Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

Molly wrote: »
    Kyle Posey has done some great breakdowns of players on BFTB. Ramsey, Buckner, Nkemdiche and Su'a Cravens so far.

Have been looking at them with great interest, seems to be big on Ramsey like myself, found myself watching alot of videos of these players on YouTube the last couple of weeks and I rank them in order of tunsil, Ramsey, bosa, Buckner, I think this draft could change around or after the combine, wouldn't be surprised if cowboys traded with titans to get there future qb ahead of the browns, and then we would get the pick of the top talents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

I'm unsure how he doesn't have a role in one of the bigger sites to be honest. His analysis is outstanding. My preference is

Buckner
    Ramsey
    Bosa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

tripperman wrote: »
    Have been looking at them with great interest, seems to be big on Ramsey like myself, found myself watching alot of videos of these players on YouTube the last couple of weeks and I rank them in order of tunsil, Ramsey, bosa, Buckner, I think this draft could change around or after the combine, wouldn't be surprised if cowboys traded with titans to get there future qb ahead of the browns, and then we would get the pick of the top talents

The Cowboys can stay where they are and let Cleveland pick the wrong QB :)

I'd love to know right now which of the QBs they each see as the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

My own opinion on drafting a QB in the first is if you don't have teams scrambling to trade up and get him then he probably isn't that safe a pick. The fact that there is no consensus no.1 QB would lead me to think they all have flaws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Donald Butler released, can't say that comes as a surprise.

Such a promising player turned out to be a dud.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Donald Butler released, can't say that comes as a surprise.

Such a promising player turned out to be a dud.

Was on the cards after how well manti and denzel performed in the last few games a great pairing for the future hopefully, still another young quality mlb might be added in the draft for injury cover,

Other news gates should be staying and talk of green also staying during the combine,

Any opinions on how some of the top talents done in the combine who might end up in San Diego, Ramsey for me was very good would help improve the secondary, Kenny Clark a dt could be a nice second round pick for the dline

Donald Brown, Kavell Connor and Chi Chi Ariguzo gone too.

Great to see the waste of space that Butler became as soon as he got paid being all over the media now, via Acee principally. The chancers like he and Gaither have to be kept out of the NFL. The more this happens (even if they got a decent payday) the more players will know you can't quit when the $ rolls in. Identifying them beforehand is now a truly valued skill, some teams appear to be better at this than others there is no doubt about it.

I hope he never plays another down in the NFL. He hopes the millions he robbed from the Chargers is enough to satisfy him for the rest of his life, perhaps it will be.

Joe Barksdale signed up for 4 more years. Very happy, hopefully numbers are fair. Getting Patrick Robinson would be good too. Would love Alex Mack but think he might be too pricey.

Happy to see barksdale resign played well last season, hopefully gates and green today, anyone seen any stories linking us to any Free agent's yet

• Advertisement

Bringing Barksdale back is important, we already have enough questions along the Oline. I'm just hoping that he keeps his performance going and that it wasn't just a contract year that made him play well.
    Patrick Robinson would be a good signing and allows us to get away from Flowers contract if he doesn't improve this year.
    Would love Mack but will probably cost too much. I think he's the Jags main priority and it makes sense to get Bortles a really experienced centre.
    Haven't listened to too many FA predictions, teams can go any direction that it's a complete guessing game.

What do people think about resigning Green? I'm conflicted as he's had 4 years in the league and is still a back up to Gates. He's a poor blocker so he's unlikely to see the field as Gates gets the passing plays. I think if he went to the saints he'd put up jimmy graham numbers but just don't know if we'll get the production out of him

I think Barksdale is a serviceable RT so glad he is back, hope it didn't cost too much.

Any of you guys listen to the lightning round podcast? the 2 lads have been touting Browns safety Tashaun Gipson to the Chargers big time for a long time. Other lads mentioned have been Ian Williams the NT in San Fran and William Hayes DE from Rams.

I'd like to see us go after WR Marvin Jones from Bengals. Others are talking up Travis Benjamin from the Browns who put up some decent numbers without a real QB.

I can't see Mack coming. Having said that I really want to see Trevor Robinson going so we are short a center or 2 there is no doubt.

Travis Benjamin coming to the chargers apparently. If he plays like he did last year that looks like a good signing. Good for returns also. Vasquez back would be good but not sure he is needed. He's too good for depth and I expect our guards to be better this year.

Travis Benjamin coming to the chargers apparently. If he plays lie he did last year that looks like a good signing. Good for returns also. Vasquez back would be good but not sure he is needed. He's too good for depth and I expect our guards to be better this year.

Hadn't seen that about Benjamin it's good news, seems Patrick Robinson could be going giants and eagles were supposed to be interested in him, no word on a deal for gates or green yet leaves me thinking they could be going

If the Benjamin rumours are true then that is an excellent pick up as it solves an area of need.

I think Vasquez would be an upgrade on our O-line but it's not really an area of need. We have Fluker, Franklin, Watt, Wiggins so signing him would mean we'd have to cut 2 of the mentioned guys which would result in a cap hit

If Giants get Jenkins they'd be out of the race for Robinson but the likelihood is that the price will shoot up once the first CB signing is announced.

I'd be shocked to see Gates go anywhere but SD. I think Green is gone

I agree on Vasquez, he's a luxury we can't afford. Having said that he's probably a better G than the 2 we expect to start i.e. Franklin and Fluker, but to expect either of them to backup is not realistic.

I like Benjamin but he's (in McGregor parlance) a midget. We also need a big fast wideout, perhaps he will come in the draft or perhaps McCoward will give Tyrell Williams a proper chance this yr.

Will be disappointed to see us lose Patrick Robinson........... but would love to see us lose Trevor Robinson. Can't believe he is still not gone/cut.

EDIT: Benjamin is a Charger, just confirmed by Gehlken.

Gates done too.

2 yr deal.

Decent first day. Wonder if we could be in play for Stefen Wisniewski the ex raider center. Mack looks like he is going to the falcons

Wisniewski I think be great, at a much better price then Mack too.

Great to have Gates staying, disappointing that we're losing Green, always felt he could have been special.

• Advertisement

Brandon Mebane and Dwight Lowery added. Meh

Brandon Mebane and Dwight Lowery added. Meh

Agree molly, trying to figure out is getting lowery a sign were going for Ramsey in the draft or that they think he's a starter (which for me is mad dont think hes near that level anymore)

Mebane at least gives us something at the NT spot and here's hoping it means the end of Lissemore. I know we are in need at safety but Lowery sounds/looks like the next Jimmy Wilson to me. Not sure how he is going to fit it/be the guy back there.

Kendall Reyes gone to Washington....

Meanwhile over in Eric Weddles house........................ crickets.

Any hope of everyone kissing and making up?

Any hope of everyone kissing and making up?

Weddle you mean? I don't think so. He's looking like a bit of an eejit now.

• Advertisement

Seen it on bleacher report that weddle was looking for to much money form the cowboys, did anyone hear if Vazquez signed for the titans yet, if they sign him they might not draft tunsil and he could be on the board at 3 for us with Ramsey gone all ready

Seen it on bleacher report that weddle was looking for to much money form the cowboys, did anyone hear if Vazquez signed for the titans yet, if they sign him they might not draft tunsil and he could be on the board at 3 for us with Ramsey gone all ready

Cowboys? I saw the Steelers mentioned and they too said he was too pricey for them. Apparently the teams in play are Panthers, Raiders and Patriots.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

To be honest i hope he does get a big deal, he gave us 8 years of great service and despite the sour ending i wouldn't wish him ill. I do think he's over-valued himself but if he can get what he thinks it's worth then more power to him.
    I would think that his agent has blackened his name with a few of his actions is SD, i think he has done very poorly for his player so far

We have a fifth round pick which TT can't trade away for once, that's 8 picks for the draft

Thought you were able to trade compensatory picks now or does that only come in next year?
    Either way it's great to get an additional pick.

• Advertisement

OAOB wrote: »
    Thought you were able to trade compensatory picks now or does that only come in next year?
    Either way it's great to get an additional pick.

Next year I think that comes in, I don't remember when we last had an extra pick

Casey Hayward signed. Means Robinson is gone. Would have liked Robinson but it's a solid replacement. Wisniewski at center would cap a very good free agency.

Casey Hayward signed. Means Robinson is gone. Would have liked Robinson but it's a solid replacement. Wisniewski at center would cap a very good free agency.

Yeah it's a good signing i think, 3 years at about $15m seems like a good team deal. Really wanted to sign Robinson but i think he's earned a higher contract and good to see TT not waiting around on players. So much of our secondary depends on Flowers regaining form, if that happens we'll be well set at cb.

Completely agree about Wisniewski, he's an immediate upgrade and while we could still go C in the draft, it removes it as a high priority and allows us to address other areas of need first.

There's still some good FA players available out there but i think we've done ok so far, now it's time to wait and if the prices drop sufficiently we can sign an area of need. One area i think we could do with another veteran presence is at T as Dunlaps health is a worry. Okung, Beachum and Penn would all be good signings and my preference would be in that order but it's very dependent on money

I saw some internet talk of us moving on from Dunlap or at least bringing in a Tackle that would start ahead of him. But if I have it right because Dunlap is still on the team i.e. a certain date has passed, the team is already on the hook for $4.5m or something for 2016. So he'd be a very costly back up. There's no doubt though he will not play 16 games this year, he is far too injury prone.
    Yeah it's a good signing i think, 3 years at about $15m seems like a good team deal. Really wanted to sign Robinson but i think he's earned a higher contract and good to see TT not waiting around on players. So much of our secondary depends on Flowers regaining form, if that happens we'll be well set at cb.

Completely agree about Wisniewski, he's an immediate upgrade and while we could still go C in the draft, it removes it as a high priority and allows us to address other areas of need first.

There's still some good FA players available out there but i think we've done ok so far, now it's time to wait and if the prices drop sufficiently we can sign an area of need. One area i think we could do with another veteran presence is at T as Dunlaps health is a worry. Okung, Beachum and Penn would all be good signings and my preference would be in that order but it's very dependent on money

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I saw some internet talk of us moving on from Dunlap or at least bringing in a Tackle that would start ahead of him. But if I have it right because Dunlap is still on the team i.e. a certain date has passed, the team is already on the hook for $4.5m or something for 2016. So he'd be a very costly back up. There's no doubt though he will not play 16 games this year, he is far too injury prone.

Think that was on BFTB they also said they wouldn't take tunsil if he was available at number 3, think its 13 million we save if we cut him next off-season,

Still we need find a couple of te to help gates out, could with a good mlb depth to help cover for when Manti and denzel gets injured, as they will miss games imo with the hard hitting style they play,

If Dunlap gets a concussion early in the season he should be IR'd, can't feck around with the mans long term mental health. He's worth his spot in the team but if we can't rely on him for 16 games then we better have a good back up option. I know BFTB suggested bringing in Penn and using Dunlap as a swing tackle and while that's an expensive option i'd be all for it.

I think our biggest needs are S, DE, TE and ILB in that order. We should be able to get 2 high caliber starters (S & DE) and 2 high caliber contributors (back up ILB and TE) in the draft. After that it's just trying to get good depth across the roster

So Weddle goes to the Ravens on a 4 year, 26m contract with 13 guaranteed. The contract is front loaded so i wouldn't expect to see him play after 2 more years.
    I think the numbers are way below what he was expecting, could be a strong taste of humble pie for him

Acee says 29 million and 11 million in the first year. I don't think he'll be eating humble pie. He's also on the radio with Acee tonight

In fairness he is the second highest paid safety next yest behind Berry.

Really hope we can get Ramsey in the draft. Need impact players imo.

Left tackle is a concern, I can see a centre being brought in still during free agency along with a TE

I reckon Weddle has made out like a bandit.. it's all about guaranteed money now and even if it is only 2 yr deal it's still 6.5 per which is way more than he'd have got if he stayed in SD.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I reckon Weddle has made out like a bandit.. it's all about guaranteed money now and even if it is only 2 yr deal it's still 6.5 per which is way more than he'd have got if he stayed in SD.

More than SD were willing to pay anyway
    It's a good contract for him but when you see the crazy money that players have been getting this off season then i think he didn't do too well in comparison.
    Will this contract get us compensatory picks next year? I'm never sure how that works

More than SD were willing to pay anyway
    It's a good contract for him but when you see the crazy money that players have been getting this off season then i think he didn't do too well in comparison.
    Will this contract get us compensatory picks next year? I'm never sure how that works

Oh Yes more than SD and hence why he is gone. There is normally at least 1 team out there that thinks you are worth more than the team you are on. Sure enough there has been some crazy money thrown around this FA but I really think Weddle can't have expected to better that deal. He should be delighted with it.

As far as I know Telesco asked him and agent what he thought he was worth. He might have suggested something that would guarantee him something like 20m which would be far too rich for Telesco. Telesco probably was thinking more along the lines of 10m guaranteed and say 17m over 3 years. The reason being the most you could realistically get out of Weddle is 2 more years. But when they started out so high he said good luck. Weddle was starting to be a bit of a moaner too and we don't need that sort around. He surprised me to be honest with all his mouthing off last year. He could still be here on maybe 12m guaranteed if he kept his mouth shut. I think he sealed his own exit to be honest.

Fair play to TT he got Hayward in on what looks a bargin deal for a cb,compared to what the rams just gave the former Titans cb coty,

I'm going to presume that we're done with big name FA signings so it's role on the draft.

I'm still hoping we take Ramsey but if he's off the board i'd be happy with Buckner. It'd be interesting to see what we do if Tunsil is still available as it's a filling a vital position for the next decade but it's not an immediate need.

One player i have a really low value on is Myles Jack and it seems the Chargers are showing a lot of interest in him. Amazing athlete but hasn't the football stats to back it up. Would be drafting based on potential instead of production which is a stupid method in the first round.

Trading down is an option but i don't think there's any player available that teams will give up too much for.

I'm going to presume that we're done with big name FA signings so it's role on the draft.

I'm still hoping we take Ramsey but if he's off the board i'd be happy with Buckner. It'd be interesting to see what we do if Tunsil is still available as it's a filling a vital position for the next decade but it's not an immediate need.

One player i have a really low value on is Myles Jack and it seems the Chargers are showing a lot of interest in him. Amazing athlete but hasn't the football stats to back it up. Would be drafting based on potential instead of production which is a stupid method in the first round.

Trading down is an option but i don't think there's any player available that teams will give up too much for.

I'd love a trade down to say 7 where someone like Buckner or even Bosa might still be there. But talking about a trade and finding a real trading partner are 2 v different things.

If Tunsil is there and we cannot trade down we have to take him. If he is gone then it gets very interesting. I too think #3 would be far too rich for Myles Jack, I wonder if all this is about the Chargers going to see him is the blowing of smoke. The Chargers might be dead set on picking someone like Tunsil and are hoping the Titans or Browns pick Jack or trade to a team wanting him....

Starting to think Ramsey may be gone by pick 3, depends on how the Browns view RGIII. I think they take him as a stop gap and draft a QB in the top of the 2nd.
    Ramsey definitely doesn't reach us if no QB is taken 1or2

Starting to think Ramsey may be gone by pick 3, depends on how the Browns view RGIII. I think they take him as a stop gap and draft a QB in the top of the 2nd.
    Ramsey definitely doesn't reach us if no QB is taken 1or2

Doesn't look like a QB is going 1 or 2. But I'm hoping it makes our pick more valuable now to the likes of San Fran or the Rams i.e. jump in ahead of the Cowboys and take who you think is the best QB in this class.

I'd love to see us trade down and pick up an extra round 2 pick maybe.

Yay another TE has come in so we now have (in number only) 5 on the roster.... and not 2 like many have been pontificating about for ages.

Cumberland ex Jets. Primarily a blocker but he has to be an upgrade over David Johnson who was pure muck.

Well guys with the draft been just three weeks away, time to look at who's been to charger park and what would you do if your TT, I see Buckner was in for a vist and had a private work out aswell, we also worked out Ramsey, meet with Myles Jack, he says that they plan to play him at safety, don't think he's got enough production from college to justify that high a pick, Ken was at Paxton lynch pro day, more of a smoke screen then an actual draft target imo, what do you's think,

• Advertisement

Well guys with the draft been just three weeks away, time to look at who's been to charger park and what would you do if your TT, I see Buckner was in for a vist and had a private work out aswell, we also worked out Ramsey, meet with Myles Jack, he says that they plan to play him at safety, don't think he's got enough production from college to justify that high a pick, Ken was at Paxton lynch pro day, more of a smoke screen then an actual draft target imo, what do you's think,

I can't believe they'd be considering taking Lynch in rd 2? I trust that there is absolutely no chance of TT being stupid enough to waste the 3rd pick on the draft on him. I'm hoping it is all a smokescreen.

I don't want Jack at pick 3 either. If we were to trade down to 7 or 8 say and Buckner and Jack are still available that would be a hard choice. I've been saying we need to pick Bosa at 3 if he is there. I am not sold on Ramsey but he will be gone by pick 7 I reckon.

If Tunsil goes #1 and say Wentz #2 then I say pick Bosa.

If Tunsil and Bosa go 1, 2 & we can't trade down then we might have to pick Ramsey.

Advertisement