent when Ingram came back. Pass rush is a secondarys best friend. In saying that a stud of a corner would be welcome :p

Im pretty relaxed with this draft, we reigned the players we needed to during the off season, and have money to play with next year and a bunch the year after. Only dissapointment was how much we paid Brown.

Clary will get re-done though. No way he plays this season on his current deal, better players have already been re-structured. Heard Daniel Jeremiah talking about how Telesco is a production guy more than a measurables guy hence the picks of Allen and T'eo i.e. their 40 time etc is not as important to him as what they have done/can do on the football field.

Another feckin mega late monday nighter to start the season lads. Might be forced to take the Tuesday off and watch the game live. Hate having to wait/avoid the internet the next day until I get to see it on Gamepass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Looks like i'll be going to the buffalo game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Arizona in Arizona and Seattle at home, two very tough games to start the season! Bring it on!:D

Molly wrote: »
    Looks like i'll be going to the buffalo game :D

V cool if I can't get to SD I'd love to get to the Miami game.

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to get to San Diego for me this year but I can drive to Buffalo, probably get to pats against bears game as well.

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to get to San Diego for me this year but I can drive to Buffalo, probably get to pats against bears game as well.

Where you living Molly? NYC?

Edit: see it has your location as Boston sorry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

We're very quiet here lads.

Anyone with a strong preference for who we draft? I'm not making any predictions myself because it is impossible to guess who will fall to us, especially at CB. Taking fluker last year shows that telesco is hard to predict so we could take a shot at anyone.

One intriguing scenario is if Carr falls to us at 25 and the browns haven't a qb yet could some team want to trade with us to get ahead of them? Could possibly get another second this year and two firsts for next year.

OAOB wrote: »
    We're very quiet here lads.

Anyone with a strong preference for who we draft? I'm not making any predictions myself because it is impossible to guess who will fall to us, especially at CB. Taking fluker last year shows that telesco is hard to predict so we could take a shot at anyone.

One intriguing scenario is if Carr falls to us at 25 and the browns haven't a qb yet could some team want to trade with us to get ahead of them? Could possibly get another second this year and two firsts for next year.

G'day OAOB, buenas dias.

I want a corner pick one, I don't think there is a D lineman (esp tackle/nose) worthy at our spot. Someone like Fuller or Roby for me as I expect the likes of Dennard will be gone. Would love the Attaochu lad in the 2nd if he is there. Or Van Noy but he'll likely be gone early 2nd. All in all it is corner first, OLB second for me. We can get a good wideout round 3 like last year. Don't see the nose tackle value at all, Aubrayo could be brought back after the draft to spell Lissemore.

Oh and you are right about Cleveland's second pick in round one if they don't go QB early on. If Minnesota don't go QB rd 1 they could be a trading partner at #25.

• Advertisement

I think nose tackle is a big priority. We keep filling it with short term average players and not finding a proper solution to it.
    I wouldn't go olb in the second, leave it til the 4th. We have ingram, jj, freeney and english as our main ones with keiser (if he doesnt get cut over his assault). A second round rookie won't get much playing time except for injuries.
    I like the second round pick to be either a cb or nt, whichever we don't get in the 1st or else grab a good OT who could cover LT but ideally kick fluker inside to guard and create a monstrous right side of the line to open up running lanes

I think nose tackle is a big priority. We keep filling it with short term average players and not finding a proper solution to it.
    I wouldn't go olb in the second, leave it til the 4th. We have ingram, jj, freeney and english as our main ones with keiser (if he doesnt get cut over his assault). A second round rookie won't get much playing time except for injuries.
    I like the second round pick to be either a cb or nt, whichever we don't get in the 1st or else grab a good OT who could cover LT but ideally kick fluker inside to guard and create a monstrous right side of the line to open up running lanes

I like that idea but I wonder how popular that move would be among the Charger coaches and esp Fluker himself. The reason I'm saying OLB is someone like Van Noy (prob gone by our 2nd rd pick) or Attaochu would be a massive improvement to what we have. Attaochu coming in on 3rd down over JJ & all the rest of em bar Freeney would be v cool. NT is defo a big need for us but I don't believe there is a NT worth picking in the 2nd. Nix will be gone as will Hageman and both I reckon are just ok, not 8 yr rock solid nose tackles (these guys don't grow on trees I know).

Tickets for Bills game actually purchased. 9 rows from the field around the 20 yard line :)

Don't want a NT in the first, NT only plays around 50% of our snaps so it seems costly for a first round pick. Could argue the impact he would have on those snaps but I'd sooner see a corner or guard. Wouldn't be opposed to Van Noy in the first.

Don't want Fluker moved to guard, he was excellent at RT last year especially given he had that useless lump next to him, didn't really get the credit he deserved as he was poor on the left.

Tickets for Bills game actually purchased. 9 rows from the field around the 20 yard line :)

Don't want a NT in the first, NT only plays around 50% of our snaps so it seems costly for a first round pick. Could argue the impact he would have on those snaps but I'd sooner see a corner or guard. Wouldn't be opposed to Van Noy in the first.

Don't want Fluker moved to guard, he was excellent at RT last year especially given he had that useless lump next to him, didn't really get the credit he deserved as he was poor on the left.

It's funny.... anybody close to SD realise how good he was as a rookie RT last yr. But like u say those outside SD who also saw him struggle somewhat at LT did not give him the recognition his general play and attitude warranted. He outplayed Fisher for starters even if Fisher purports to be a LT down the line.

I like Van Noy but he could be picked up a lot lower than 25 so if he's our guy we should try trade back.

We don't have a nt good enough to play more than 50% of plays. I think nix will be a very good player but we could move up a few places in the second round to get him as his stock is dropping quick.

Fluker is a stud RT but I'd be drafting another tackle with the intention of replaceing dunlap next year and if it works out well Fluker goes back to RT. If dunlap gets injured again we'd be well equipped to deal with it. Also if he gets injured this year then we shouldn't be extending his contract so we'd need to draft a LT next year. I'm thinking either of the 2 OT from tennesse are good options.

By the way it doesn't sound like it from my post but I was hugely impressed with Dunlap last year and I also really like mike harris but only as a backup

Verret seems to love San Diego and would be a decent pick up in the first IMO.

If that situation of trading down presents itself, I'd have no problem accepting it if there was no '1st Round' CB's.

It's more than likely Gates' last year, and Hardwick, J Johnson and Freeney, if we are going to try and go further we go further now rather than later. So we need an immediate impact player.

I'd love Kelvin Benjamin, that big 6'5 frame would do wonders for Rivers' looping ball!

Here's to a successful draft!

I'm thinking O line now lads... this lad XSF could be a Charger tonight. Enjoy it!.

Could very well be Leslie. I wouldn't be disappointed with it either!
    It would mean going for a CB in the second, trading up for one even! Wright and Marshall are not the starting CB's we need. Wright does show potential as a second though.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed there is a run on QBs, starts with pick 7 and 8.

If Fuller gets past the steelers he could drop to a nice position where we could trade up ahead of the Benegals.Not keen on verett from TCU.

Butler has said he wants a big Jose tackle. Nix will be there but he probably be there another 8-12 picks later too.

Wild card pick? Marques Lee.

Don't see a Oline picked with the first two picks. We might not even take anyone tonight, either way enjoy!!

Happy with that.

Oh ffs one pick away from getting the best corner in the draft. Knew the Benegals would cause us trouble.

Revenge for embarrassing them in the playoffs :P

Well I presume he was the top ranked corner on our board so had to grab him

Yeah it was a toss up between he and Roby I guess. We'll be able to compare the 2 easily now that Denver got Roby. Yes we needed a corner and needed one badly but I have to say I was screaming for the G XSF when we were on the clock. But anywhere I read pre draft said this guy could be the best corner in the draft and would have gone number 1 were he 2-3 inches taller. That's 2 yrs in a row we overlooked the height stat i.e. Steve Williams last yr.

I guess it will be between Verrett and Ghee now to start opposite Wright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Nobody else worried about his injury history? Read it just now on NFL.com and its a horrible history!!

setanta74 wrote: »
    Nobody else worried about his injury history? Read it just now on NFL.com and its a horrible history!!

He played all last year with torn labrum I believe, and like Dee Milliner last year had surgery after his pro day. I would have thought he'll come back 100% from it esp when he could play through it, shows toughness and dedication to the cause.

Hopefully he's over them all now but I cant help worry what the NFL may do to him. Just hope we dont get another injury prone player. I'll stay positive for now!

I've all the faith in the world in Wright, but this guy is 5.9. Could you imagine the trouble we will be in with him against Bowe or D. Thomas.

Lots of good players in the 2nd, so looking forward to tonight

I've all the faith in the world in Wright, but this guy is 5.9. Could you imagine the trouble we will be in with him against Bowe or D. Thomas.

Lots of good players in the 2nd, so looking forward to tonight

Yeah feckin loads I'd like to see wear the Bolts...

Jernigan, XSF, Bitonio, Robinson, Matthews, Van Noy, Kouandjio, Marcus M from USC, Attaochu, Trai Turner/Nix (can get them in rd 3 I reckon).... so much depth this year.

• Advertisement

With Verret, it was definitely a thought to 'who's going to cover Welker?'

The guy is an absolute animal, and has great character, size being his only downfall IMO.
    Love the pick, bring on the second round!

Edit: If you're really worried about his height and potential, and don't take into consideration his explosiveness, fight and determination, this guy says otherwise, standing at a grand height of 5'8 306275.jpg

Shane.C wrote: »
    With Verret, it was definitely a thought to 'who's going to cover Welker?'

The guy is an absolute animal, and has great character, size being his only downfall IMO.
    Love the pick, bring on the second round!

Edit: If you're really worried about his height and potential, and don't take into consideration his explosiveness, fight and determination, this guy says otherwise, standing at a grand height of 5'8 306275.jpg

And guess who was involved when Tim Jennings was being drafted!!!, you guessed it TT.

We have just drafted a small Revis Ha.
    Don't know why i want Lee so much, but would love him opposite KA.

No need for Nix imo, Lissmoure is going to start so unless he falls into the 3rd.

Walterfootball's two writers and mocking the draft have written second round mocks. They all have Attaochu coming to us. That would be underwhelming.

Walterfootball's two writers and mocking the draft have written second round mocks. They all have Attaochu coming to us. That would be underwhelming.

I don't see us picking him up and I'd be surprised if he even fell to us.

I really want an O Lineman, and Kouandjio or Xavier would be great pick ups.
    Or just get Allen Robinson Penn State WR, an absolute animal.

We have just drafted a small Revis Ha.
    Don't know why i want Lee so much, but would love him opposite KA.

No need for Nix imo, Lissmoure is going to start so unless he falls into the 3rd.

Is Lee quick enough?, can he stretch the F out of the field ala DeSean Jackson, it's a burner we need. I am liking what I am hearing about Allen Robinson, how quick is he?

I like him but #57 might be a tad high.

Shane.C wrote: »
    I don't see us picking him up and I'd be surprised if he even fell to us.

I really want an O Lineman, and Kouandjio or Xavier would be great pick ups.
    Or just get Allen Robinson Penn State WR, an absolute animal.

I want more beef on O line too, would be delighted with XSF, CK, Moses or Bitonio in round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

Would love Cody Latimer or Marquise Lee and a G/NT tonight. Wouldn't mind trading up for XSF at the right price either.

Attaochu it is!

• Advertisement

Not sure about these picks, Attaochu has all the physiacal traits but needs to learn how to read the game better
    Watt is the opposite, not great physically but incredibly smart player. I read that he was was the man in ND who identified moves by the opposing DL so possibly an eventual heir to Hardwick

After having some time to digest what went on in the draft I gotta say I'm not best pleased with our haul. I look at what the 49ers and even the feckin Raiders can do (coincidence that they are CA teams too I know) and think of what could have been...

Don't get me wrong I like Verrett and the potential in Jerry is intriguing but after that it was a massive MEH. That NT certainly seems to be big enough and strong enough but at the end of the day he was a 5th rounder so how much of an impact might he be?

When we picked Watt, the following were still there and for me far superior players - Trai Turner, Brandon Thomas, to mention 2 other linemen, but the below were available also;

Moncrief, Jaylen Watkins, Bruce Ellington, Justin Ellis, DaQuan Jones, Martavis Bryant....... I could go on.

Break it down for me those of you who know more than me about these draft picks. How many of them will start? Is it hoping for too much to expect the same impact as Fluker and Allen last year?

setanta74 wrote: »
    Break it down for me those of you who know more than me about these draft picks. How many of them will start? Is it hoping for too much to expect the same impact as Fluker and Allen last year?

Verrett should start that's about it I reckon. Attaochu will rotate with Freeney, JJ and Super Mel.

Watt I just dunno. Can he push Clary out?

Hoping Carrethers can give Lissemore breathers.

Looks like we've found a kick returner or 2, may the best man win.

Verrett will start anyway, attaochu will rotate. I think watt will either be a starting guard or else be our back up centre who will take over from Hardwick eventually. I presume it's going to be a 3 way battle between clary troutman and watt for a starting guard spot. Carrethers should rotate in, , apparently he's a run stopper so 1st and 2nd downs mostly. Not happy about us taking a rb, no space for him. Our last 2 picks were wasted I think.

I don't like the attaochu pick because I don't think he was worth sacrificing the 4th for. He has a high ceiling but a second round pick should be starter material.
    The only reason I like the watt pick is because apparently coach d had worked out all the guards that were available at that point and he chose watt. He is an Oline genius so i would value his opinion over any of these draft experts. For that reason I'm actually excited about the pick

Verrett will start anyway, attaochu will rotate. I think watt will either be a starting guard or else be our back up centre who will take over from Hardwick eventually. I presume it's going to be a 3 way battle between clary troutman and watt for a starting guard spot. Carrethers should rotate in, , apparently he's a run stopper so 1st and 2nd downs mostly. Not happy about us taking a rb, no space for him. Our last 2 picks were wasted I think.

I don't like the attaochu pick because I don't think he was worth sacrificing the 4th for. He has a high ceiling but a second round pick should be starter material.
    The only reason I like the watt pick is because apparently coach d had worked out all the guards that were available at that point and he chose watt. He is an Oline genius so i would value his opinion over any of these draft experts. For that reason I'm actually excited about the pick

I'm with you ref Joe D's opinion. Had Joe worked out Trai Turner for sure?

I can't get myself excited by Watt though. But if he is seen as Hardwick's heir at center then it might make sense, he is a v bright lad who made all the adjustment calls along the ND line last yr so he would have the smarts to play center.

Good article on Watt by Jerome on BFTB. Jerome is a really good technical coach from what i can tell and he's hugely impressed with Watts tape. Good article

Stuff like that and contributions from Crean and Kyle Posey make BFTB worth reading.

• Advertisement

Stuff like that and contributions from Crean and Kyle Posey make BFTB worth reading.

Yeah I agree completely.

John writes stupid articles that I usually scan over and then hit the comments. In fairness to john though if he wasn't writing crap there wouldn't be a new article every day

Out of curiousity does anyone use any other sites for news/discussion on the chargers? Can't stand bolt beat and just can't get into bolt talk

Advertisement