Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

setanta74 wrote: »
    Soundings coming from San Diego and the NFL not good. Looks like we may not be in San Diego much longer. San Diego is a big part of the reason I follow the chargers. Don't know if I would have the stomach for the LA Chargers..maybe I would..just dunno.

Me too D. I've ignored all the BS around the move to be honest though. I'll cross that bridge when we get there. Funny enough I've been so apathetic about the team with this ownership/GM/HC ticket it might not be a bad thing!.

How cool would it be were Spanos et al to F off and Davis sold the Raiders and they came to SD. I'd be supporting that new team in SD no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I don't want the team to move and i question whether i'd still support them if they did. Teams moving is such an alien concept to European models that it's hard to contemplate.
    If the Raiders went to SD i don't think it'd work, SD wouldn't work for the black hole psyche
    I think I'd support the LA Chargers but more so out of loyalty to the players like Rivers and Gates. Reality is i wouldn't know who else to support but the Chargers

Meant to say how typically cowardly of the organisation to fire the ST coach instead of the OC or DC. Easy scapegoat when everyone is equally guilty

OAOB wrote: »
    Meant to say how typically cowardly of the organisation to fire the ST coach instead of the OC or DC. Easy scapegoat when everyone is equally guilty

Yeah and the gas thing is he might have been let go sooner only he was having some personal difficulties a few weeks back.

He is only the first though please God. At season end here's hoping McCoy Reich and Pagano are gone immediately, as well as pretty much the whole staff. Telesco is going to get 1 more chance on a coaching hire.

Telesco has to fire everyone to save himself.

Amazing to read that Reich is one of the hottest HC candidates, do reporters not watch the Chargers

• Advertisement

Telesco has to fire everyone to save himself.

Amazing to read that Reich is one of the hottest HC candidates, do reporters not watch the Chargers

I see Reich has decided not to proceed with that HC job in Maryland. The funny thing is he might be a decent HC. What is required of a HC versus a coordinator means many can be ****e at one and good at the other. Being a HC is much more about being a motivator and disciplinarian, as well as being a good judge of talent in coaches and players.

A coordinator just needs to have his group organised and put in the best position to succeed along with a bit of motivation and strategy (in terms of opponent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

That was interesting yesterday, seems TT got a contract extension last summer and wasn't made known to anyone till yesterday, for the game oline was pure s##t I actually was scared for rivers, and they created one hole all night for Gordon and these injuries just don't seem to stop coming,
    what really annoyed me last night watching the game was the penalties or lack of on the Broncos, the hit on Inman that sent him out on a stretcher, surely that was a flag? And there was a face mask grab on rivers late on and the Williams pass interference call was wrong imo, the wr started the whole thing and the sack by Ingram was a good play I don't think he hit the helmet area, and if that was a penalty surely inmans was a penalty to

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

I have to admit I only watched the first half last night, switched off and went to bed as I'd had enough by that stage. Wasn't expecting much given the fact that at the rate the injuries keep on coming we'll be picking people out of the crowd to line up as slot receivers before long, it was still bloody horrible to watch though. Perryman, Herndon, Robinson & Ingram at least showed a bit of fight.. Weddle dropping that cast iron INT catch was symptomatic of our season, even when we do things right we get it wrong. Bench rivers for his own protection, tank for the rest of this god awful season and get working on the draft right now, make telesco earn the money he's (hardly deservedly) gotten

tripperman wrote: »
    That was interesting yesterday, seems TT got a contract extension last summer and wasn't made known to anyone till yesterday, for the game oline was pure s##t I actually was scared for rivers, and they created one hole all night for Gordon and these injuries just don't seem to stop coming,
    what really annoyed me last night watching the game was the penalties or lack of on the Broncos, the hit on Inman that sent him out on a stretcher, surely that was a flag? And there was a face mask grab on rivers late on and the Williams pass interference call was wrong imo, the wr started the whole thing and the sack by Ingram was a good play I don't think he hit the helmet area, and if that was a penalty surely inmans was a penalty to

I cannot believe how little of a sh1t I give watching this team now. I am so over the ownership, the coaching, so many of the players I just live in hope that it is all blown to smithereens.

I see some are now even suggesting F the Charger and F the Spanos family. Let them F off to LA and SD should concentrate on getting another franchise in here eg. the Raiders. While I am not advocating the Raiders and SD ever getting another NFL team is a longshot anyway this is becoming a more plausible approach by the day.

I've given this trainwreck of an organisation 30 yrs of following and am at a stage now where I don't give a F. I will remember Seau, I will remember LT, I will remember Rivers, I will remember how brilliant a city SD is, I will remember the pregame tailgating but after that meh.

I was kinda surprised at hearing that TT got his extension before the season but only in the manner that it came out, not that he got it. The really scary thing is that they may be content with letting McCoward coach next year too. If that happens and they are gone I will not be tuning in to watch simple as that.

carmanard wrote: »
    I have to admit I only watched the first half last night, switched off and went to bed as I'd had enough by that stage. Wasn't expecting much given the fact that at the rate the injuries keep on coming we'll be picking people out of the crowd to line up as slot receivers before long, it was still bloody horrible to watch though. Perryman, Herndon, Robinson & Ingram at least showed a bit of fight.. Weddle dropping that cast iron INT catch was symptomatic of our season, even when we do things right we get it wrong. Bench rivers for his own protection, tank for the rest of this god awful season and get working on the draft right now, make telesco earn the money he's (hardly deservedly) gotten

I moved to redzone in the 4th quarter. First time I've ever left the live coverage of a Charger game.

Not even gonna comment on the players.... massive clear out of coaching and players required until that is done meh.

• Advertisement

That was a boring game, i'd feel sorry for any Chargers fan paying to see that incompetence. Players have given up and i can't blame them. If they stick with the same coaches for next year then they deserve to be doomed to the same faith as Cleveland and suck for eternity.

Watching Rivers showing his disgust at the **** play calling says it all. As bad as Norv was the players respected him and put in an effort.

I trust we'll hide behind the injuries and say that's why we sucked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Part of the reason why the Chargers are planning to move is because San Diego fans are so fickle.

The game last night was like a home game for the Broncos - some estimates suggest that 45% of the attendance were Broncos fans. This is a regular occurrence and is the norm when the Broncos visit San Diego.

No matter who you have on the roster and who is coaching the team it is well nigh impossible to have a successful team if the home fans cannot create an atmosphere to help the team and make it intimidating for the visitors.

From the start last night the Broncos fans made the running and by the time Trevathan rumbled in with his INT the Chargers fans were on the backs of their team.

Can see your point jolly it was not and hasn't Been an intimidating place for away teams to come to in a few years, I don't think L.A. would be any different tho,

Feel your pain Leslie as does every charger fan, I'm only coming up on ten years a bolt, so I haven't experienced the highs and lows that you have since you started following them, I can't and won't tell you who to follow if the bolts do leave SD, i know ill stay loyal to the players and follow the chargers and hope for the best as i do ever season, I have no time for the spanos family or the coaching staff, could never figure out why they chose not to interview Bruce arians for the job he was looking for it and made it known threw the media at the time, as for the reports McCoy could stay and his coordinators all be changed for next season, that's total and uter bu#####T he is the problem with his attitude just look at how he handled the weddle situation last summer, and I laughed when I read last week that weddle has taking the communication set from Donald butler again this year after the bye week, shows they can't even get that right that they still made that mistake two years in a row

To be honest Jolly i don't think the fans even come into the owners thought process at any time. I'd agree that the fans have been shown to be fickle but the organisation has created such a **** environment for them that the relationship is completely toxic.
    If we look at this week the team announced that they extended the GM contract in August. Why didn't they think the fans deserved to be told at the time???? Blatant disregard and disrespect from them. I honestly think the Chargers have the worst owners in the league and they've created a culture to match.

With regard to the number of opposition fans in the stadium, everyone circles the SD games as the away game to go to, beautiful city and weather.

To be honest Jolly i don't think the fans even come into the owners thought process at any time. I'd agree that the fans have been shown to be fickle but the organisation has created such a **** environment for them that the relationship is completely toxic.
    If we look at this week the team announced that they extended the GM contract in August. Why didn't they think the fans deserved to be told at the time???? Blatant disregard and disrespect from them. I honestly think the Chargers have the worst owners in the league and they've created a culture to match.

With regard to the number of opposition fans in the stadium, everyone circles the SD games as the away game to go to, beautiful city and weather.

I concur OAOB, we do have if not the worst ownership in the league they are in the top 3. The fact that (1) they are trying to weasle their way off to LA and (2) that this GM/HC combo has been a pile of ****e is a big part of the reason why the fans are not going to the games.

And you are 100% right away fans see SD as one of if not the best place to go for an away trip. Great weather, hot birds and pretty much a guaranteed win now. I would not blame them. And I am not blaming the Chargers season ticket holders for selling their tickets to the tourists.

F the Spanos family.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I concur OAOB, we do have if not the worst ownership in the league they are in the top 3. The fact that (1) they are trying to weasle their way off to LA and (2) that this GM/HC combo has been a pile of ****e is a big part of the reason why the fans are not going to the games.

And you are 100% right away fans see SD as one of if not the best place to go for an away trip. Great weather, hot birds and pretty much a guaranteed win now. I would not blame them. And I am not blaming the Chargers season ticket holders for selling their tickets to the tourists.

F the Spanos family.
    The Denver Broncos have sold out every single home game since 1970 - hail, rain, snow, storm or barmy sunshine - winning or losing - it doesn't make any difference - Broncos fans go to games and they do everything in their power to help the team on the field.

In SD - Chargers fans don't go to games (unless the Chargers are on a winning streak) and when they do they turn on the team as soon as a pass goes sideways.

So what if the GM / HC are not up to the job - Denver had the McD debacle and still packed the stadium to support the team.

The question that should be asked is not why away fans travel to SD - it is why there are any tickets for away fans to get into the stadium?

Just look at the Orange from Sunday (I actually giggled at the comment from one Chargers fan who said that the team were preparing for playing away from home when they get to the play-offs).

qzqN3Qc.jpg

The Denver Broncos have sold out every single home game since 1970 - hail, rain, snow, storm or barmy sunshine - winning or losing - it doesn't make any difference - Broncos fans go to games and they do everything in their power to help the team on the field.

In SD - Chargers fans don't go to games (unless the Chargers are on a winning streak) and when they do they turn on the team as soon as a pass goes sideways.

So what if the GM / HC are not up to the job - Denver had the McD debacle and still packed the stadium to support the team.

The question that should be asked is not why away fans travel to SD - it is why there are any tickets for away fans to get into the stadium?

Just look at the Orange from Sunday (I actually giggled at the comment from one Chargers fan who said that the team were preparing for playing away from home when they get to the play-offs).

Well a quick google shows that your attendances were down during McD era (every team and every sport have fair weather fans, it's inevitable). But i'd choose to use that as a perfect example of the difference between the 2 franchises, McDaniels failed and you fired him and did it mid season. McCoy has lead a steady regression in this team but if you believe all reports he'll still be in charge next season. They don't strive to be best, they promote mediocrity

From my understanding of it there is quite a low percentage of people in San Diego who are from there so maybe they just don't have the same loyalty that develops from growing up with the team.

I do agree it's **** of fans to sell their tickets to opposition fans but in the climate i understand it. The team will be in LA with less supporters next year so wouldn't expect to see any change in fortune soon

Well a quick google shows that your attendances were down during McD era (every team and every sport have fair weather fans, it's inevitable). But i'd choose to use that as a perfect example of the difference between the 2 franchises, McDaniels failed and you fired him and did it mid season. McCoy has lead a steady regression in this team but if you believe all reports he'll still be in charge next season. They don't strive to be best, they promote mediocrity

From my understanding of it there is quite a low percentage of people in San Diego who are from there so maybe they just don't have the same loyalty that develops from growing up with the team.

I do agree it's **** of fans to sell their tickets to opposition fans but in the climate i understand it. The team will be in LA with less supporters next year so wouldn't expect to see any change in fortune soon

1 more thing I'd add to this... what else is there to do in Denver. On a sunny sunday afternoon in SD there are so many other things to be doing with yourself!!.

Well a quick google shows that your attendances were down during McD era (every team and every sport have fair weather fans, it's inevitable).
    Broncos
    2006 - 610,776
    2007 - 612,888
    2008 - 604,074
    2009 - 600,928
    2010 - 599,264
    2011 - 602,618
    2012 - 613,062
    2013 - 614,977
    2014 - 615.517

McDaniels was HC in 2009-2010 - the drop was 3,000 in 2009 and another 1,000 or so in 2010 - over the entire season - a drop of 375 per game (out of 75,000) in 2009 and another 120 in 2010. in 2011 the attendance went up by 300 per game. Barely noticeable.

Along with that - the Broncos have a waiting list of 63,000 for season tickets.
    Clearly there is little or no loyalty to the team in SD.

Teams have bounced in and out of LA for decades - the NFL want a team in LA because of the size of the 'market'. The whole idea of the 'franchise' being able to move anywhere has nothing to do with loyalty and everything to do with money.

1 more thing I'd add to this... what else is there to do in Denver. On a sunny sunday afternoon in SD there are so many other things to be doing with yourself!!.

You are either a football fan or you are not - Denver has football fans (as does many other places) - SD has, well, people who do other stuff.

• Advertisement

I was making the point that Bronco's weren't selling out when they were doing ****, just like the Chargers aren't selling out now. You can coat it any way you like but the nature of sports is fans turn out in bigger numbers when they're winning. Where were the 63,000 people on the waiting list when there were tickets available in 09 and 10?
    The poor number of charger fans at games is just a sign of an organisation in trouble and with a small fan base at best of times it looks worse. There's also a huge amount of anger at the organisation for turning it's back on the city so hard to be loyal and stand by a team when they're abandoning you

I was making the point that Bronco's weren't selling out when they were doing ****, just like the Chargers aren't selling out now. You can coat it any way you like but the nature of sports is fans turn out in bigger numbers when they're winning. Where were the 63,000 people on the waiting list when there were tickets available in 09 and 10?

Every single game the Broncos have played since 1970 (with the exception of 'replacement games') has been completely sold out. The Broncos have one of the longest waiting lists for season tickets and one of the longest waiting times for season tickets in the NFL. It was no different in 2009 and 2010 - there was the usual waiting list and a 96% renewal rate among season ticket holders. The Broncos sell the maximum number of season tickets permitted by the NFL.

The Broncos do sell single game day tickets for every game that are sold out within hours and bought by Broncos fans - the only single game day tickets that Broncos have difficulty selling are a small number of the high priced club seats. The Broncos actually sell 700 tickets more than capacity because of demand - the Chargers rarely get to capacity, average attendance is more than 5,000 unde capacity and they sell this number because so many away fans attend. This year the Chargers sold 54,000 season tickets - but a very large number of these are resold on the secondary market.

The Broncos also set attendance records for training camp with crowds of 5,000 regularly turning up to Dove Valley.

Every single game the Broncos have played since 1970 (with the exception of 'replacement games') has been completely sold out. The Broncos have one of the longest waiting lists for season tickets and one of the longest waiting times for season tickets in the NFL. It was no different in 2009 and 2010 - there was the usual waiting list and a 96% renewal rate among season ticket holders. The Broncos sell the maximum number of season tickets permitted by the NFL.

The Broncos do sell single game day tickets for every game that are sold out within hours and bought by Broncos fans - the only single game day tickets that Broncos have difficulty selling are a small number of the high priced club seats. The Broncos actually sell 700 tickets more than capacity because of demand - the Chargers rarely get to capacity, average attendance is more than 5,000 unde capacity and they sell this number because so many away fans attend. This year the Chargers sold 54,000 season tickets - but a very large number of these are resold on the secondary market.

The Broncos also set attendance records for training camp with crowds of 5,000 regularly turning up to Dove Valley.

Ticket sales are one thing but in the bad times the stadium still wasn't full, Broncos fans didn't turn out in as big numbers when they were struggling, same as the Chargers situation now. Broncos might have more loyal fans but don't kid yourself in thinking that they have as many people interested in attending games when they are doing ****.

I know the Chargers (and a lot of NFL teams) have arrangements with large organisations to buy up excess tickets if it isn't sold out and these are distributed to local kids. I'd hazard a guess that the Chargers are under capacity by a lot more than 5,000 at most of their home games.

Question for you, why do you think Denver fans are so loyal compared to Charger fans? Do they just grow up as Broncos fans or is there something the organisation does to enhance it? From what i can see all Charger fans love the team but hate the organisation.

Vincent Brown is coming back?? Didn't see that one coming I must say.. May as well give LT a ring too, see if he fancies his chances of gaining more than two yards per carry behind that flaming garbage dump of an O line we're rocking

carmanard wrote: »
    Vincent Brown is coming back?? Didn't see that one coming I must say.. May as well give LT a ring too, see if he fancies his chances of gaining more than two yards per carry behind that flaming garbage dump of an O line we're rocking

Yeah I was surprised too. And even more surprised when I heard Danario Alexander who is (for now) fit worked out for the Bears. Even if were to last only half a game or a game he is a far superior option over little Vincent I'd have thought. Vincent Brown is too slow and cannot get open, maybe that is why he has been brought in!, he fits into our current receiving corps perfectly.

Ticket sales are one thing but in the bad times the stadium still wasn't full, Broncos fans didn't turn out in as big numbers when they were struggling, same as the Chargers situation now. Broncos might have more loyal fans but don't kid yourself in thinking that they have as many people interested in attending games when they are doing ****.
    Since - 1970 not only has every home game been sold-out - the stadium has been full for practically every game since. The Broncos do not bulk sell any tickets - they do sell a set number of half-price single game tickets to Denver residents on low incomes. The Broncos issue 'no-show' numbers at half-time during every game. The numbers a rarely go over 1,000 - the average NFL no-show is over 5,000. The Broncos no-shows for the last two games in the Shanahan era were close to 5,000 as the Broncos blew a 3 game lead in the division to the Chargers.

The only time the in the last 45 years when the Broncos didn't announce the no-shows was the last game before McDaniels was sacked - the figure estimated was 8,000 and it was because of an organised boycott by Broncos fans. The first game in Denver after the sacking had less than 500 no-shows despite being 3-11 and on a five game losing streak.

The Broncos have the fourth highest capacity in the NFL and have the smallest number of no-shows outside of the Packers, 49ers and Colts.
    Question for you, why do you think Denver fans are so loyal compared to Charger fans? Do they just grow up as Broncos fans or is there something the organisation does to enhance it? From what i can see all Charger fans love the team but hate the organisation.
    I don't know the answers to this - the one thing I will say is that if you 'love the team' you go to games and support the team, no matter what the organisation is like.

Since - 1970 not only has every home game been sold-out - the stadium has been full for practically every game since. The Broncos do not bulk sell any tickets - they do sell a set number of half-price single game tickets to Denver residents on low incomes. The Broncos issue 'no-show' numbers at half-time during every game. The numbers a rarely go over 1,000 - the average NFL no-show is over 5,000. The Broncos no-shows for the last two games in the Shanahan era were close to 5,000 as the Broncos blew a 3 game lead in the division to the Chargers.

The only time the in the last 45 years when the Broncos didn't announce the no-shows was the last game before McDaniels was sacked - the figure estimated was 8,000 and it was because of an organised boycott by Broncos fans. The first game in Denver after the sacking had less than 500 no-shows despite being 3-11 and on a five game losing streak.

The Broncos have the fourth highest capacity in the NFL and have the smallest number of no-shows outside of the Packers, 49ers and Colts.

I don't know the answers to this - the one thing I will say is that if you 'love the team' you go to games and support the team, no matter what the organisation is like.

Well like i say the numbers show there wasn't the same demand when they were doing ****. Just to be clear i'm not having a go at Bronco supporters but just pointing out that support does drop off. The level of drop off for the Chargers is astronomical.

I reckon if the Broncos started talking about leaving Denver you'd see a similar response from their fanbase

Yeah I was surprised too. And even more surprised when I heard Danario Alexander who is (for now) fit worked out for the Bears. Even if were to last only half a game or a game he is a far superior option over little Vincent I'd have thought. Vincent Brown is too slow and cannot get open, maybe that is why he has been brought in!, he fits into our current receiving corps perfectly.

I'd love for us to re-sign DX. Philip and him just clicked so if he was any way healthy he'd be a benefit. Even if he broke down again I'd be happy to just give the guy a pay check, he always played hard for us and instead we bring back a WR who already proved he offers nothing

Well like i say the numbers show there wasn't the same demand when they were doing ****. Just to be clear i'm not having a go at Bronco supporters but just pointing out that support does drop off. The level of drop off for the Chargers is astronomical.
    The point you are avoiding is that it was one game with McDaniels as a result of an organised boycott by Broncos fans. The following home game after McDaniels was sacked there was a full-house despite the fact that the season had gone down the toilet - the fans were there for the team.
    I reckon if the Broncos started talking about leaving Denver you'd see a similar response from their fanbase
    For as long as I have been a fan (more than 30 years) the Fans support for the Chargers has always been fickle - turning up when winning and staying at home when not - and never being able to pack the stadium. Maybe it's the organisation, maybe it's San Diego - who knows - and I doubt moving will improve the situation.

As for the Broncos - they are Denver's team and that will not change - and why would they - it has one of the best fan bases in the NFL.

• Advertisement

The point you are avoiding is that it was one game with McDaniels as a result of an organised boycott by Broncos fans. The following home game after McDaniels was sacked there was a full-house despite the fact that the season had gone down the toilet - the fans were there for the team.

For as long as I have been a fan (more than 30 years) the Fans support for the Chargers has always been fickle - turning up when winning and staying at home when not - and never being able to pack the stadium. Maybe it's the organisation, maybe it's San Diego - who knows - and I doubt moving will improve the situation.

As for the Broncos - they are Denver's team and that will not change - and why would they - it has one of the best fan bases in the NFL.

I'm still sticking with my original point that Bronco fans didn't show up in the same numbers when not doing well. Even accounting for the McDaniels boycott (8,000 people you said) they were still averaging 1,000 fans less a game that season than their stadium capacity. Maybe Charger fans are fickle but that's the nature of sport. You seem to just be happy having a go at the fan base without looking at any possible factors.

Moving won't do the organisation any good but i can guarantee you if it was announced the team had been sold and that they were staying in San Diego they would sell out the rest of the season at the Q and you wouldn't see an opposition jersey.

It's good that you can be so confident in the loyalty of your organisation to the fans but since i supported the Chargers (10 years) the organisation has been trying to move to LA. When the fans showed up and packed the stadium out the organisation still talked about moving to LA

The reality is, the bond between the organisation and community is broken, i would say it's the organisations responsibility to be a part of the community and reach out to the fans, not the other way around

I'm still sticking with my original point that Bronco fans didn't show up in the same numbers when not doing well. Even accounting for the McDaniels boycott (8,000 people you said) they were still averaging 1,000 fans less a game that season than their stadium capacity.
    There will always be a certain number of people who buy a ticket but don't turn up to games - in the case of the Broncos that number is rarely over 500 - out of a capacity of 76,000.

The average no-show for the NFL is 5,000 - and the Broncos are consistently in the top 5 in the NFL for overall attendance and for maximising the numbers attending for each game

You claim that Broncos fans don't show up when the team is playing badly - but have been unable to produce zero evidence for this - your latest attempt is to suggest that because 1,000 people less (out of 76,000) per game attended for a season that it proves the Broncos fans don't go when the team are down - it is nonsense and can be demonstrated by the comparison with San Diego

Qualcomm has a capacity of 71,500. The average ticket sales for the Chargers this year is 66,700 - almost 5,000 less than capacity. On top of this there are significant numbers of no-shows and for the game last weekend it is estimated that there were between 25,000-30,000 Broncos fans in attendance.
    Maybe Charger fans are fickle but that's the nature of sport. You seem to just be happy having a go at the fan base without looking at any possible factors.
    I am sure that there are many loyal Chargers fans that would support the team with hell or highwater - however a large amount of the 'fanbase' is soft and fickle and always has been
    Moving won't do the organisation any good but i can guarantee you if it was announced the team had been sold and that they were staying in San Diego they would sell out the rest of the season at the Q and you wouldn't see an opposition jersey.
    I would agree that moving will have little effect on the Chargers - LA has seen its share of team arrive and then leave - I suspect it will be the same oif the Chargers move.

However, I disagree with you about what would happen if it were announced tomorrow that the Chargers were to remain in SD - past evidence suggests that little would change.
    It's good that you can be so confident in the loyalty of your organisation to the fans but since i supported the Chargers (10 years) the organisation has been trying to move to LA. When the fans showed up and packed the stadium out the organisation still talked about moving to LA
    I have been a fan for 30 years and in every game I have watched in SD over that time I have seen Chargers fans turn on their team as soon as a bad pass in thrown or the RB doesn't get a ton of yards. That is my reflection on SD and the fans there. You can dispute this if you like - but the problem is that the fans show up when they think the team will win and abandon the team at all other times.
    The reality is, the bond between the organisation and community is broken, i would say it's the organisations responsibility to be a part of the community and reach out to the fans, not the other way around
    I agree - but (in my opinion) in the end, no matter how bad the organisation, real fans will turn up to every game and give their all to support the team.

I wish the Chargers and their fans all the best - I hope it works out - a stronger Chargers team will force the Broncos to get better. The current Chargers team is actually not that bad - it has a lot of injuries and has been unlucky. I still think McCoy has the makings of a good HC - but the way things are going he is unlikely to be there much longer.

While it may have been the last game at Qualcomm for all involved last night, it certainly was for Malcolm Floyd. An absolute legend of a player, when injuries weren't making a hunt of him of course. He's going to be tough to replace for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

The win only moved the chargers down one position in the draft as well. Good to see a win. I checked out PFF this morning. Some nice positives for the young guys. JV is the second ranked cover corner, but is let down by his run defense. DP is the 4th ranked run defense linebacker, but is let down by his coverage.

I've avoided paying any real attention to the stadium stuff until now, but how can this be the last year in San Diego, when neither stadium exists? If someone could do a brief summary that would be great as I can't deal with BFTB unless it's Kyle Posey or Garrett Sisi

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

What an utterly depressing season it has been on and off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Eric Waddle has been placed on IR (against his wishes) and fined 10k for leaving the locker room during HT to see his daughter do some performance on the field.

I kinda agree on the fine. You can't just have players leave the locker room for personal reasons during HT.

Placing him on IR for no reason is quite spiteful considering he is leaving at the end of the season. He has given a lot to the Chargers and deserves to go out on the field.

Obviously there will be a new coach next season but there should be a review of all senior positions at the Franchise.

• Advertisement

Last game of the season is upon us, it's been a terrible season and its one I'm glad see the back of, I hope first business on black Monday as I heard it called is all coaches out of charger park, I never want to see the chargers lose, but this week I wouldn't mind a loss it would secure the third pick in the draft, players who have impressed me this season are perryman and jerry attouch both are good young linebackers who have shown well imo, barksdale has done ok at rt imo,

Eric Waddle has been placed on IR (against his wishes) and fined 10k for leaving the locker room during HT to see his daughter do some performance on the field.

I kinda agree on the fine. You can't just have players leave the locker room for personal reasons during HT.

Placing him on IR for no reason is quite spiteful considering he is leaving at the end of the season. He has given a lot to the Chargers and deserves to go out on the field.

Obviously there will be a new coach next season but there should be a review of all senior positions at the Franchise.

The Chargers could get into trouble for that - Waddle ran sprints at practice yesterday and there are suggestions that the NFL will charge the Chargers with an IR violation for placing a fit player on IR.

Jaysus, now the talk is McCoy is going to come back. If that happens I will not be renewing my Gamepass. No way can I suffer another year of that buffoon.

The only guys to come out of this year with any credit are Rivers, Verrett, Perryman, Allen, Attaochu, Fluker, Ingram (to a certain extent, he takes plays and games off imho), Patrick Robinson, Te'o did ok. You could maybe include Barksdale, at least he was on the field more often than not but he had a poor final game.

Shame to see M80 go out like that but what a player for us. Hopefully we'll see Williams emerge as a WR of similar calibre, he has the tools but is very rough.
    Steve Williams had some stat line for the game but he gets beaten too easily.

Our poor O-line, so many injuries. I think if we can resign Barksdale then we're only missing a C to have a pretty good chance. Can't predict injuries but we never stood a chance this year with the number of them. If we can give Rivers time then we'll get at least a minimum of one more TD per game and with that we'd have 5 more wins this year and 3 ties. We're not far away.

I hope next year to see a power offence, with Gordon up to speed and confident we can be good with another WR to complement KA.

Defence looks solid in the front 7 if we can get a good DE. I really hope we draft one in the first 2 rounds and with Liuget and Carrethers on the line we might be able to stop the run soon. I think Ingram hasn't played well enough to have other teams chasing after him too hard so we might resign him but with Attaochu, Perryman and Te'o we'll be ok.

Shame to see our secondary in such a state again, need 2 safeties and a boot to kick Flowers up the ass with. Hope Mager turns into something, he was a project player for this year so he should be contributing next year.

Thank God that season is over with, now time to start firing people and bring in a tough coach to harden us up. A good draft from TT please

Agree with oaob our defence looks solid compared to earlier in the season, a good de instead of Reyes and maybe a dt aswell would help slow down other teams running attack, our linebackers, Jerry Kyle denzel manti and Melvin over the last few weeks have really improved and are right up there with the best of them on there day imo,
    We need a secondary overall, Phillips done ok a safety but don't think he is that elite guy you need back there, Williams had a great game yesterday but still over the season alot of blown coverages and penalties, mager early to call as injury held up his season but could be interesting going forward, verrett what can you say he is our number one corner, flowers big cap hit I belive, his play could warrant considering been cut, addae just doesn't seem to have the talent to be that top safety, Robinson done ok better then flowers give him a one year deal at most is all, weddle less said the better after the way he was treated, hurts to say it but he's out the door in FA,

Number 3 pick in the draft, we need help at wr, dline, oline, safety, cb, and te, after tunsil at ot I don't see anyone that would be good enough for a top 3 pick, but still quality for later rounds and tunsil will be picked by titans, bosa is a great player, but something just puts me off him and that there good depth in dline in this draft, hargreaves is a great talent at cb, but he is the same as we have small and easily injured, now my pick if I was TT jalen Ramsey can play safety and cb is big strong and fast, very good in man coverage with fast wr and big hits to knock balls out after catch, has great instincts to run plays, could be a perfect replacement for weddle imo

• Advertisement

Our only hope is that Cleveland pick a QB that way we get either Tunsil or Bosa.

McCoy staying, what a joke. A team happy to be mediocre

McCoy staying, what a joke. A team happy to be mediocre

The ownership is a laughing stock. I couldn't care less what they do anymore, it's clear they are completely incompetent. It's a pity because I spent a lot of time supporting this team and it is only in the last 10 years or so I've realised that.

I'll probably be moving on from the NFL now. Cannot believe I just wrote that.

Our only hope is that Cleveland pick a QB that way we get either Tunsil or Bosa.

It could very easily fall into our laps that way, Titans need a RB badly but also need to protect Mariota & boost their pass rush too, they can't do all 3 in one pick obviously, if they decide to go Bosa or get seduced by an RB blowing up the combine, then tunsil should fall to us as, incompetent as the Browns ownership have been, even they surely realise at this stage they need a QB and a WR far more than yet another offensive lineman.. Picking 3rd in each of the first four rounds should hopefully help us unearth some quality, hopefully the loss of the 5th round pick to the niners won't come back to haunt us :/

I haven't looked into the draft prospects too much at the minute but Bosa could be something special and would love seeing us grab him.
    Tunsil would be a good pick but the problem is we don't know what we currently have because of injuries. Dunlap can be solid but picks up injuries constantly. Franklin looks like a money grabber. Watt is not good enough at C currently. Fluker is good but always playing hurt. Barksdale is a FA but was our most consistent from last year. Do we try rebuild the line for a 3rd time in 4 years or give these guys another shot? Keep in mind every LT that has been drafted high for the last few years has struggled so while he may be good in the future the chances of Tunsil contributing much next year is slim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Finally it's all over.. And thankfully. Very depressing year.

Firstly on the firings.. Very surprised Joe D'Alessandres got fired with the injuries he had to work with. Hopefully Ken comes back in as our play caller.

For the roster itself.. I don't agree we need a huge overhaul. Look at teams who have picked top 5 in recent years and turned it around. We had a massive amount of close games this year, it is crucial we hit with the first and second pick, I would not be obverse to trading back.

Massive hole at wide out, dline and secondary, and question mark over the oline. We also have a bit of money to play with in free agency.

Mike McCoy isn't a likeable character but if Gates and Rivers back him that's good enough for me to watch and cheer on the team next year. Seems we will be playing in San Diego again next year at least, think I'll have to make a trip to see them play in San Diego, but I'll definitely still support the team in LA.

Again looking for positives, look at Carolina, Ron Rivera had a horrible start and turned it around, hopefully we can do the same but unfortunately our division isn't helping.

We go again next year.

I made the point a few days ago that more than $50million of the Chargers cap was eaten up by players on IR or dead money. If the Chargers front office get that sorted then McCoy could possibly turn things around - if they don't then a half dozen first round picks wouldn't help.

As for the division - the better the teams the better the division. The Broncos won their two SBs during years when the AFC West was the best division in the NFL. Here is hoping all four teams can be competitive.

I saw the post a couple of days ago, assumed it was false as it didn't resonate with me, the only way I would have believed it was if Gaither or Meachem were still on the books. So I went and took a look at overthecap to see if there was anything to what you were saying.

Dead Money
    Jarret Johnson $2,500,000 (retired, nothing you can do)
    Jimmy Wilson $2,250,000 (cut very recently, not much of an impact on seasons cap)
    Donald Brown $1,789,215 (cut mid season, not much of an impact)
    Ryan Mathews $1,633,750 (I don't understand this one)
    Jacoby Jones $1,223,529 (cut mid season, not much of an impact
    Chad Rinehart $1,000,000 (should never have been given such a contract, bad decision)
    Mitch Unrein $875,000 (bad decision here)
    John Phillips $666,668 (bad decision here)

This is the full list of others, I don't really think they are worth discussing

Nick Novak $375,000
    Adrian Phillips $360,000
    Ben Beckwith $318,000
    Torrence Allen $318,000
    J.D. Walton $175,294
    Brandon Taylor $160,969
    Reggie Walker $160,000
    Chris Davis $137,118
    Vincent Brown $116,470
    Brandon Ghee $115,000
    Brad Sorensen $92,400
    Craig Watts $79,200
    Marion Grice $74,172
    Brad Sorensen $60,000
    Michael Ola $60,000
    Kyle Miller $60,000
    Sean McGrath $60,000
    Gordon Hill $58,118
    Ryan Mueller $52,800
    Tyrell Williams $52,800
    Javontee Herndon $52,800
    Greg Ducre $52,800
    Damion Square $52,800
    Tyrell Williams $52,342
    Dreamius Smith $46,200
    Tevin Reese $37,074
    Michael Huey $33,000
    Sean McGrath $33,000
    Brad Sorensen $29,700
    Tyreek Burwell $28,921
    Matt Daniels $26,400
    Michael Ola $26,400
    Craig Watts $25,588
    Donatella Luckett $13,200
    Adrian Phillips $13,200
    Kasey Redfern $13,200
    Donte Foster $13,200
    Shane Wynn $13,200
    Tyreek Burwell $13,200
    Nick McDonald $8,750
    Torrence Allen $8,000
    Dreamius Smith $7,266
    Carrington Byndom $6,600
    Jeremiah Sirles $6,000
    Cameron Clemmons $5,000
    Alden Darby $3,334
    Javontee Herndon $3,000
    Greg Ducre $2,667
    Titus Davis $2,500
    Darryl Johnson $2,334
    Brian Parker $2,333
    Cole Stoudt $2,000
    Brelan Chancellor $2,000
    Chris Davis $2,000
    Colton Underwood $2,000
    Alvin Scioneaux $2,000
    Micah Hatfield $1,334
    D.J. Adams $1,334
    Curtis Grant $1,333
    Cordarro Law $1,250
    Kwame Geathers $1,000
    Ben Beckwith $1,000
    Johnny Lowdermilk $833
    Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe $833
    Manny Asprilla $667
    Chase Tenpenny $667
    Michael Flacco $667
    Jahwan Edwards $666
    Demetrius Wilson $500
    Eric Frohnapfel $333
    Cameron Botticelli $333
    Ryan Mueller $333

Here is the IR list

Eric Weddle $10,100,000 (1 game left in season when he went on IR)
    Corey Liuget $7,977,000 (3 games left in the season when he went on IR)
    Brandon Flowers $4,250,000
    Melvin Gordon $1,939,957 (3 games left in the season when he went on IR)
    Johnnie Troutman $1,589,938
    Darrell Stuckey $1,433,750 (3 games left in the season when he went on IR)
    Sean Lissemore $1,250,000 (3 games left in the season when he went on IR)
    Ladarius Green $772,725 (3 games left in the season when he went on IR)
    Keenan Allen $753,450
    Chris Watt $663,535
    Tourek Williams $612,515
    Branden Oliver $416,294
    Tenny Palepoi $337,166
    Brock Hekking $320,500
    Chi Chi Ariguzo $319,333
    Ben Beckwith $319,000
    Alex Bayer $112,200

So, nevermind the fact that you can't account for people going on IR, the bulk of the players went on IR with less than 25% a completely meaningless season remaining, meaning the front office weren't hamstrung by the salaries.

The front office has many, many problems but what you are focusing on is not one of them.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Finally it's all over.. And thankfully. Very depressing year.

Firstly on the firings.. Very surprised Joe D'Alessandres got fired with the injuries he had to work with. Hopefully Ken comes back in as our play caller.

For the roster itself.. I don't agree we need a huge overhaul. Look at teams who have picked top 5 in recent years and turned it around. We had a massive amount of close games this year, it is crucial we hit with the first and second pick, I would not be obverse to trading back.

Massive hole at wide out, dline and secondary, and question mark over the oline. We also have a bit of money to play with in free agency.

Mike McCoy isn't a likeable character but if Gates and Rivers back him that's good enough for me to watch and cheer on the team next year. Seems we will be playing in San Diego again next year at least, think I'll have to make a trip to see them play in San Diego, but I'll definitely still support the team in LA.

Again looking for positives, look at Carolina, Ron Rivera had a horrible start and turned it around, hopefully we can do the same but unfortunately our division isn't helping.

We go again next year.

I feel like I wrote this post! Spot on

So Carson blows up in Deano's face.

Choice now is to cosy up with Stan in Inglewood as minion or go back to SD and still be King of your Castle.

Deano needs to swallow his pride/ego, fire Fabiani and get back to SD and do a deal.

Looks like Chargers will be in SD in 2016 fellas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement