Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I dunno where to start lads..........

I'm watching the game last night and I'm feeling sorry for the likes of Melvin Gordon, a player working unbelievably hard, taking so much punishment for this organisation and he is still on the losing side. Bosa too.

Because the likes of Mager, Fluker, Benjamin, Franklin and Barksdale are indulged on this team by the pathetic ownership and coaching.

I thought it funny (in a sick way) how many were talking on Twitter about how we were going to hear today about McCoward getting an extension of 3-4 yrs, a bit like what the poor LA Rams fan heard yesterday about their muppet of a HC.

I've been full sure this was another wasted season long ago so another loss doesn't surprise me or piss me off massively. Like you Tripper I just want the best draft position we can get and hopefully see the back of McCoward and Whiz ASAP.

Philip calling timeout to prevent having to run the 3rd &1 call that Whiz sent in tells you all you need to know about him and what a tool he is. Never have I seen Philip so frustrated with the braintrust that is McCoward&Whiz. Both need to be gone...... but watch this dumb ownership procrastinate and in the end make the wrong call.

I must say I'm really surprised at lots in Acee's article re how brilliant we might be in 2017.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers/5v_jz09W7Ig

First off, not sure why, but he seems to be OK with us continuing with McCoward and is purporting that it might not matter who the HC is. For me that is downright ridiculous. I'd argue that they are doing what they are doing this year despite him and it's when he gets in the way that everything gets F'd up.

Then he talks about Jatavis Brown not having the 'knowledge' T'eo has. Perhaps Manti can be a teacher then i.e. off the field/in the classroom cos he sure as hell has nowhere near the impact Jatavis has on the field. I don't want Manti anywhere near the field ever again for SD.

There's even talk of Gates coming back cos he reckons we have a chance to win it all. In my opinion even though I love Gates, he's done after this year. Henry needs to start and play much much more not to mention giving Cumberland or even McGee a chance.

Crazy article in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like there is going to be a massive battle for QBs in the draft. Cleveland, 49ers, Bears and Jets all in the hunt. If we can manage to lose until the end of the season, we can get a good pick on another position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think the worry is that there isn't any great QB prospects in this draft. The media will create a top class prospect or two but you definitely won't have those 4 teams draft a QB in round 1.

I still want to beat the Raiders but beyond that i just want that high draft pick and McCoy gone

OAOB wrote: »
    I think the worry is that there isn't any great QB prospects in this draft. The media will create a top class prospect or two but you definitely won't have those 4 teams draft a QB in round 1.

I still want to beat the Raiders but beyond that i just want that high draft pick and McCoy gone

Was just about to say the same thing there are no franchise QBs in the 2017 draft. Of course having said that one could be picked in 6th round and become the next Tom Brady!!. Hope that is our pick!.

I know out O line is a disgrace and I want at least 3 of em gone for 2017 but Philip was shocking yesterday and has been really poor in the last few weeks. I hope it is just 'shell shock' and is temporary.

I think there are some good pieces on the D now though. Hayward has been lights out, Bosa is a stud and Perryman and Brown have really impressed (not to mention the returning Verrett and Mebane). Still need a safety though so we can see the back of 'no arms' Addae.

Draft needs to be about BEEF though. O line and pass rusher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭tripperman

I'm glad I swapped shifts so I could do my Madden draft tonight instead of being home to watch the game yesterday, as I would have had to buy a new t.v. and laptop, I know some well not be happy when I say this, but please IR Bosa and Gordon what's the point in risking rushing them back and doing serious damage to them if not fully fit for nothing,
    IMO THE BROWNS would even beat us were that bad lately, give me a top draft pick and waking up on Christmas day to hear McCoy got left in Cleveland for good

How many Browns fans have we got in here this week!?...

I am so #downwiththetank now it is unreal. For a couple of mins yesterday I was actually fearing we might win. I was pleased to see this McCoward led team give up yet another 4th quarter lead and finish the game with their franchise QB in desperation throwing a pick.

And to compound matters... not that Deano is capable of making a decision it looks very likely that this team is leaving and going to LA.

Many in SD are probably of the mind good riddance to terrible ownership.... the sad thing is that there may never again be NFL football down there. And with that might end 30 yrs of following this team.

RIP the lightning bolt.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    How many Browns fans have we got in here this week!?...

I am so #downwiththetank now it is unreal. For a couple of mins yesterday I was actually fearing we might win. I was pleased to see this McCoward led team give up yet another 4th quarter lead and finish the game with their franchise QB in desperation throwing a pick.

And to compound matters... not that Deano is capable of making a decision it looks very likely that this team is leaving and going to LA.

Many in SD are probably of the mind good riddance to terrible ownership.... the sad thing is that there may never again be NFL football down there. And with that might end 30 yrs of following this team.

RIP the lightning bolt.

I gave up watching at the end of the third quarter, early rise for work and had that same olde feeling all over again of the 4th quarter collapse, was strange watching a home game with so few home fan's, I'm predicting the Browns get there first win on Saturday and help us move into the top 5 hopefully and give a Christmas present of McCoy been sacked,

I'm just fed up with the whole relocation story now, just get it over and done with, I see the latest rumour is if they relocate a possible rebranding of the franchise, I'll still follow the team,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Firstly what happened yesterday was sad and also an absolute disgrace.

I've always had the opinion that SD sports fan base is poor and yesterday 100% confirmed that.

I know the people are dissapointed the Chargers might be leaving but to let what happened yesterday is a disgrace. I'm sure a lot of the players are happy to move to LA.

The city imo are to blame, yes Dean is cheap but the city have never made a big effort to keep the Chargers, or put a solid proposal together.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Philip call it a day if we move..

I'll definitely still follow them but would love if they stayed in SD of course

• Advertisement

Rivers looks so disillusioned. It has gotten to a stage where he's just airing the ball out instead of maybe taking a hit. I wouldn't blame him

There's an absolute stench surrounding this organisation and moving to LA won't get rid of it. There's an uncaring owner who has no passion for winning and no loyalty to the fans. There is no conviction to get better, mediocrity is accepted (and encouraged it seems) and dishonesty is evident everywhere.

If i still cared i'd have been furious about Deans comments that 50% of the vote would have meant they'd stay. That was a pointless lie aimed at blaming the city and making himself seem reasonable. BULL****!!!!

McCoy is a poor HC but is accepted. TT has built a very good roster and one more good off season would give this team one of the best rosters. The players look like they've been affected by the disregard within the organisation.

With a good HC this team could be a real contender but with this organisation there is no hope.

If i could change organisation i would but unfortunately i'm invested in this team. I don't blame the players, i don't blame TT. McCoy tries but just isn't capable, owners don't even try. Acceptance of mediocrity leads to fans not caring, threatening to abandon fans and treating them like **** means the fans shouldn't care.

Sorry about the rant but **** i hate how this has all unfolded and seeing good players never get their just reward

There's an absolute stench surrounding this organisation and moving to LA won't get rid of it. There's an uncaring owner who has no passion for winning and no loyalty to the fans. There is no conviction to get better, mediocrity is accepted (and encouraged it seems) and dishonesty is evident everywhere.

If i still cared i'd have been furious about Deans comments that 50% of the vote would have meant they'd stay. That was a pointless lie aimed at blaming the city and making himself seem reasonable. BULL****!!!!

McCoy is a poor HC but is accepted. TT has built a very good roster and one more good off season would give this team one of the best rosters. The players look like they've been affected by the disregard within the organisation.

With a good HC this team could be a real contender but with this organisation there is no hope.

If i could change organisation i would but unfortunately i'm invested in this team. I don't blame the players, i don't blame TT. McCoy tries but just isn't capable, owners don't even try. Acceptance of mediocrity leads to fans not caring, threatening to abandon fans and treating them like **** means the fans shouldn't care.

Sorry about the rant but **** i hate how this has all unfolded and seeing good players never get their just reward

Brilliant summation OAOB. Agree with pretty much all of it... although while McCoward might make it look like he tries I'm not sure he does. He is simply not cut out to be a HC/be a top of the tree leaderlike figure. In an office he is the guy who would deliver the mail to the desks. His writing of a note into that ****in notepad after we throw another pick makes me want to puke.

I'm starting to think about not following them to LA esp if they re-brand and leave the Chargers name behind them. I just can't follow a team led by these morons. Deanos daddy while still alive... were he 100% would absolutely hate what is going on right now. Deano is completely incompetent, it's amazing the dad entrusted him to take on the running of his ship.

tripperman wrote: »
    Disappointed to read these rumours again while the team's still playing,

No interest in L.A., personally San Diego is on my wish list to go see the team play at home there, but I'll support them where ever they play

If they are no longer the Chargers and Rivers retires before going to LA would you still follow them? I don't think I will...... after 30 ****in years invested.

The only good news is that McCoward said No when asked had he been extended.. His current deal runs to end 2017 season.

U have to think even John Spanos cannot F this one up. Fire his ass.

If they are no longer the Chargers and Rivers retires before going to LA would you still follow them? I don't think I will...... after 30 ****in years invested.

That's a great question, it's the player's and the past greats that I follow not the owners,

so if they rebrand the team, ie just wash away the history of LT and the greats from before I followed them and if gates and rivers retire (which wouldn't surprise me looking at how he's just gone off form since the failed vote) and then hire a loser like Jeff Fisher as HC,

well yeah it would make stop following them, it's not the same team anymore, your creating a new franchise of failure which is embarrassing, they need new owners, sell to Red Mccombs the Texas billionaire who wants a team in Austin or San Antonio his home area,

• Advertisement

The only good news is that McCoward said No when asked had he been extended.. His current deal runs to end 2017 season.

U have to think even John Spanos cannot F this one up. Fire his ass.

Don't be surprised he's a Spanos, specializing in failure and miss management is there forte

A report on bleacher report came out that McCoy will be fired come the end of the season thankfully

I hope they do leave the Charger brand behind them, they don't deserve it and they're better off making a completely fresh start.

I have hated the thought of them going to LA but couldn't see myself not supporting them. Now i'm not so sure

I think moving to LA will result in them being uncompetitive for a long time, ownership will concentrate on brand building than team building.

Just realised that a win against Cleveland this weekend would likely drop us from 7th to 12th in the draft, what a **** up it would be to win this.

Ironically if we do win Cleveland will likely get a higher second pick (traded from Eagles) so they have an incentive to lose to us

Just realised that a win against Cleveland this weekend would likely drop us from 7th to 12th in the draft, what a **** up it would be to win this.

Ironically if we do win Cleveland will likely get a higher second pick (traded from Eagles) so they have an incentive to lose to us

Go BROWNS!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it just wouldn't be the same team without "Chargers" and especially Rivers, who attracted me to them originally. I've been a certified Chargers fan since the 2008 play off win Against the Colts but this wont be the same team I had a soft spot for and then pledged my allegiance to that night.

Yeah, it just wouldn't be the same team without "Chargers" and especially Rivers, who attracted me to them originally. I've been a certified Chargers fan since the 2008 play off win Against the Colts but this wont be the same team I had a soft spot for and then pledged my allegiance to that night.

I'm afraid to say I go back as far as the late 80s, before internet!!!. I used listen to 'armed forces radio' on MW on Sunday nights to get my fix. Often I wouldn't know the score of a game until at the earliest the Monday evening edition of the Evening Press way back when.

So.... it's a hammer blow for me for them to leave SD and esp leave the Chargers name behind. I think that will be the end of my being a fan.

We had predicted that we would lose, this performance was a real Mike McCoy car crash can't wait for him to be gone, at least he gave us guaranteed a top 7/8 draft pick now, only bright spark for me was bosa, he is a great building block for the future

We had predicted that we would lose, this performance was a real Mike McCoy car crash can't wait for him to be gone, at least he gave us guaranteed a top 7/8 draft pick now, only bright spark for me was bosa, he is a great building block for the future

I haven't seen the game yet but delighted we lost since it should guarantee the end of that muppet and secure the 5&11 finish that I predicted haha. The good draft spot is great too.

I haven't seen the game yet but delighted we lost since it should guarantee the end of that muppet and secure the 5&11 finish that I predicted haha. The good draft spot is great too.

Don't ruin your Christmas day by watching it is my advice, it was awful, the draft pick is most important now, new coach and hopefully get another young player of the calibre of bosa to build up a great defence, had seen tweets this morning would McCoy get a flight home after been sacked like Bradley did, but no news of a sacking, must be someone's wishful thinking,

Happy Christmas to yous lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lads it's a shame to see the chargers fan base so pissed off.

The city of San Diego and the chargers should write a book titled "how to **** up a season in 16 simple steps."

It's up there with josh McDaniels one "how to nearly destroy a franchise in a year"

I was full sure we'd lose that game and i think its a perfect summary of how ****ed this organisation is. It's awful that i was happy about losing.

Anyway good draft spot, happy Christmas lads

Rex Ryan anybody? :D

I'd have him in a heartbeat

As defensive coordiantor maybe........ but no way as HC.

We need an enforcer on the D. Liuget is robbing us blind at this point operating at about 30% of what he could do with a rocket up his arse.

I'd like to see Todd Haley as HC.. he'd take no **** either. But to be honest I'd like to see a defensively minded HC now since the strength of the team in next couple of yrs could be the D. Someone like Sean McDermott maybe. Even Ron Rivera might be available and he would love to come back to SoCal I'm sure.

It's all v moot though if they are going to LA, I will start to care less and less. Not that I care a jot right now with the muppet they have as HC. I see he is still talking about how everybody is working their tails off and will play real hard Sunday.. Blow me McCoward you ****in moron.

No no no no no, I don't like the thought of him being anywhere near this tram, we're a big enough of a joke without bringing his circus in imo,

I'd like to see a defensive mind get the job to try and build up and get results with the talent on that side of the ball, I'd like if Teryl Austin got a look at the job, he's a great DC for the lions or an other great defensive mind Matt Patricia from the Pats,

• Advertisement

Game.... Don't care.

Absolutely chuffed Gates tied the record at least with the Chargers, if he decides to come back fantastic he'll break it with us or another team.

Only seen the highlights but thought Gates would have received a much better ovation from players and fans... But again I only seen highlights of the TD.

This final home game seemed a lot less emotional then last year.

Now we wait to see where we will play, who our GM and coaching staff will be, and then the draft.

What a day for the franchise, gates gets TD catch 111 to tie with Tony Gonzalez, Jets win to let us leap frog them to sixth overall pick in the draft and most importantly McCoy was fired, game was poor imo, but then imo the other point's makes up for it,

Am I alone in thinking TT deserves more time as GM, he did inherit a very old roster and has turned into one of the younger one's out there and with good young player's for most positions, true a few horribly wasted picks like fluker and teo and mager and Chris watt come to mind straight off,

Who would you guy's like to interviewed for the HC job/ or get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The chargers players were told this morning that regardless of whether the team is moving or not the team will hold off season workouts in San Diego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Don't mind telescope staying. Happy for a new coach. Matt Patricia is due to be interviewed. Not sure that would be a great hire

Well they made the right call on McCoy, not a good coach for us but best of luck to the man
    I presume the future of the rest of the coaches is up in the air until the new hire is made

Be interesting to see who they go for, think they need a hard ass and so i'd be inclined to go for a defensive coach.
    Patricia is supposedly very analytical and probably not someone i'd lean towards. I'd rather more passion in my coach but I do like how he looks and dresses like he doesn't give a ****, think we need a coach with that strong self confidence

Did you see next years opposition, seriously tough road games
    San Diego Chargers
    Home: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns

Away: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars

I stayed online after the game Sunday night (Twitter) and was listening to the post-game show. On Twitter I saw it announced he was fired it took a good 5 mins for that news to reach Judson and Na'il. It was amazing to hear them wonder about things and it had already happened. I was delighted.... he might be a decent man and all that but McCoward is simply not HC material period. Best of luck to him if he gets an Offensive assistant type job but good riddance.

All the other coaches are still in situ which is kinda mad. But u know the reason why.. they are all under contract and Spanos hates burning money (unlike in SF, $69m burned!, and we think our ownership is bad!, it is BTW). But one would have to imagine when the new HC is appointed all of em will be interviewing for their jobs. Having said that I am sure the new guy might have already lined up lads to bring in with him so we will be seeing a number depart no doubt about it. I'd like to see Whiz & Pags & Aukerman go regardless.

While I think we need to go towards the defensive side of the ball for HC.. I think the best candidate out there is Todd Haley. I'm not sure Patricia is what we need. Don't know a whole lot about Vance Joseph and would be shocked if we went 'minority candidate'... but I could see someone like him making a real difference in this locker room.

Like the idea of interviewing Matt Patrici may not be the best motivator but to get our defence scehmed properly could be interesting as he has done it for season's in New England,
    not liking the Vance Joesph idea, imo not enough experience as a defensive coordinator in the nfl, sure plenty of coaching experience, but he may have only been one year wonder in Miami as a DC,
    See alot of talk about ex falcon head coach Mike Smith, not sure on him just don't see him as the kinda guy to unite the locker room, if I remember correctly his final season in Atlanta was more know for team bust ups,
    I'm still thinking of Terly Austin the lions DC he has a no bulls##t attitude and improved that lions defence after losing some big names two years ago,

Like the idea of interviewing Matt Patrici may not be the best motivator but to get our defence scehmed properly could be interesting as he has done it for season's in New England,
    not liking the Vance Joesph idea, imo not enough experience as a defensive coordinator in the nfl, sure plenty of coaching experience, but he may have only been one year wonder in Miami as a DC,
    See alot of talk about ex falcon head coach Mike Smith, not sure on him just don't see him as the kinda guy to unite the locker room, if I remember correctly his final season in Atlanta was more know for team bust ups,
    I'm still thinking of Terly Austin the lions DC he has a no bulls##t attitude and improved that lions defence after losing some big names two years ago,

I'm also a big NO WAY to Mike Smith but he's the type of softie Deano would like, God help us. I must look at Teryl Austin... don't know a whole lot about him.

Need someone to come in and light a fire under Liuget's arse. The lad is stealing money.

Don't know too much about many of the candidates but listened to the podcast on BFTB last week and they gave their preferred choices.

Vance Joseph is intriguing to me, that defence has a lot of talent but they only started performing when he arrived. Apparently players love playing for him.

They made good points about Sean McDermott, the Panthers D has been no where as good this year but it's still ranked 11th in the NFL and that is after losing his 2 starting CBs and a lot of depth.

No to Mike Smith, he's an upgrade but he'll never lead a team to a superbowl. Smith would be a safe pair of hands and show us settling for mediocrity once more which is what Dean seems to like.

I know little about Todd Haley, his time with the Chiefs was poor but he's young enough to have learned the lessons from that experience.
    I know even less about Teryl Austin but that's a good defence they have up there

• Advertisement

Four men on Tuesday joined the list of known interview candidates to fill the Chargers’ head coach vacancy.

Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Smith, Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin form a list with Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.

Not a bad list if u ask me..... interesting that Austin and Smith both are 4-3 men.

Four men on Tuesday joined the list of known interview candidates to fill the Chargers’ head coach vacancy.

Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Smith, Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott and Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin form a list with Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.

Not a bad list if u ask me..... interesting that Austin and Smith both are 4-3 men.

Dean better not be a spa and just settle for Mike Smith, as that's just settling for more mediocrity time to aim for success, are all the guy's from defensive backgrounds not 4-3, I know Patricia is more hybrid defence, but a lot of 4-3 base defence I believe,

So we didn't actually get the sixth pick, buy still 7th overall in the draft could get us another Bosa calibre player for the roster,

Dean better not be a spa and just settle for Mike Smith, as that's just settling for more mediocrity time to aim for success, are all the guy's from defensive backgrounds not 4-3, I know Patricia is more hybrid defence, but a lot of 4-3 base defence I believe,

So we didn't actually get the sixth pick, buy still 7th overall in the draft could get us another Bosa calibre player for the roster,

You're right... while Joseph has seen alot of 3-4 he did run 4-3 in Miami as did McDermott in Carolina....

Yes picking 7th is correct.

You're right... while Joseph has seen alot of 3-4 he did run 4-3 in Miami as did McDermott in Carolina....

Yes picking 7th is correct.

When you look at the defensive personnel we have maybe a scheme change would be a good thing to help improve the defence, but all depends on who's hired

I'd imagine Vance Josephs stock took a bit of a plummet last nite. Havign said that I read that the Broncos are gagging for him and might appoint him as early as tomorrow.

We've met with 4 so far.... of the guys we've met I'd like it to be McDermott.

I'd imagine Vance Josephs stock took a bit of a plummet last nite. Havign said that I read that the Broncos are gagging for him and might appoint him as early as tomorrow.

We've met with 4 so far.... of the guys we've met I'd like it to be McDermott.

I'm most interested in Matt Patricia so far, waiting for the first round of interviews to finish to see if any late surprise candidate's get interviewed, Patricia and Austin both getting a bit of Twitter backing over the weekend, I just hope it's not Mike Smith,

• Advertisement

Vance Joseph left Denver without agreeing to a contract which is apparently a surprise... and is meeting SD brass today in SD.

With McDermott going to Buffalo, for me it is down to Toub, Patricia or Joseph. I'd be happy with either of the first 2. I don't want Mike Smith and he is still in the running.

Joseph will be the 7th guy they've met.

Toub, Patricia, Smith, Lynn, Austin, McDermott and Joseph being the 'magnificient 7'.

In other news all the rumours now are that they will stay in SD for 2 more yrs working to get a new stadium deal done.

I'm leaning towards Toub more and more. They're being quite detailed in their search and interviewing all the top candidates which is good to see. Would love an appointment soon but better to be thorough i guess.
    From the looks of it the candidates are going to let the teams make the offer and they'll decide what their best option is.

I've been seeing these SD rumours, kinda seems like the city might have called Spanos's bluff. If they are to stay they'd want to get an agreement done quickly, the longer this stays in limbo the more damage is being done

What do you guys think we should do with Melving Ingram? Think i'd offer him 5 years, €60m and if he turns it down let him walk. Definitely wouldn't franchise him, think he'd refuse to play in case he gets injured and in fairness i think that's understandable.
    With the money we potentially save we could get a few FA and go pass rusher at no.7. Haven't done much draft research but i hear there's some good pass rushers in it and at no.7 we should be able to get the second best (behind Garrett)

Our big problem this off season with the roster is the draft and FA are below par for O-line which is our big need. Beyond that i think we try get a Safety and OLB in FA. Would be great to see Attouchu get back on track

I'm leaning towards Toub more and more. They're being quite detailed in their search and interviewing all the top candidates which is good to see. Would love an appointment soon but better to be thorough i guess.
    From the looks of it the candidates are going to let the teams make the offer and they'll decide what their best option is.

I've been seeing these SD rumours, kinda seems like the city might have called Spanos's bluff. If they are to stay they'd want to get an agreement done quickly, the longer this stays in limbo the more damage is being done

What do you guys think we should do with Melving Ingram? Think i'd offer him 5 years, €60m and if he turns it down let him walk. Definitely wouldn't franchise him, think he'd refuse to play in case he gets injured and in fairness i think that's understandable.
    With the money we potentially save we could get a few FA and go pass rusher at no.7. Haven't done much draft research but i hear there's some good pass rushers in it and at no.7 we should be able to get the second best (behind Garrett)

Our big problem this off season with the roster is the draft and FA are below par for O-line which is our big need. Beyond that i think we try get a Safety and OLB in FA. Would be great to see Attouchu get back on track

I'd be surprised to see Melvin go for $60m, but it might come down to guaranteed $ at the end of the day anyway. Like you said might he become Donald Butler II? franchising him would piss him off yes. Either way bringing him back (for me) might not be worth the risk.

As for pick #7 all I'm hearing talked about is Derek Barnett... who is a pass rusher. But only because the value on O line is not there at pick #7. O line round 2.

Agree on Attaochu... hope he gets his act together.

I'd have no faith in Ingram staying motivated once the deal is done, at least not in SD. I'm all for keeping our own players but there's a good few warning signs with Ingram.
    We're a better team with him but not sure if we can take the risk and tie ourselves into him for the next 4or5 years

Melvin has performed at a very high level, he pressures the QB constantly, not sure exactly why this isn't translating into sacks.

I think we have to sign him, we've built a really nice defence and like it or not he is a key piece of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement