Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

tripperman wrote: »
    I read on bleacher report, that they can't release Robinson till he's fit since he was placed on IR at the end of last season, so prob a few week's for that news,

Yeah I saw that too somewhere.. his days are numbered though no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭tripperman

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I read on bleacher report, that they can't release Robinson till he's fit since he was placed on IR at the end of last season, so prob a few week's for that news,

Yeah I saw that too somewhere.. his days are numbered though no doubt about it.

And rightfully so he was awful when on the field, if the oline can stay healthy it should give protection and be more consistent in the run game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I honestly don't mind them keeping Robinson around for camp, it increases competition and makes people earn their spots.

If he makes the final roster i'd be well pissed

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

Fingers crossed that last season was just one of those horrible anomalies as regards picking up injuries every single game goes, we are building some very nice squad depth between the draft & FA, if (and that's a big if of course) we can keep everyone fit, we can definitely put ourselves in the mix for a potential wild card spot.. Doesn't help that our division has two murderously good defences and a rapidly improving Oakland / Vegas / wherever the money talks loudest Raiders outfit in there for us to try overcome, but hopefully we'll be in there pitching & fighting anyway!!

Nice reading in this article, sort of summed up my take on the draft too:

http://boltbeat.com/2016/05/04/the-rant-chargers-draft-was-disastrous/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Roll on the pre season games now!!

Seems Hunter, Bosa and McColi all looked great at rookie camp. If McCoil can replace Addae I will be delighted.

Would expect our draft picks to look good but McCoil is the intriguing one. Lots of good stories about him coming out so good to see him dominate udfa, means he might be able to compete with veterans. He has the advantage of being a professional athlete for two years so less ground to make up

Apparently the Navy FB might even be better than Watt (not that I have massive expectations of Watt anyway). The 'Swain Train' is his nickname. #chrisswain

So Slauson has arrived after a 30+ hr drive from Chicago and he was taking 1st team reps at center yesterday. Great to see. Looks like a tough guy too unlike the predecessors who look like altar boys beside him. We've not had that enforcer since Dielman.

So Slauson has arrived after a 30+ hr drive from Chicago and he was taking 1st team reps at center yesterday. Great to see. Looks like a tough guy too unlike the predecessors who look like altar boys beside him. We've not had that enforcer since Dielman.

I had to read that twice yesterday, he's that tough mindset of gut we need in there to protect Rivers and pass on his experience to max

Did you see Mebane said we have more talent on the defense than the Seahawks, puts a bit of pressure on Pagano to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mettenberger is now a charger

Said in the FA thread that I wanted us to get him as i think he's got potential but needs a few years under a veteran QB.
    Titans had to draft Mariota but Mettenberger was not the weakest link on that team by a long shot. Completely different QB to Mariota so bad backup option for Titans but his game is similar in style to Rivers so good option for us.
    Better long term option than Clemens and would hope he's QB2 with us. I think it's a good sign that Whisenhunt wanted him, obviously thinks there's something worth developing

Hope that cocaine rumour is false

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

He'll be back in Nashville for the first pre season game

OAOB wrote: »
    Did you see Mebane said we have more talent on the defense than the Seahawks, puts a bit of pressure on Pagano to deliver.

Imo the pressure was on him to deliver before them comments, we do have alot of young talented guy's on defence after spending early draft picks on them, it's just getting them to play the whole season like they did in the last few games last season, as I was delighted how they performed when butler and weddle was absent,
    Zach mett a charger should be an improvement on Clemmons as back up, interesting see how he goes learning from river's

Yeah and that's where I think the let down is, Pags for me is not the defensive guru/genius we could do with. Imagine Wade Phillips with this bunch.

Said in the FA thread that I wanted us to get him as i think he's got potential but needs a few years under a veteran QB.
    Titans had to draft Mariota but Mettenberger was not the weakest link on that team by a long shot. Completely different QB to Mariota so bad backup option for Titans but his game is similar in style to Rivers so good option for us.
    Better long term option than Clemens and would hope he's QB2 with us. I think it's a good sign that Whisenhunt wanted him, obviously thinks there's something worth developing

Hope that cocaine rumour is false

I think working behind/with Rivers can only help him, hope to F he cops himself on and realises this. This is his best shot now he better not blow it. If he can't beat out Clemens shame on him and any career he was hoping to have.

Yes and Whiz agreeing to it says a lot. I guess the push for Mariota came from on high in TN, not that Whiz would have too seen him an upgrade on Mett.

He'll be back in Nashville for the first pre season game

& we've got the Titans at home in reg season too. Mad that we are meeting in a preseason game.

Was a fan of Met when he was at LSU, then again having Beckham & Landry to catch passes isn't exactly going to make any QB look bad.. Surely means Clemens is for the chop down the line, was reading positive reports about Bercovici the UDFA QB we have in rookie camp too, practice squad probably his only shot at a roster spot now though as we certainly won't carry 4 QBs..

Saw an interesting article (can't find the link now though) mooting the idea of having an NFL equivalent to the NBA D-League, basically teams competing at a higher standard than college but lower than the big leagues, use it as a developmental process to give raw prospects an opportunity to learn and play the pro game without the same pressures as being pitched straight into the NFL.. I see the sense in it alright, but there doesn't seem to be any appetite within the NFL to get it off the ground.. Imagine, having two Chargers teams to tear your hair out over, what a joyful prospect!

carmanard wrote: »
    Was a fan of Met when he was at LSU, then again having Beckham & Landry to catch passes isn't exactly going to make any QB look bad.. Surely means Clemens is for the chop down the line, was reading positive reports about Bercovici the UDFA QB we have in rookie camp too, practice squad probably his only shot at a roster spot now though as we certainly won't carry 4 QBs..

Saw an interesting article (can't find the link now though) mooting the idea of having an NFL equivalent to the NBA D-League, basically teams competing at a higher standard than college but lower than the big leagues, use it as a developmental process to give raw prospects an opportunity to learn and play the pro game without the same pressures as being pitched straight into the NFL.. I see the sense in it alright, but there doesn't seem to be any appetite within the NFL to get it off the ground.. Imagine, having two Chargers teams to tear your hair out over, what a joyful prospect!

Dunno if u listen to the lightninground lads via BFTB but Jamie on there is a massive Arizona State follower/watcher and he has no time for Bercovici at all. His best chance is PS now.

The lower tier NFL league will always be talked about but I just don't think the depth is there in terms of player talent/ability to have a second league. You just have to look at the no. of competent QBs in the NFL I'd argue there is less than 20 and there are 32 teams.

• Advertisement

I think NFL Europe was a good idea as it got players away from the media glare in America and allowed them to develop their game. If they were to have a lower league in America i think it would end up with fans calling out for players to be promoted to the main roster the whole time.

The lower tier NFL league will always be talked about but I just don't think the depth is there in terms of player talent/ability to have a second league. You just have to look at the no. of competent QBs in the NFL I'd argue there is less than 20 and there are 32 teams.

I would certainly agree with the QB assessment alright... I do think there are players who flame out completely in the transition from "amateur" to the pro game and that don't benefit from being buried on a practice squad or scout team, it's just a shame that there isn't a second tier for these guys to be developed in before getting thrown to the wolves is all.. It's different with the NBA of course, the fact that there's only 15 roster spots per franchise means the D-League is an absolute necessity really.. And the fact basketball players can declare after only one year of college means there's always an oversupply too.. there's also the option of playing overseas in Europe or China for basketball players, something that really isn't a runner for football players (CFL notwithstanding and even that is a stretch)...

Don't mean to bore with the basketball comparisons, I'm a Phoenix Suns fan in that sport, man I really seem to have a thing for franchises that cause heartburn!! :P

carmanard wrote: »
    I would certainly agree with the QB assessment alright... I do think there are players who flame out completely in the transition from "amateur" to the pro game and that don't benefit from being buried on a practice squad or scout team, it's just a shame that there isn't a second tier for these guys to be developed in before getting thrown to the wolves is all.. It's different with the NBA of course, the fact that there's only 15 roster spots per franchise means the D-League is an absolute necessity really.. And the fact basketball players can declare after only one year of college means there's always an oversupply too.. there's also the option of playing overseas in Europe or China for basketball players, something that really isn't a runner for football players (CFL notwithstanding and even that is a stretch)...

Don't mean to bore with the basketball comparisons, I'm a Phoenix Suns fan in that sport, man I really seem to have a thing for franchises that cause heartburn!! :P

There is defo merit in that...

Great to see a new deal done with Keenan Allen, 44 million for fours seems very good value for the quality of player he is imo,

Really good contract for the Chargers but would have actually liked a longer deal.
    Delighted for the player, he plays hard every game and nice to see him being set up for life now

Yeah I'm with you lads on the deal for Keenan. If you look at it over the course of his whole Charger career it is great value for money. Considering he has totally outplayed his rookie deal. Wonder will they have a go at Ingram now too or wait.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm with you lads on the deal for Keenan. If you look at it over the course of his whole Charger career it is great value for money. Considering he has totally outplayed his rookie deal. Wonder will they have a go at Ingram now too or wait.

I think they could do deal early on, if he has a big season the price might be to high next off-season, don't forget that Manti Teo is up for resigning this coming season to, I think it all depends on how he plays this season beside Denzel, and with Brown and Perry both drafted in he could be pushed hard for game time, I know Brown is mainly an olb but can play inside and safety aswell

I'd resign Ingram now. TT is good at making team friendly deals so hopefully he can get it in place. High paying easy to reach performance incentives

I'd resign Ingram now. TT is good at making team friendly deals so hopefully he can get it in place. High paying easy to reach performance incentives

Ingram is intriguing. He's the type (in my opinion) to get paid and switch off which might mean if we put off signing him and let him play 2016 he will perform bigtime. Then another team will overpay. It's a tough one to make a call on now for TT. Maybe get 1 more great year out of him on his rookie deal then let someone get what might be a lazy type once he has the $'s in the bank.

I heard the opposite about him, his work ethic is meant to be ferocious. I don't think he was working smart until last year and that resulted in him carrying too much muscle and niggling injuries.
    If he can repeat the second half of last years performance then he will cost a lot. Risk reward would make me try get a deal done now.
    Good news is our coaches should have a good idea what type of person he is and how he'll respond to a big contract

I heard the opposite about him, his work ethic is meant to be ferocious. I don't think he was working smart until last year and that resulted in him carrying too much muscle and niggling injuries.
    If he can repeat the second half of last years performance then he will cost a lot. Risk reward would make me try get a deal done now.
    Good news is our coaches should have a good idea what type of person he is and how he'll respond to a big contract

I wonder was it because he was getting closer to the end of contract that he started putting it in though?

That't the thing... do they really know how he will react? I don't think he is the next Gaither (and that was a mixture of desperation on our side and his pulling the wool over everybodys eyes). Ingram might not even be the next Donald Butler after getting paid, just saying we should be wary.

Someone like Keenan Allen appears to want to be great/the best so I don't fear for him so much.

• Advertisement

Bosa not at minicamp is a real disappointment over contract. I don't know all the details I just think in this day and age you paythe slot and the player takes it no?

How do people feel about signing Eugene Monroe?

I think he's worth the risk as the biggest worry on the roster currently is Dunlaps health. Between Monroe and Dunlap we surely can have a healthy LT for 90% of the games. Not a Hairston fan and for a figure like $3million i think we get much better depth

How do people feel about signing Eugene Monroe?

I think he's worth the risk as the biggest worry on the roster currently is Dunlaps health. Between Monroe and Dunlap we surely can have a healthy LT for 90% of the games. Not a Hairston fan and for a figure like $3million i think we get much better depth

Good shout OAOB.. if he is 100% then I agree he is probably a better option than someone like Hairston. I still hold out big hopes for Burwell so I hope we don't let him go were we to bring in Monroe.

Hi guy's, interesting to see your views on Monroe, me personally I wouldn't sign him, I think he's to injury pron at this stage, hariston and burwell may not be at his level, but they stay healthy and that river's as great trust in hariston and that can make a big difference on the field, yes we need a long term solution at lt I would try get him in the next draft,

Disappointed with the bosa contract, I don't understand the ins and outs of it, but I believe you draft him that high just give him the money and get on with it, don't create a bad relationship from the start with him and the team

Bosa basically wants a fully guaranteed contract, I think we're completely right not to agree to that

Bosa basically wants a fully guaranteed contract, I think we're completely right not to agree to that

Ah o.k. I thought it was bonus related

Yeah he wants the offset language removed and we never do that for any player, Rivers included.

Melvin Gordon was in the UK over the weekend throwing a bowling get together with Charger fans!.... anybody hear anything about this beforehand? I didn't know about it until I saw the pix on Twitter.

Melvin Gordon was in the UK over the weekend throwing a bowling get together with Charger fans!.... anybody hear anything about this beforehand? I didn't know about it until I saw the pix on Twitter.

Hadn't heard about it till I read this post, you may tell him to come to Ireland that's where he will find more fan's and better craic

Hadn't heard about it till I read this post, you may tell him to come to Ireland that's where he will find more fan's and better craic

http://www.nfluk.com/news/specialfeatures/article-1/San-Diego-Chargers-running-back-Melvin-Gordon-hosts-UK-bowling-party/b939e77a-c5b8-4eb6-b337-245bff1f1f33

Haha yes one of my Twitter pals and fellow Charger fan has been having a go at Melvin for not coming here and Melvin replied 'some day'. Would be cool to get a Charger to visit Ireland. Antonio Garay was the last one I know of, he was at a family members wedding on the west coast and we were all set to meet had he made it to Dublin but he never did. It was a flying visit for him in the end.

• Advertisement

http://www.nfluk.com/news/specialfeatures/article-1/San-Diego-Chargers-running-back-Melvin-Gordon-hosts-UK-bowling-party/b939e77a-c5b8-4eb6-b337-245bff1f1f33

Haha yes one of my Twitter pals and fellow Charger fan has been having a go at Melvin for not coming here and Melvin replied 'some day'. Would be cool to get a Charger to visit Ireland. Antonio Garay was the last one I know of, he was at a family members wedding on the west coast and we were all set to meet had he made it to Dublin but he never did. It was a flying visit for him in the end.

Very good of Melvin to do that while in London shows how good of an ambassador to the team he is, hopefully he gets going on the field now, I never watch Twitter to see what's going, must pay more attention to it in future,
    Would be great if someone came over, be great if Gates or Rivers someone that will have spent there whole career as a charger, but even the kit man might not come,

Howya lads... there is a lad on Twitter who was at the Melvin Gordon bowling event who is trying to organise a group of UK and Irish Chargers fans to meet up for our season opener v KC. It will be in London most probably, but Manchester has a chance too. Anybody fancy it? put faces to names/handles and meet other Charger fans this side of the big pond over a few beers?

It is a 6PM KO too which is nice. Also, the lads have identified 2 places that will defo have the Chargers at KC game on big screen for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Howya lads... there is a lad on Twitter who was at the Melvin Gordon bowling event who is trying to organise a group of UK and Irish Chargers fans to meet up for our season opener v KC. It will be in London most probably, but Manchester has a chance too. Anybody fancy it? put faces to names/handles and meet other Charger fans this side of the big pond over a few beers?

It is a 6PM KO too which is nice. Also, the lads have identified 2 places that will defo have the Chargers at KC game on big screen for us.

That's a pity I would have been up for Manchester but I've a wedding that weekend.

Would strongly doubt i'd get to this but keep us updated on the plans.

Cool thinking of Chargers fans meeting up like that

Great idea for a meet up, I wouldn't be able to make it that weekend a wedding,

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Hello all. Started to get the NFL itch there in recent days. Looking forward to an exciting season. Glad we are still in the Q for the time being.
    I would be on for a dublin meetup for some game. More realistic for me anyway.

Well guy's with only day's to training camp starting and pre-season the football drought is near over, just wondering what camp battles for roster spots or starting spots your looking forward to, or big story's your watching for, I'm looking forward to the battle at safety, the starting jobs are up for grabs and the back-up roles also, Addae and Lowery look like the starters at the minute, but stuckey and mccoil are not to far from there level, Phillips showed well towards the end of last season, McDonald has a good chance of making the roster has he seemed to make big impression on coaches in otas, also jatavis Brown is been talked up as a moneybacker in the last few day's in articles I've read, this could be a big camp battle with big knock affects for the defence which may hold us back or drive us to success,

Well guy's with only day's to training camp starting and pre-season the football drought is near over, just wondering what camp battles for roster spots or starting spots your looking forward to, or big story's your watching for, I'm looking forward to the battle at safety, the starting jobs are up for grabs and the back-up roles also, Addae and Lowery look like the starters at the minute, but stuckey and mccoil are not to far from there level, Phillips showed well towards the end of last season, McDonald has a good chance of making the roster has he seemed to make big impression on coaches in otas, also jatavis Brown is been talked up as a moneybacker in the last few day's in articles I've read, this could be a big camp battle with big knock affects for the defence which may hold us back or drive us to success,

I too am really looking forward to seeing what comes out at the safety spot. Addae is a full spirited give it 100% type of guy but he is not starting material for me. Hoping McCoil or Jatavis surprises alongside Lowery. Mager might be the future there too.

I'm most interested in seeing how well Rivers and Whisenhunt get this offense going. If Rivers and Benjamin get on the same page, Stevie improve we should be a real dangerous pass offense. I think Gordon will definitely be better this year and we have better TEs and FBs. It will all depend on the O-line how we perform.

On defense the safeties are the obvious question mark. If we stay healthy then we should be good.

Mebane is getting talked up lots as a big impact player but the Seahawks let him walk cheaply and there wasn't too many teams clamouring for him, i fear he may be over the hill and who knows how steep that fall off will be.
    I feel the same for Casey Hayward, everyone talks about him being a great slot corner but why was there such little interest in him? I'm happy to be wrong and see these two make major impacts but i'm not taking their impact as guaranteed

• Advertisement

I too am really looking forward to seeing what comes out at the safety spot. Addae is a full spirited give it 100% type of guy but he is not starting material for me. Hoping McCoil or Jatavis surprises alongside Lowery. Mager might be the future there too.

Hadn't thought of Mager as a safety, he could fit better at safety with his hard hitting play style, safety camp battle is wide open imo,

Bosa hold out starting tomorrow, the main beneficiary to this could be Darius Philon, he would get the majority of first team reps while bosa isn't there and could get head start on improving from his snaps last season as he looked decent in them

Advertisement