Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It's interesting you say that about your top two WR's as neither Cruz nor Randle have received a target from Eli in the two pre-season games so far.

Is there a logic to this do you know (not wanting to tip your gameplan etc.) or is it just coincidence on the limited plays that the guys you want to get the ball to are not open

In our case I'd imagine it was decided that 'let's not bother throwing to the guys we know can do it, instead let's try run it/throw to the new guys'. I reckon we might see some balls coming their ways game 2 and esp game 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Nasty beatdown by the Seahawks. Can we take anything from it?

setanta74 wrote: »
    Nasty beatdown by the Seahawks. Can we take anything from it?

U mean anything good right?

Cos there is plenty of bad.

I guess one can always say it was just another preseason game that can be kind of meaningless but........

That does not disguise the fact that our D line is less than paper thin. We're getting manhandled up there so I'd imagine Tom will be actively scouring the waiver wire over the next 2 weeks for some solid beef. Reyes has been a huge disappointment, he gets out-muscled continuously.

It'll be a long year if the D line can't get their act together.

Te'o injured again. For a lad who hardly missed a beat in college he sure seems to be having some 'bad luck'. At least this year it is not Bront Bird to come in for him.

Must say I hate the new 'do not touch a receiver' rule. It is ridiculous and the call on Flowers was a joke. Here's hoping the officials cop themselves on in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Well our first team offence looks fine but the defence was useless. Front 7 really need to step it up but I don't think we've the quality on the dline.
    Our safeties were abused too

OAOB wrote: »
    Well our first team offence looks fine but the defence was useless. Front 7 really need to step it up but I don't think we've the quality on the dline.
    Our safeties were abused too

U mean Stuckey primarily right?

Jeez mobile QBs really kill us. It's like we should play a spy permanently, somebody like Addae maybe. Thankfully only Alex Smith is anyway mobile in our division.

Liuget played like a man possessed. Thought Conner looked better than Te'o ever has. Steve Williams was abused 4 plays in a row. Fluker was only so so he can be much better. D line depth is wiped out. I guess there will be at least 1 D lineman on this 53 that is not on team today... Yer man Worthington did ok for a guy who only arrived Thursday. Looks like he has the body shape for DE, big strong dude, not fat.

I only watched until the starters were pulled but thought offensively we looked great until we got to the red zone and struggled again there. I hope it's a case of not showing our hand until the regular season.
    The flip side is SF have a lot of defensive injuries at the moment so we must keep that in mind.
    The defence looked a whole lot better this week, hopefully corey can keep that production up as he bullied everyone he met last night.

I only watched until the starters were pulled but thought offensively we looked great until we got to the red zone and struggled again there. I hope it's a case of not showing our hand until the regular season.
    The flip side is SF have a lot of defensive injuries at the moment so we must keep that in mind.
    The defence looked a whole lot better this week, hopefully corey can keep that production up as he bullied everyone he met last night.

Not many surprises in initial cuts apart from the fact that Geathers went from 'not to badly injured' to IR in the blink of an eye. We let go some good TEs in my opinion and Flacco remains, I don't get that one.

Ghee sure didn't last long in the end. The arrival of Verrett in the draft and Flowers a bit later really put paid to his chances I guess.

Watched some of the 49er game again and thought Troutman looked poor enough. He was always a LG in college and early on, maybe he will never make it at RG. Interestingly his main competitor for the spot, Chris Watt, only played LG in college too.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed with Ghee, reports were that if he was healthy he'd be good but he never showed up.
    In other news Derek Cox cut by vikings and signed by ravens, they must be desperate

I was disappointed with Ghee, reports were that if he was healthy he'd be good but he never showed up.
    In other news Derek Cox cut by vikings and signed by ravens, they must be desperate

Yeah me too... Ghee was a big let down. I had seen Cox cut by the Vikes but didn't see the Ravens picking him up. Maybe 3rd time lucky but I doubt it. Guy seemed to lose any semblance of confidence with us. And you cannot play corner doubting yourself.

What do you make of richard Marshall taking reps at safety? I think he's not good enough as a corner to make the team (on the rostet maybe but inactive) but if he can cover SS and corner then he's pretty valuable, especially while addae is injured.
    Disclaimer: I didn't get to see any of the snaps he played, he could be a terrible safety

What do you make of richard Marshall taking reps at safety? I think he's not good enough as a corner to make the team (on the rostet maybe but inactive) but if he can cover SS and corner then he's pretty valuable, especially while addae is injured.
    Disclaimer: I didn't get to see any of the snaps he played, he could be a terrible safety

Didn't see much of Marshall to be honest but I did notice Phillips and Darby, esp Phillips. He was like a heat seeking missile at times. He should make the PS at the v least I would have thought. Marshall has supposed to have gotten himself healthy this offseason, for the first time in a few years. I gotta say I've been expecting more from him as a result. When Wright, Flowers and Verrett came out it was Williams and Butler on the outside primarily and funny enough I thought Butler looked the better player.

Have not seen the game yet but I'm hearing that it looks like Grice will get in ahead of Oliver. And that Verrett got himself more involved, even made a stop on 3rd down.

Shocked at the addition of Lindley to the PS. Can only hope it is to help get us ready for MNF and then we can cut him loose. Even Sorensen is better. 1 spot left for grabs too, I'd like to see Wiggins get it.

Harris and Keiser are lost already. Harris to the Vikes and Keiser to the Cards. I still don't get what they see in Tourek Williams, both Keiser and Law looked to be better players. At least we got Law to the PS.

Expect either Grice or Oliver will be gone once we add an experienced D lineman. That PS spot might be waiting for one of them.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Shocked at the addition of Lindley to the PS. Can only hope it is to help get us ready for MNF and then we can cut him loose. Even Sorensen is better. 1 spot left for grabs too, I'd like to see Wiggins get it.

Harris and Keiser are lost already. Harris to the Vikes and Keiser to the Cards. I still don't get what they see in Tourek Williams, both Keiser and Law looked to be better players. At least we got Law to the PS.

Expect either Grice or Oliver will be gone once we add an experienced D lineman. That PS spot might be waiting for one of them.

I don't rate Lindley but Sorenson was really disappointing this preseason. I think you're right about him only being there for week 1.

Was sad to see Harris go, I loved his attitude even if his play was poor.

I think Williams is seen as the heir to jj in stuffing the run, I think he's worth keeping around. Glad keiser is gone, found it hard to cheer for him after the bar incident.

Surprised but glas Law made the PS.

I presume we'll sign someone on the DL, any idea who we'd be looking at?

Also worth noting that we keep our streak alive of signing one udfa, thank you Palepoi

I don't rate Lindley but Sorenson was really disappointing this preseason. I think you're right about him only being there for week 1.

Was sad to see Harris go, I loved his attitude even if his play was poor.

I think Williams is seen as the heir to jj in stuffing the run, I think he's worth keeping around. Glad keiser is gone, found it hard to cheer for him after the bar incident.

Surprised but glas Law made the PS.

I presume we'll sign someone on the DL, any idea who we'd be looking at?

Also worth noting that we keep our streak alive of signing one udfa, thank you Palepoi

& Davis and Oliver....

In terms of D linemen let go, we have to be looking at Vickerson (Broncos) and Sopoaga (Cards)....

Maybe also... Worthy (Pats). I'd have liked to have a look at the British lad Okoye but the 49ers have him on the PS now.

I see that dutch WR who featured lots on hard knocks was cut by the Falcons and did not make their PS.

Is 5-2 too optimistic for us to be at before we play the Donks?...I dont see us winning in Arizona and the Seahawks looked pretty strong last night. The other 5 are winnable but then again its the chargers. Any optimism out there at all???

Is 5-2 too optimistic for us to be at before we play the Donks?...I dont see us winning in Arizona and the Seahawks looked pretty strong last night. The other 5 are winnable but then again its the chargers. Any optimism out there at all???

Count me as one who is optimistic provided Liuget and Lissemore can stay upright (long shot). Our D line will kill us if we have to rely on the likes of Reyes and Carrethers/Andrews.

Can't wait to see Keenan Allen bring it esp against this much vaunted Az D backfield.

As for our chances, if Carson Palmer melts down like he can then we will win else it will be a v tough one. Seattle are certainly looking like the best team again so no doubt week 2 will be real tough but at least it's not in Seattle where I would give us no shot at all.

Can't wait for Tue nite when I will watch it delayed after having avoided hearing/seeing the score all day!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

He was the last in a long list of corners that the Ravens tried all summer. Some were cut, some got injury settlements and they signed Cox just as pre-season was ending

Cox won't be expected to play a whole lot. He is the #5 corner and can push to be #4

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Count me as one who is optimistic provided Liuget and Lissemore can stay upright (long shot). Our D line will kill us if we have to rely on the likes of Reyes and Carrethers/Andrews.

Can't wait to see Keenan Allen bring it esp against this much vaunted Az D backfield.

As for our chances, if Carson Palmer melts down like he can then we will win else it will be a v tough one. Seattle are certainly looking like the best team again so no doubt week 2 will be real tough but at least it's not in Seattle where I would give us no shot at all.

Can't wait for Tue nite when I will watch it delayed after having avoided hearing/seeing the score all day!.

same here..its getting harder and harder to avoid scores now with social media. Just gotta go old school and switch off the phone and stay off the net in work :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

If we want to make the playoffs this is a game we must make sure we win.

Surprised Butler ain't a captain this year, lost out to JJ.

Really looking forward to seeing Ingram this year.

I'm confident of winning on Monday, i think we should be a really well balanced team on offence and i think we'll get enough pressure to worry Palmer.
    But I'm always confident at this time of year so we could be hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Looks like Ellington is out for the Cardinals

To be honest i would have liked him to play, you never want guys to miss games with injuries and i'd also like to be playing their strongest team, it would be a good test for our defence early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

great a thread about the chargers, great chance to make the playoffs this year

Ellington is a big loss for the Cards no doubt about it. I hear Gates is dodgy too with a hamstring. I say rest him if there is any doubt, our O should be strong enough for the Cards D which is much weakened. Just have to find a way to get pressure on Palmer.. if we do we will win.

Btw was following a 142D greyish car in Goatstown, Dublin the other day and there was a small Charger bolt on the back (magnet like), might that be somebody on here?

Well the day has arrived at long last, better late than never I guess...

Much more confident now that Ellington is missing for the Cards. Whatever about him doing us damage Az will have to change up the game plan a bit now that they are missing such a weapon. Might b too late for them?, here's hoping anyway.

Keenan Allen....M80...Eddie Royal..Ryan Matthews..Danny Woodhead...Philip Rivers..Ladarius Green..Antonio Gates...WEAPONS WEAPONS WEAPONS!!!!....lets just go and blow them out...high scoring game..a shoot out...we win...34-27.

Didn't get to see the game but looked up the result and read a quick summary on the nfl site. Anyone know where I'd catch extended highlights

• Advertisement

Didn't get to see the game but looked up the result and read a quick summary on the nfl site. Anyone know where I'd catch extended highlights

Not sure about extended highlights (did u check setanta or eurosport, if u have them?). I recorded it on setanta and got up at 5 to watch it. Kinda wish I hadn't. We were awful.

The only good thing about last nights game was the play of Verrett and Attaochu. Verrett esp already looks like he belongs, looks like a super player and Attaochu came thru bigtime...

But my God did we shoot ourselves, I can remember 6 drops off the top of my head including 2 on the D by Weddle and Gilly. Gillys was especially bad, no wonder he does not play O.

D line is v poor save for Liuget. Ingram was awful, Freeney whiffed on 2 gimme sacks.

Onto Seattle... funny enough I think we can upset them, we cannot play as poorly again....

Oh and before I forget... Pags still has no clue... he rushed 3 (none of which was an OLB) when we had Cards on their own 5 yd line. And this was not the only time. Saw Ingram in pass coverage on at least 2 occasions. Complete waste of time.

I'll have to check the listings but hopefully there's highlights this evening.

Your report already has me annoyed with pagano, hard to believe wade philips is unemployed with him here

Just finished watching it condensed on gamepass. I really feel like smashing my screen and throwing it out the window. It was so typical of us.
    Frustrating as hell. I though the offense were terrible aside from Gates who gets a pass for keeping us in the game. I didnt think PR looked comfortable but then again the pass rush was getting to him as usual..same old same old.

The fine margins are killing us..dropped passes on big big plays...keenan allen on the tipped pass at the end..ok it was tipped but he had it in his chest!!!

I counted 4 times when we had our hands and I mean good strong hands on Palmer at crucial stages in the game and the defense let him squirm away..bring him down goddamit!!...And what was Teo doing for that TD in the corner..talk about ball watching.

I am so frustrated. My lunch is ruined. We had the win in our hands and blew it...the messed snap that took us out of FG range which would have won us the game...Oh lord!!!!!!

Just finished watching it condensed on gamepass. I really feel like smashing my screen and throwing it out the window. It was so typical of us.
    Frustrating as hell. I though the offense were terrible aside from Gates who gets a pass for keeping us in the game. I didnt think PR looked comfortable but then again the pass rush was getting to him as usual..same old same old.

The fine margins are killing us..dropped passes on big big plays...keenan allen on the tipped pass at the end..ok it was tipped but he had it in his chest!!!

I counted 4 times when we had our hands and I mean good strong hands on Palmer at crucial stages in the game and the defense let him squirm away..bring him down goddamit!!...And what was Teo doing for that TD in the corner..talk about ball watching.

I am so frustrated. My lunch is ruined. We had the win in our hands and blew it...the messed snap that took us out of FG range which would have won us the game...Oh lord!!!!!!

I hear ya D. I had forgotten the Te'o leaving the guy free in the EZ play!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

There was two guys in T'eos zone. Not his fault

Molly wrote: »
    There was two guys in T'eos zone. Not his fault

I'd disagree there. Watch it again. Its all on him.

So the "World Champions" are coming to town. I see nothing but pain and misery. Fair play to anyone who sees us getting a win. I just dont see it based on week 1.

This is the exact type of game the chargers usually win. They have no hope on paper but the chargers are so maddeningly inconsistent that I wouldn't be shocked to see them win, I do think it's unlikely.

On another note it was very sad to see Hardwick IR'd, has been a team leader foryears and someone who set a high standard. I don't expect to see him play again and I really hope he can live a healthy life with his family which is what he always said he wanted after football. I reckon he'll make a very good coach

Yeah I'm with OAOB. I don't give us a chance either D, but this is our Chargers and they can play amazingly well or like dog ****e....

What is the line at a matter of interest? I would have thought Seahawks -8 or something?

• Advertisement

This is the exact type of game the chargers usually win. They have no hope on paper but the chargers are so maddeningly inconsistent that I wouldn't be shocked to see them win, I do think it's unlikely.

On another note it was very sad to see Hardwick IR'd, has been a team leader foryears and someone who set a high standard. I don't expect to see him play again and I really hope he can live a healthy life with his family which is what he always said he wanted after football. I reckon he'll make a very good coach

Yeah awful for #61. He almost retired after 2012 season, came back for 2 more yrs ultimately but this will be the end of him and rightly so. Get himself back to 100% and enjoy his life/kids. He may well make a v good coach some day.

The line is only 5.5, more then likely less in Vegas.

Shocking about Hardwick was he expected a stinger every game in his neck.
    Crazy to think one of my favourite players is a centre.

Sounds like he has had consistent trouble with his neck for the last while, scary for anyone to have that nevermind someone who is taking so many hits every week.

Anyone read about jon Abraham, has taken a break from the game as he has been suffering from memory loss for the last year. He should never have been passed medically fit to play with that condition

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Shane.C

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Delighted with that result, offense looked really controlled and methodical. Gates was immense, that 3rd td catch was gorgeous. Allen won his match up with Sherman, Royal made some great yards after the catch. Rivers made some great runs to pick up yardage, absolutely love watching him and how competitive he is.

Mathews injury looked bad and if we lose him we are definitely going to be a lot more one dimensional.

The defence was fantastic last night with the exception of the drive at the end of the 1st half. Pagano kept blitzing and wilson was under constant pressure, was beautiful to see. They got a lot of bull**** calls against them last night. Getting Addae, Flowers and JJ back can only improve us. T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Yeah, I thought there were a lot of bs calls but probably the worst one was a pass interference against the sea hawks thy kept a stalled drive alive.

I thought that Matthew's was a liability again. Two fumbles is not good enough. Not always going to recover the fumbles...and turnovers lose games.just look at harvins.

• Advertisement

The most bs call by the refs was definitely Harvins td, how the hell was that not overturned?

Mathews fumbling was annoying but they weren't like his old fumbles where he would lose it in the trenches trying to do too much. Not sure how the first one came out but the second was careless byhim. He was running incredibly hard at the start of the 4th and I don't think we have anyone else who can do that for us

Great great win. Found it real hard to enjoy it as much as I should though. The officiating was a disgrace and almost ruined a magnificent day in Bolts history. One cannot say enough about how good a Charger Gates has been. Philip wearing 61 on his helmet, Keenan Allen beating Sherman, Conner and Mel causing fumbles, Woodhead being Woodhead, it was a joy to see.

Having said all that we were v fortunate to recover #24's fumbles... if he is hobbled for a while I'd like to see Grice brought up to the 53 (over Oliver) and be given a real shot at being the bell cow. While he wouldn't have Mathew's downhill power, he seems far more sure handed and he knows there the EZ is.

All in all we looked so much better than we did against the Cards.. if we can figure out how to cover a RB/scrambling QB out of the backfield we will be a good D. Flowers and JJ to come back in too.

Fantastic win, great all round display really.

The Harvin call was a joke but the intentional grounding by Wilson in the 4th, he was still inside the two tackles.

I thought the second fumble was on Rivers, that ball was no where near Mathews chest.

Gates really was fantastic, a healthy gates can carry us a long way. Ingram and Freeney make a huge difference too with the pass rush.

Their two tds where very well designed plays.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Fantastic win, great all round display really.

The Harvin call was a joke but the intentional grounding by Wilson in the 4th, he was still inside the two tackles.

I thought the second fumble was on Rivers, that ball was no where near Mathews chest.

Gates really was fantastic, a healthy gates can carry us a long way. Ingram and Freeney make a huge difference too with the pass rush.

Their two tds where very well designed plays.

I had forgotten about the intentional grounding thanks for reminding me!!. The officials were a disgrace yesterday. Even the hold on Phillips was ticky tack.

I saw a few tweets mention it but even before that I thought the crowd at the Q sounded brilliant yesterday, huge noise every time the seahawks offense were on the field and its even more impressive considering the heat

• Advertisement
Advertisement