Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

It was a great result. Gameballs to the offense as a whole and our pass rush.

I did think the Seahawks scored 21 points very easily though. We should have been out of sight and it should never have been even close going into the 4th quarter. The bogus Harvin TD aside the other TD's were carbon copies of each other and made Pagano look clueless and nearly undid all the great work Rivers and Gates were doing.

Thats the only negative with Ryan's injury I would take out of the game. So many positives. It was so enjoyable seeing all those converted 3rd downs.

Shutdown corner my arse!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The more times I look at the touch down at the end of the 1st half the more annoyed with Gilchrist I get. As the rb moves into space he doesn't even look at him, just stands in the same position, he reacts incredibly late

Yeah to be fair to Pagano...what can you do when a player does that. It was a pretty lame effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    The more times I look at the touch down at the end of the 1st half the more annoyed with Gilchrist I get. As the rb moves into space he doesn't even look at him, just stands in the same position, he reacts incredibly late

I must look at that again... we can't afford dodos. Did u see some of the whiffs on blocks by Troutman. Jaysus the sooner we get Watt in there the better.

Is there no Bills fan group on here?, would be good to chat with some Bills fans before Sunday. On paper I see us winning this but this is the NFL and any given Sunday etc. We make EJ beat us and we win. Hope the weather is ok i.e. no wind/rain.

I have a good mate down my way who is a Bills fan..been over for a game in Buffalo..has family there. I am debating on whether to let him come to my house to watch the game. I just dont trust our Chargers...I would hate to let him into my house, drink my beer and then leave with a victory!!

setanta74 wrote: »
    I have a good mate down my way who is a Bills fan..been over for a game in Buffalo..has family there. I am debating on whether to let him come to my house to watch the game. I just dont trust our Chargers...I would hate to let him into my house, drink my beer and then leave with a victory!!

Nice one D... tell him loser pays for the beer!!.

Ok I'll admit it, I am supremely confident this weekend. I think the bills being 2-0 and us inly 1-1 means it's an easy game for the coaches to get the players focused. I also don't think very highly of the bills, EJ is a good leader but I think as a QB he's inconsistent and limited. They have a great D-line but we're a playoff caliber team, win this by 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

After last week we all should be confident. Huge 5 games all very winnable before we meet denver. Be an absolute dream going into the denver game 6-1.

I reckon we will win too... but I thought we'd be 0 and 2 at this stage... so what do I know!?

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I will be attending in person :-)

Molly wrote: »

V cool... will u be part of a meet up beforehand etc? I know another guy traveling up from NYC for it. I can find out where he might be sat night, should be a good one.

Molly wrote: »

Make sure to get a few photos from the game and post them up

Been to a raiders game in Oakland, a giants game in the old giants stadium and a pats game in Gillette so pretty excited to actually see chargers in the flesh. Will get a bunch of pics, hopefully won't be sad faces in them!

Cool. Well done on emerging alive from the Pit in Oakland. Enjoy our game in Buffalo. Very jealous!!!

..oh and as for the Bills fan??..he text me to say he is going to some small shindig in Germany called Oktoberfest..never heard of it..screw him..my beer is better and more for me. Go Bolts!

Good win on the road against an average team. I don't believe Buffalo have much of a future with EJ at QB. Must be tough to go all out for your franchise QB of the future to end up with him. Just goes to show what a great pick (even if it was after trade) #17 was.

Devastating the injury to Woody. He is such a great player and so valuable to the O, he is a massive loss. It will be v interesting to see what TT does now. Do we bring Grice up or go get someone like LaMichael James?, what do we do about Super Mel?, bring Law up or go get another ringer?

There will be many changes in Chargerville next week. At least this Sunday is a bye (at home to Jax), even if I like Bortles alot.

Love how the secondary is playing. But hating the way Donald Butler is not playing, he does not seem to be trying too hard.

A good win yesterday if not a good performance. Tackling and finishing plays was awful again.
    We're dealing with a huge number of injuries, way more than at any stage last year so to be picking up wins is a big thing.
    D. Brown is honest and hard working but just doesn't seem to have much of a burst from him.
    Thought Butler was poor by his standards, he may be affected by not being voted a captain this year.
    Reggie walkers flexibility was very useful and was pleasantly surprised by him as I previously hadn't been a big fan.
    Gutted for woodhead, he offered us a huge Xfactor on offense. I like the idea of lamichael James on a 1 year deal if we could afford him.

Molly I hope you're voice is ruined from all your screaming and cheering yesterday

Good win. Got the job done essentially early 3rd quarter. Rivers the man again! Terrible news about Woodhead..a real blow. Liked the look of Flowers at CB. Nice to see M80 bring in some big plays.

Didnt like the way we took the foot off their throats. We basically cruised in for the last quarter and a bit. Would have liked to have seen us kill them off completely. Good job Manual wasn't up to the task.

Very happy to be at 2-1 (should have been 3-0 against an impressive Cards team at this stage)

• Advertisement

I think its actually good that we're not 3-0 from a media point of view, less attention on us is a good thing as far as I'm concerned

What is up with Manti. 3 foot injuries already he was playing well this year. Ranked in the top 10 MLB in that football focus thing American fans use as the Bible.

Great to see Luiget back to his best. One huge positive is we have a couple of games we should still win or at least be competitive before we meat Denver in a month, even with all the injuries. Getting them guys back at the perfect time.

Really getting hit hard by injuries at the moment but we've reasonable depth on the roster. Better to get them now than in December is the only positive.

Surprised to see Guy cut.

OAOB wrote: »
    Really getting hit hard by injuries at the moment but we've reasonable depth on the roster. Better to get them now than in December is the only positive.

Surprised to see Guy cut.

Yeah Guy was a bit of a surprise to me too. But he has been injured somewhat. Says alot about Palepoi another UDFA.

What do we think of Draughn?.. Will he go ahead of Oliver. Which of the 3 can do a Woodhead role if any?

What do we think of Draughn?.. Will he go ahead of Oliver. Which of the 3 can do a Woodhead role if any?

Ironically I reckon Donald Brown might be the closest we have to Woody but pales in comparison imho. I'd like to see 'Drone' (apparently thats how u say his name) get more work than Oliver to be honest. But I guess when he is in we are probably telegraphing run as he can't be up to speed on blocking assignment/blitz pick up this early.

I'm off to see the Fish beat the Raiduhs in Wembley so will be in the Green Man when we are smashing Jax. What is late Sky game this week?, that is the one that will be on the tellys there no doubt.

EDIT: just saw this from Acee - He can do some of the things Woodhead did, but not be that kind of playmaker. One thing that has to happen is Brown needs to be in on third down, so he can't be playing so much on first and second. (I'm of the same opinion)

• Advertisement

Disappointed to see this from Acee (if true);

Question - Bottom line....did the Chargers get caught with their pants down with Grice? Or did they basically let him walk?

Kevin Acee:
    Pants down. We know they reached out to him early Monday afternoon, but
    that it was too late. He was in Arizona taking physical already. That
    said, he also was miffed about Oliver making the roster over him. He
    also went to Arizona State. Lot of things working against the Chargers here.

I always thought he should have been on the 53 over Oliver, this really grinds my gears, watch him become a decent back in Az esp catching the ball.

This Acee chat yesterday is good, here's another tidbit;

Kevin Acee:
    He has looked the opposite of explosive. It's concerning. (on Donald Butler)

Again v much agree, Butler looks like a disaster apart from 1 play thus far.

Not sure how bad any of the prognosis are but we are getting a lot of injuries at the moment. It's amazing that we're picking up the wins considering how many starters are suffering. Credit to Telesco for roster depth

Ryan Mathews is going to get paid, run game is non existent.

Flowers hopefully gets signed up, he looks like everything we could of hope him to be.

A healthy Eddie Royal is a huge weapon.

Dline is starting to motor.

Need to keep picking up the wins before the Denver game.

Will watch it back later but have to say when I saw/read about us giving up the 2 easy TDs to Jax I was not happy. Seems like rivers is almost doing it on his own. Heard watt shared snaps with trout, who got the more?

Injuries sure are piling up thankfully the teams on the early part of the schedule are patsys.

• Advertisement

Offence looked awful running the ball, we need to stick with screen passes until mathews is back. Watt looked good when in but our centre legursky was awful, missed snap counts 2or3 times.
    Rivers and the wideouts were in really good sync but against one of the worst secondarys in the league that is expected.
    Defence looked off pace at the start but they wore the opposition down and were clearly dominant by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

is it the OL or the RB that is the problem with the rushing?

I know Brown isn't that explosive but I'm not sure the OL is that great in creating the holes tbh...

It's definitely a combination of the two. Dunlap has been good, rhinehart is not at the same level as last year, the centre has changed too often, we don't know who'll be playing each series at RG, fluker looks like he's carrying an injury and nowhere near as mobile as last year. You can see they're not playing as well as last year in pass blocking either.
    I'm amazed at how slow brown looks, no burst at all. He doesn't hit the line aggressive enough and can't get the edge. He has good hands and is smart so better off using screens like yesterday.
    One thought on the poor running yesterday is that maybe we were missing Johnson who's been pretty good as a blocking FB or blocking TE

So much of the running game hinges on the O line. In our case looks like we have 3 duds playing inside. I've like Rinehart but he was v poor Sunday. As for Legursky the less said the better but he is 3rd choice so what should we expect.

Having said that Oliver seems too keen to get to the line asap instead of waiting for the (if any) blocks to develop. This running into the back of one of our O linemen has to stop.

Heard Rivers talk about how the dump off passes are like runs anyway... let's continue to use them and spinkle in the very off real run here and there until Mathews gets back.

Letting the blocks develop is something Ryan has really got better at since being a rookie

We will just have to sit tight with our running backs, play good defence and let Rivers put numbers up

We got there in the end against Jax. I wouldnt be very happy with a lot of the play in the first half.

Good call about our RB's running into the backs of linemen there Leslie. It happens so often with us!...the botched snaps are another recurrent theme but even if they are 3rd stringers they are pro-footballers who should be able to manage that part of the game especially at home.

Great to see Rivers and his WR's hitting the mark so often and I am loving all these 3rd down conversions!!!...remember the last few years under Norv and 3rd downs!!!

Hopefully Ryan can get back on the field soon and we can head to the Denver game 5-1 or at least 4-2

We got there in the end against Jax. I wouldnt be very happy with a lot of the play in the first half.

Good call about our RB's running into the backs of linemen there Leslie. It happens so often with us!...the botched snaps are another recurrent theme but even if they are 3rd stringers they are pro-footballers who should be able to manage that part of the game especially at home.

Great to see Rivers and his WR's hitting the mark so often and I am loving all these 3rd down conversions!!!...remember the last few years under Norv and 3rd downs!!!

Hopefully Ryan can get back on the field soon and we can head to the Denver game 5-1 or at least 4-2

Even 6 & 1!. I fear we might lay an egg in one of the next 3 games but having said that having the (on paper) 2 more difficult opponents at home is a good thing. Hopefully the new HC bounce the Raiders get isn't too high. The Broncos game in Mile High will be a big test. Hopefully Ryan will be back as well as Attaochu, Wright and Verrett at 100%. I also want to see Watt starting at Guard sooner rather than later over Trout. I'm expecting Rinehart to up his game after that nitemare against Jax.

Our game is going to be blacked out sunday night as its on Sky. Anyway around this with Hola or anything?
    May have to just watch the 3 night games on redzone to catch most of the action or else avoid until Monday night. So annoying. Hate Sky.

Our game is going to be blacked out sunday night as its on Sky. Anyway around this with Hola or anything?
    May have to just watch the 3 night games on redzone to catch most of the action or else avoid until Monday night. So annoying. Hate Sky.

Haven't tried it for Gamepass D but apparently Hola is the way to go... I put it on my phone to get the Ryder Cup on BBC 5 Live and it worked.

That stiff arm by Brandon Oliver was quality

• Advertisement

Brandon Oliver is quality, everything he's doing today has impressed. Really stepped up when needed

I like the Sprolbert nickname BFTB just gave him

Haha, i don't read the game threads when i'm watching so I would have missed that. Quality nickname. It's true though. He's not as quick as Sproles. I reckon Sproles would have taken that long run to the house but he is much more physical.

Only started watching during the second half. See there is a lot of injuries :(. We look good though.

I never look at game threads either but i keep an eye on twitter as they give me more info on injuries and starters.

Fluker and Brown are injured today, Keenan and M80 have picked up small knocks but should be ok. JJ is playing with a bad ankle i think, hurt it forcing a fumble in the 1st half

I watch the game with Twitter, love the banter/debates on there...

Great great win. I know it was only 1 game but wow, BO has won me over. I so wanted Grice over he but glad that TT is in charge and not me. I heard the Sprolbert nickname alright. Suits him, he is much more powerful than Sproles maybe a bit less shifty. But he has gas, Sproles has never been an out and out speedster either. BO seems a v capable pass protector too saw him recognise blitzers early and often. Simply outstanding performance.

Kind of amazing really considering how banged up and poor parts of the O line are. Trout and Watt both had awful games, Legursky was doing fine but now it looks like he's gone for a while. We need to get Ohrnberger back and I reckon commit to Watt at RG. The shuffling and changing can't be doing his confidence any good. Either way we are going to need more beef on the O line now. I wonder might Watts make it to the 53.

Pagano is beginning to win me over but it sure helps to have the likes of Flowers, Freeney and Verrett. Having said that how bad are the Jets, they have literally nothing in the passing game. I'd hate to be a Jets fan right now. There cannot be any optimism. If Pagano gets a HC job at end of this season I'd like to see us bring in Rex over Allen.

31-0...say it again 31-0!!!!!.....best run defence in the league Rex? Pffttt...not anymore. I'm lovin' how this 2nd and 3rd stringers are stepping up. Amazing game by Oliver.

Never thought I'd see our D have a shutout...well done to Pagano..he gets enough abuse from me at times. You are right Damo...Flowers, Verrett and Freeney are playing great.

For me though Rivers is the man. What a leader. I just love this guy.

Lots of positives from last night but probably need to keep it in context given how bad the jets were. Thought their effort on defence dropped hugely in the third, combination of the score and tiredness.

Injuries are mounting very quickly but guys are stepping up all over the place which once more shows how well telesco has built the roster. Was impressed by ricardo mathews yesterday, high intensity and work rate, looks like a good rotation guy for us.

Have to say I'm a little bit worried about the Oakland game. It has all the hall marks of a classic Chargers fail just as we are going well. We are getting a lot of love in the media as well dammit!!!

I think the Orc's will get a decent bounce from having their new HC in place. Another factor is the game is in their place and its a major rival coming to town.

On paper we should blow them away but..............

Have to say I'm a little bit worried about the Oakland game. It has all the hall marks of a classic Chargers fail just as we are going well. We are getting a lot of love in the media as well dammit!!!

I think the Orc's will get a decent bounce from having their new HC in place. Another factor is the game is in their place and its a major rival coming to town.

On paper we should blow them away but..............

Yep but........ we got it out of our system last yr when they spanked us up there. I'm trusting that McCoy and the leaders on this team do not let that happen again.

They will get a new HC bounce and will be fired up but they simply don't have the players to compete with us. I say we win by more than 10.

• Advertisement

The media are starting to respect us, nfl.com have us now ranked no.1.
    I don't think we're seen as legit superbowl contenders, we still haven't beaten a good team apart from the Seahawks.
    I'm confident we won't collapse this year unless injuries get completely ridiculous. I think it's going to come down to us and Broncos to decide who is AFC no.1, no other team has shown much

Advertisement