Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I would imagine flowers will let the market establish his value and chargers will be given first refusal at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

The spending has begun, Jacoby Jones signed, hopefully this finally brings something to our return game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Apparently we're in for Suh, Cobb and Iupati. Not sure how we'll afford Suh without Rivers, Weddle and Gates restructuring and we still need to resign flowers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

Molly wrote: »
    Apparently we're in for Suh, Cobb and Iupati. Not sure how we'll afford Suh without Rivers, Weddle and Gates restructuring and we still need to resign flowers...

could be tight with cap??

Cobb would be good but too expensive, we have a lot of needs to fill.
    Wouldn't be a fan of chasing Suh or Iupati, both good players but not sure if they'd be worth the money they'll want.

Not sure how big a need a NT is, Carrethers is a big body for 1st and 2nd downs and I'd prefer lining up with pure pass rushers on 3rd.

We do need a replacement for Reyes, that would be Suh's position if signed but i think Lissemore is a decent prospect for a DE in our scheme.

• Advertisement

Flowers and Dunlap re-signed, great job by the Chargers FO and TT.

Needs are;
    • Guard (presuming Watt is our C)
    • RT (presuming Fluker is a G)
    • RB (I've always been a big Mathews fan but best for all involved to split)
    • no. 3 WR (Royal? I'm not sure)
    • NT (not a massive priority if Carrethers is healthy)
    • OLB x2 (Big hole on the roster, only Ingram, Attaochu, Williams and Law signed, not enough talent here)
    • ILB (Butler to reappear and Gachkar to be re-signed would fill this need)
    • SS (Addae is great but he's going to kill himself)
    • CB Depth

Lots of cap space to use still and in FA I like Franklin as better value for money option over Iupati. He'd also be LT cover which is badly needed. I really didn't like our Tackle depth last year
    An OLB would be good, a few options but i think the market hasn't been determined on these guys yet and i don't have a clue who TT would target

at thats great getting flowers signed up, biggest needs are olb and o line, could do with more at cb depth, think wr and rb could be drafted in, sounded like there keeping dj at rt so could do with rg and centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Word is a deal for Orlando Franklin to the Chargers is all but done and dusted.

I heard the Telesco interview about keeping Fluker at RT, he didn't say that was a guarantee but they said they were happy with him there which I'd agree with.
    Reading a few of Kyle Poseys articles he thinks Fluker transfers into a pro bowl guard so I think our priority should be to draft/sign a RT and move Fluker but until you have an upgrade on the roster you don't mention to the media that he's switching position.
    It'd be pretty strange if Telesco drafted a RT in the first round in 2 of his first 3 drafts

Word is a deal for Orlando Franklin to the Chargers is all but done and dusted.

Why don't the Broncos seem interested in keeping him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A Broncos fan brought that up a few weeks ago and expected Franklin to leave. Kubiak runs a zone blocking scheme which requires lineman to be quick and agile. Franklin is 6' 7", 320lbs and nobody would describe him as a quick lineman

It's just scheme fit, he'll play well on many teams but just not in a Kubiak offense

We run a ZBS but our line is going to be HUGE if we sign Franklin.
    Watt would definitely be the little guy of the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Some great work early by TT if we get King, Flowers and Franklin. Not sure I agree with it but some are saying Franklin is a better player than Vasquez who of course went the opposite direction a couple of years ago. I guess it means Franklin won't come cheap. I agree re Iupati. I'd even (god forbid) live with Trout at LG where he played all his college ball if we had to. But would be great to get a Bitonio type in the draft i.e. a college tackle who turns into a great NFL guard.

Jones brings immediate impact to a return game that is/has been the worst in the NFL. If we can get Donald Brown off special teams then maybe a player will get a chance to return one out of the EZ one of these days.

can someone fill me in on king and franklin, i know franklin is/was a bronco, will his style fit in with ours?

tripperman wrote: »
    can someone fill me in on king and franklin, i know franklin is/was a bronco, will his style fit in with ours?

According to mike above he was too slow a lineman for denvers zone blocking but I reckon he can't be any worse than what we had at G. With fluker our line will never be built on speed
    The quality of the signing will depend a lot on the money spent, anyone got any figures yet?

OAOB wrote: »
    According to mike above he was too slow a lineman for denvers zone blocking but I reckon he can't be any worse than what we had at G. With fluker our line will never be built on speed
    The quality of the signing will depend a lot on the money spent, anyone got any figures yet?

Franklin is a good lineman - strong and has a nasty streak. His has heavy feet for the ZBS but is ideal for a power blocking scheme (the original reason he was drafted because McCoy ran a power scheme in Denver).

However, I do think $21million in guaranteed money is a heafty whack against the cap. Franklin will be very good in SD but I do think they overpaid.

OAOB wrote: »

Vasquez was 4 years 23 million w/ 13 GT

Franklin 5 yrs 36 W/ 20 GT

I think we overpaid too if above is correct.

I thought guaranteed money doesn't count against the cap? Could be totally wrong but always thought that?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I thought guaranteed money doesn't count against the cap? Could be totally wrong but always thought that?

I thought the GM gets spread across contract duration no?, so if duration is 5 yrs and 20m GM, then 4m per against cap, but I am not capologist like Ed McGuire.

I'm not sure how the cap space works either.

Sounds like we're over paying for Franklin but I think the fact that he could play at LT if we ever needed him too makes him very valuable to us.

Wonder are the Chargers interested in Wisniewski from the Raiders, if you sign him we would have our starting oline

• Advertisement

Have resigned Robinson the center as well. Not sure Wiz would be a good idea. The only 'big' moves i'd like to see happen are (these are not in a prioritized order)

1) Orakpo on a prove it deal
    2) Matthews on a prove it deal
    3) Bulaga (Dunlap/Franklin/Watt/Fluker/Bulaga O-Line!)
    4) Restructure/extend Rivers, Weddle, Gates and Liuget.
    5) The Gach
    6) Wright or Gilchrist

Have resigned Robinson the center as well. Not sure Wiz would be a good idea. The only 'big' moves i'd like to see happen are (these are not in a prioritized order)

5) The Gach
    6) Wright or Gilchrist

Heard this morning that the Gach may be on his way out. Always liked him, a real effort guy, would be good to keep around. I'd say there is zero chance Wright will be back, Gilly maybe. I would not miss either of them though.

Orakpo is intriguing.

Need to extend Liuget.

That is disappointing about gach

5) The Gach
    6) Wright or Gilchrist

Didn't realise we'd resigned Robinson, thought he played well during the few chances he got. Would love if he was a viable starting option.

Doubt we could get Orakpo on a deal, he already said he wants redskins or cowboys. Don't think another injury prone OLB is a good idea for us either.

I'd love Mathews back but I'd only do it if we were cutting Brown. Draft is deep at RB and we need to grab one but we won't carry 5 on our roster.

I initially really wanted Bulaga but now I'm leaning towards drafting a T that can be groomed into our starting LT eventually.

I wouldn't resign Gates until we've seen how he is this year, guy has a lot of miles on the clock. Is Green every going to get a chance?

Definitely resign Gach, he is more than just ST now

Not a big fan of either but our depth is too light without one or other. I'd lean towards Wright

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I thought the GM gets spread across contract duration no?, so if duration is 5 yrs and 20m GM, then 4m per against cap, but I am not capologist like Ed McGuire.

No - the signing bonus gets spread over the years of the contract -

e.g.

Franklin get $5milion signing bonus

Year 1, 2, 3 - $5million each year

Year 4, 5 - $8 million each year

The signing bonus and year 1, 2, 3 are guaranteed

Cap hit

Year 1 - $6million
    Year 2 - $6million
    Year 3 - $6million
    Year 4 - $9million
    Year 5 - $9million

If Franklin was cut after 3 years the signing bonus would bee accelerate into Year 4 and the cap hit would be $2million in dead money.

If Franklin was cut after 2 years the guaranteed money would kick in and the year 3 cap hit would be $9million in dead money.

Hope this explains it.

Rinehart gone.

Anyone know what our cap number is at currently?

we resigned de matthews dont know the figures, but imo its a good job keeping him proved very effective when he played

Yeah that's good depth. Eddie Royal gone to the Bears

• Advertisement

Yeah that's good depth. Eddie Royal gone to the Bears

The Eddie Royal to the Bears thing was all over Twitter. Apparently he is in Chicago but no deal yet. Although word is he is as good as gone.

im in two minds about royal to be honest, think we can get better wr then him but then i think he could improve, we need a wr that get open for rivers didnt happen enough last year, think matthews is only a year deal

im in two minds about royal to be honest, think we can get better wr then him but then i think he could improve, we need a wr that get open for rivers didnt happen enough last year, think matthews is only a year deal

You mean u think Mathews will only get a 1 yr deal from Chargers laden with incentives?

All I heard yesterday about him was that he had removed all reference to the Bolts from his Twitter. Sounded to me like he was checking OUT of SD.

The 1 yr prove it or lose it deal would make sense to SD.

You mean u think Mathews will only get a 1 yr deal from Chargers laden with incentives?

All I heard yesterday about him was that he had removed all reference to the Bolts from his Twitter. Sounded to me like he was checking OUT of SD.

The 1 yr prove it or lose it deal would make sense to SD.

sorry thats matthews the de i was talking about that signed just before last season, i think ryan matthews is gone

sorry thats matthews the de i was talking about that signed just before last season, i think ryan matthews is gone

Yep that's right just a 1 yr for Ricardo Mathews, who played well last yr imho. Better than Reyes for example.

Yep that's right just a 1 yr for Ricardo Mathews, who played well last yr imho. Better than Reyes for example.

i agree he did play better then reyes last year, i still watch the strip sack of kap for liguet td

• Advertisement

Delighted that we resigned Ricardo, seemed a very high intensity guy which I like.

Royal is tricky to evaluate, seems good with the ball in hand but can't seem to get open. I think he's probably an easy player for DCs to plan for

Jimmy Wilson S/nickel corner from Dolphins coming in for a look-see. Seems small to me to be a SS.

One thing I took from TT press conference is he gave who the starting guards where but not the slot receiver. Definitely work to be done at wide out.

Reported we threw a load of money at Andre Johnston. Wonder would Bowe be cheap?

Ryan gone at last... mad to think they have him and Murray now. I spose Ryan will be injured so often good to have another back. And Eddie gone now also for silly money imho. I am meh on Bowe.

I really hope Ryan can explode in Philly, he got bad luck here and was stuck behind some terrible Olines. He always ran hard for us and doesn't owe SD anything imo

• Advertisement

Exactly, more then 1 in 4 he was hit in the backfield.

He was quite cheap, cheaper then his rookie deal.

Need a healthy running back in this league, I don't want Peterson, so looks like we be hitting the draft.

The hits in the backfield are a nightmare, solidify the Oline and a 3rd or 4th round RB will be ok.
    I'm assigning 1st round to Oline and 2nd to OLB at the moment

Ryan Mathews has some talent... but it's not like he is a great back even when 100%. He could never break the big one, seemed to go down rather easy at the second level for me. I can see why he has moved on from both sides. I do hope he can get a break when it comes to the injuries but I can't say I'll be delighted to see him rush for 1800yds for the Eagles and not us. Having said that them bringing in Murray too is puzzling. I spose both their injury histories might mean they ham and egg it there. We'll wait and see.

In terms of what more we need to do now in FA, we need a WR, I'd give Stills a long look and I wonder how much Rivers might be able to bring on Bowe.

Ryan Mathews has some talent... but it's not like he is a great back even when 100%. He could never break the big one, seemed to go down rather easy at the second level for me. I can see why he has moved on from both sides. I do hope he can get a break when it comes to the injuries but I can't say I'll be delighted to see him rush for 1800yds for the Eagles and not us. Having said that them bringing in Murray too is puzzling. I spose both their injury histories might mean they ham and egg it there. We'll wait and see.

In terms of what more we need to do now in FA, we need a WR, I'd give Stills a long look and I wonder how much Rivers might be able to bring on Bowe.

saints kenny Stills???

saints kenny Stills???

Yep. Apparently Saints are up **** creek capwise and are looking to offload lads. But the odd thing here is that Stills is cheap and v v young.

Gehlken said the Chargers are after a WR right now could be Stills, Bowe, Crabtree or maybe even Reggie freakin Wayne.

Yep. Apparently Saints are up **** creek capwise and are looking to offload lads. But the odd thing here is that Stills is cheap and v v young.

Gehlken said the Chargers are after a WR right now could be Stills, Bowe, Crabtree or maybe even Reggie freakin Wayne.

Current WRs are Allen, Floyd, Inman, Jones and Pettis. Definitely an area for improvement. I don't expect much from Pettis tbh, lucky to make the 53

I know very little about Stills, anyone fill me in
    I don't think Crabtree is worth the money that he thinks he is
    Wayne and Bowe are over the hill, invest in younger

What do you guys think of Percy Harvin? I'd be interested in him on a 1 year 5or6m deal

if the price was right i would trade for Stills hes a big improvement on whats there and can get better, dont think crabtree is worth the money, harvin might just be to much hassel and he seems pats bound

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1750575-what-should-fans-expect-from-kenny-stills-after-monster-preseason-performance

Stills left school real early hence why he is SO young. Quick player can stretch the field but not as tall as Rivers is used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

any opinions on Marcus Gilchrist here, think he's fairly close to signing with the Jets

phatkev wrote: »
    any opinions on Marcus Gilchrist here, think he's fairly close to signing with the Jets

Good guy but just not good enough a player for me. Not much of a loss in my opinion. Hands of stone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement