Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Leslie91 wrote: »

In other news all the rumours now are that they will stay in SD for 2 more yrs working to get a new stadium deal done.

ESPN reports an LA move to be announced as soon as Thursday.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18455802/chargers-expected-announce-move-san-diego-los-angeles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭tripperman

Wow things are changing by the day, yesterday we were staying in San Diego, this morning were moving to L.A., not confirmed and to be honest I think there's more going on with this and it will drag on till Tuesdayy,
    Vance Joseph and Sean McDermott both hired, leaves us with Lynn, Toub, Smith, Patricia and Austin, I prefer the last two, at least there doing a detailed search, hopefully they get it right,

I think 60/65 million is all that Ingram should be offered, his production doesn't warrant anymore and I really do fear him going like butler and just taking the money and playing like crap, predicting who would be a good replacement in the draft depends on who the new coach, but Alabama olb Tim Williams and Derrick Barnett are good options, but safety is loaded, both Adams from lsu or bosa old teammate hooker, he reminds me alot of weddle, and depending on combine could be great options to get to create a top end db group with Verrett and Hayward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Melvin has performed at a very high level, he pressures the QB constantly, not sure exactly why this isn't translating into sacks.

I think we have to sign him, we've built a really nice defence and like it or not he is a key piece of it.

That's the big knock on Ingrams play, he doesn't finish. He could have twice as many sacks if he actually finished plays. QB pressures are good but against top QBs (think Aaron Rodgers) you either sack them or they'll make plays on you. I really like Ingram but to pay him as probably a top 5 pass rusher in the league is overpaying. When you add it to the questions around his attitude then it becomes an extremely high risk investment.
    I would think we'd be better off chasing DE Calais Campbell in FA or if a miracle happened and Eric Berry wasn't signed make a big push for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Vance Joseph left Denver without agreeing to a contract which is apparently a surprise... and is meeting SD brass today in SD.

With McDermott going to Buffalo, for me it is down to Toub, Patricia or Joseph. I'd be happy with either of the first 2. I don't want Mike Smith and he is still in the running.

Joseph will be the 7th guy they've met.

Toub, Patricia, Smith, Lynn, Austin, McDermott and Joseph being the 'magnificient 7'.

In other news all the rumours now are that they will stay in SD for 2 more yrs working to get a new stadium deal done.

Somebody had reported Joseph had left Denver and was going to SD... they were obviously wrong... I figured Elway wanted him bad and has got him. They still don't have a QB though.

gufc21 wrote: »

It is amazing how these idiots who own the team operate thru leaks to the media. Simply incredible.

Like Tripper said one minute the media are 'hearing' they are staying and the next minute another media person tweets they've decided they are going to LA. You'd think a properly run (which this isn't) organisation would deliver this news to the world directly and stop with the smoke and mirrors.

It's a joke because the team will die in LA, will have little or no fanbase and SD will never want to see them back. All bridges will have been burned.. for what...... billionaires wanting more money. It is disgusting the greed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So will you guys continue your support of the Chargers in LA?

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm not sure I will... The cluster**** over the last 3-4 yrs about them moving/not moving/keeping McCoward way too long has me totally indifferent.

This year I couldn't have cared less how a game was going... whether we blew it or not. The reason being I knew at the start of the 2015 season that this coach was a moron and things were only going to become a pile of **** with him at the helm. Instead of firing him (at the latest) in Jan 2016 they kept him and things got worse as I had predicted.

What I loved about the SD Chargers has been slowly dying since Deano took over. He is completely incompetent. I started following this team when Air Coryell was in its heyday right thru to Bobby Ross, LT and now Rivers. It often seemed that the team prospered despite the owners even though they did their best to F it up.

Witness firing Marty S after a 14 and 2 season but keeping Norv and McCoward for too long... All in all it is a total shambles. I'll miss being in SD to watch the team I followed for so long... I don't think I will be bothering going to see them in LA... like the 1000s who will be wondering why the F they are there... LA will not support this team.. it will be a joke.

Hope the city of SD ala Cleveland gets to keep the Chargers moniker however and these morons can move to LA and become the LA ****tards or whatever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I smell a chance to trade out of the number 2 pick if Rivers wants out of this situation!

I smell a chance to trade out of the number 2 pick if Rivers wants out of this situation!

You mean you'd give the Chargers the #2 pick for Rivers?... I don't think that would be enough for them to let him go to SF. Rivers has a no trade clause in his contract too. Mind you were he to hate the idea of moving to LA (there has been no indication that this is the case) he might relax that clause.

No, I'm thinking Rivers wants out if the team goes to LA and the chargers would then need a QB, hence a possible trade for the number 2 pick for a mediocre QB. Similar to LA last season.

I don't think the 49ers would trade for rivers.

• Advertisement

No, I'm thinking Rivers wants out if the team goes to LA and the chargers would then need a QB, hence a possible trade for the number 2 pick for a mediocre QB. Similar to LA last season.

I don't think the 49ers would trade for rivers.

Ah... no chance..... like I said no indication Rivers would want out. And even if he did there isn't a QB in this draft worth moving up from #7 for imho. They will stay put if Barnett is there and maybe even trade down if he is gone.

I thought Rivers has said he doesn't want to stay if the team moves to LA?

I thought Rivers has said he doesn't want to stay if the team moves to LA?

Nah... alot of that was BS. In Aug 2015 after he signed the extension he said the below;

"Unless something changes upstairs, I'm going to be a Charger wherever we are," he said. "I'm just very thankful and really honored that I'm going to continue to be the quarterback here."

He also said;

"How I felt at the beginning, I think, could have been misinterpreted,” said Rivers, who also made it clear he was not misquoted. “My lack of excitement was more about leaving this community, not a disdain for Los Angeles."

The move sucks but i'd probably still support the team. My issue is how the owners have treated the fans and city like dirt through this whole process and haven't an iota of respect for anyone or remorse for the hurt they're causing.

The move wouldn't make me not support them but the owners would. As it stands i'm not sure what i'll do, there's players on the roster i could never cheer against. I think if i was to stop supporting them i'd probably not really watch the NFL for a while, make a clean break and comeback after a year or two and see if there's another team that i connect to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think it's a bad call by the chargers. The Rams situation was different, they had fans waiting for them to return to the city after twenty years. The chargers don't have that.

I think this mess with the chargers owners and the league and San Diego might be a watershed moment for cities who for years have had to pony up millions of dollars because that was the blueprint. The NFL is a multi billion dollar organisation for this very reason, it doesn't have to pay much for new stadiums.

Would this example not be held against cities from now on; build us a stadium or we move!!! Chargers did it and we will too

OAOB wrote: »
    Would this example not be held against cities from now on; build us a stadium or we move!!! Chargers did it and we will too

It's don't think so. The league is very careful in regards to PR and they won't want to be seen to be blackmailing cities in regards to stadiums. In some markets it might be cities it might be them not wanting to spend money they have but with San Diego and certainly Oakland it's a case of not having the money to spend.

Jaysus now they are saying they will even show a new logo today!!!. Unreal.

New Chargers logo will feature letters LA, arranged similarly to Dodgers logo. Lightning bolt instead of horizontal lining in two letters.

It is done............. over............... they are gone to LA.

Still can't believe it.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/819575906196824065

Sorry to the chargers fans but they've changed the name already. I feel sorry for the charger fans on this forum who from what ive read were very passionate about the team.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/chargers/status/819575906196824065

Sorry to the chargers fans but they've changed the name already. I feel sorry for the charger fans on this forum who from what ive read were very passionate about the team.

Tx man............. today is a v bad day.

Tx man............. today is a v bad day.

It's the wrong move plain and simple. I'm a huge history guy and the chargers had history in San Diego, they don't in LA bar their first year in the AFL. The chargers actually left LA partly because the Rams were such a popular team in LA.

I think the NFL will regret allowing this to happen. Dean spanos is the art modell of the west coast now.

Wow I've never been kicked so hard in the gut, I can't believe this is happening,
    I really thought it was a smoke screen, to get more money from the nfl and rams to bridge the gap and build in San Diego,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are moving to the LA Galaxy's stadium apparently. Capacity 30,000. Might not be the worst thing in the world since they'll probably beat the blackout rules, with the Rams consistently failing.

This will be a disaster, unless the long term goal is Vegas, London or Mexico.

I'm just gutted, how can we be expected to support this team now.

I just hope they trade Rivers, he deserves a chance with a better organisation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Gutted for the SD Chargers fans; can only imagine how I'd feel if it happened to the Pats.
    Just need Rivers to state he hates the move and retires/wants-a-trade to stick it to Spanos. I've stayed in both cities, San Diego is amazing and far nicer than LA.

"After much deliberation......", BS.

Yep my brother was in both places last summer and I asked him which he'd prefer and without thinking he said San Diego. He even said he'd live there.

Also I hope they didn't pay someone money to come up with that logo. They basically changed the la dodgers logo.

What a mess and a sad day for San Diego and one the NFL will regret as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As a Rams fan, I sympathise.

Also I hope they didn't pay someone money to come up with that logo. They basically changed the la dodgers logo.

What a mess and a sad day for San Diego and one the NFL will regret as I said.

That ****ty logo tells u all u need to know about this owner... A complete and utter tool. In a few weeks people might start to realise that... that it was a waste of time anyway while this spanner owned the franchise.

If Vegas wasn't so keen and I am mayor of SD I'd give Mark Davis a call now. There's as many Raider fans in SoCal as there are Charger fans. I'd support the SD Raiders if it came to pass.

It is all about 'America's finest city' for me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Jofspring

When you hear of teams moving like this it just gives you this feeling that you'd love to see them fail. I've nothing against the chargers or their fans but the city, town, people etc.. that a team represents is what sport is all about. Uprooting teams and shifting them around just kills any history they have and it's awful to see.

Who changed the thread name?... Can we have it read just "Chargers Thread" for a while? I don't want to see the LA name there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Who changed the thread name?... Can we have it read just "Chargers Thread" for a while? I don't want to see the LA name there.

That was me... :pac:

I'll leave it as just the Charger thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Tom1991

A pats fan since I j1'd in Boston but fell in love with San Diego after a later j1 there and always looked out for chargers results and Rivers is a legend.gutted for the people of San Diego that were fans but that city is as close to heaven as it gets.shame to see them run down the last couple years.But I'm glad the city didn't bend on it the NFL is full of money and shouldn't be poormouthing to the tax payers.Can see this la thing fading in a few years anyway and them going back with their tails between there legs.La can't sustain two pro teams in each national sport and two massive college football teams.

That was me... :pac:

I'll leave it as just the Charger thread

Thanks Heli.......... will take us all a while to get over this.

NFL commissioner statement.

“For more than a decade, the San Diego Chargers have worked diligently toward finding a local stadium solution, which all sides agreed was required. These efforts took on added intensity in the last two years. A year ago, NFL owners granted the Chargers an option to move to Los Angeles. Rather than immediately exercising that option, the team spent the past year continuing to work on finding a stadium solution in San Diego.

“The Chargers worked tirelessly this past year with local officials and community leaders on a ballot initiative that fell short on election day. That work – and the years of effort that preceded it – reflects our strongly held belief we always should do everything we can to keep a franchise in its community. That’s why we have a deliberate and thoughtful process for making these decisions.

“Relocation is painful for teams and communities. It is especially painful for fans, and the fans in San Diego have given the Chargers strong and loyal support for more than 50 years, which makes it even more disappointing that we could not solve the stadium issue. As difficult as the news is for Charger fans, I know Dean Spanos and his family did everything they could to try to find a viable solution in San Diego.”

I'm sure there are some chargers fans who would disagree with some parts of the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

They are moving to the LA Galaxy's stadium apparently........

This will be a disaster, unless the long term goal is Vegas, London or Mexico.

I think the Raiders have Vegas sewn up if anyone is moving there and the Jaguars have the inside track on London, so that leaves Mexico or St Louis(who were prepared to build a new stadium/upgrade the existing stadium to keep the Rams and so might be in the market for a team).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

At the start, I thought I wasn't going to be too bothered. When it all, turned into a real possibility, that all changed.

I was devastated, I can only imagine what the people of SD feel like.

LT talked a lot of sense on NFL network, I agree with him 100%

I'm all in with the Chargers, I'm one of the few who doesn't lay all the blame at Dean.

Its a real shame, but it'll be nice to see the Chargers play in front of a full stadium next year.
    This is a team on the verge of the playoffs imo, it'll be interesting to see the new stadium attendances, each week between ourselves and the Rams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm sure there are some chargers fans who would disagree with some parts of the statement.
    I stopped reading at "NFL commissioner statement.".

At the start, I thought I wasn't going to be too bothered. When it all, turned into a real possibility, that all changed.

I was devastated, I can only imagine what the people of SD feel like.

LT talked a lot of sense on NFL network, I agree with him 100%

I'm all in with the Chargers, I'm one of the few who doesn't lay all the blame at Dean.

Its a real shame, but it'll be nice to see the Chargers play in front of a full stadium next year.
    This is a team on the verge of the playoffs imo, it'll be interesting to see the new stadium attendances, each week between ourselves and the Rams.

That 'full' stadium won't have many 'Charger' fans in it though. Each game will be an away game... just watch.

• Advertisement

Absolutely loved the piss taking by so many sports teams last nite on Twitter changing their logo, some to get a 'bit of a lightning bolt' into them, some just trolling... Feckin hilarious. Loved it.

FU Spanos family.

I got a bit stick for saying on another forum we would only fill the stub hub when we play the raiders, many people were dumping stuff at chargers park last night, deano better not be expecting a warm welcome in San Diego ever again,

In other news it seemed we had requested a second interview with Matt Patricia yesterday before relocation or after I can't rightly recall now and this morning I read Anthony Lynn is to get the job with Gus Bradley as DC and Whiz staying as OC, I'm not sure on Lynn to be honest, offensive minded guy sure when he was with Bill's they had top ten run game, so maybe Gordon is in for the LT workload next season on,

I was hoping for Patricia but maybe it's better for him to stay with Bill and give this job a miss,

I'm trying to give a **** about the supposed Head Coaching hire.... but just can't.

Listening to hour 3 of Hardwick&Richards from yesterday... it's quite therapeutic.

That burning of the jerseys imo was extremely childish. The players didn't choose to leave.

Way I see it is, there just wasn't enough public support for a SD team. 42% of the vote is something you can't work with.

Its a huge pity, and when I go see the chargers play in LA, I'll more then likely commute to LA from SD. It's meant to be ana amazing city and can't wait to get to see it.

Have to say the new stadium looks absolutely amazing, first time I payed attention to it.

Also thinking of going to see them next year against the Giants in MetLife, which as a stadium experience is a bit underwhelming for a new stadium.

That burning of the jerseys imo was extremely childish. The players didn't choose to leave.

Way I see it is, there just wasn't enough public support for a SD team. 42% of the vote is something you can't work with.

Its a huge pity, and when I go see the chargers play in LA, I'll more then likely commute to LA from SD. It's meant to be ana amazing city and can't wait to get to see it.

Have to say the new stadium looks absolutely amazing, first time I payed attention to it.

Also thinking of going to see them next year against the Giants in MetLife, which as a stadium experience is a bit underwhelming for a new stadium.

Just wondering... what do you reckon still connects you to them as the LA Chargers? is it that some of the players you've liked/followed/supported will be playing for them?

For me I'm thinking it was all about them representing SD as a city... and this ownership has rubbed lots of salt in the wounds in the last 24hrs. So much so I don't believe I can follow/support them now that they are gone.... but it's early days and I am still in shock...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I am now a Philip Rivers supporter - not a Chargers supporter. As soon as he leaves I'll have no attachment to them.

Two seasons playing home games in a stadium the size of O'Moore Park in Portlaoise... Well at least there might be a bit less black and silver and orange in the crowd.

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    I am now a Philip Rivers supporter - not a Chargers supporter. As soon as he leaves I'll have no attachment to them.

Two seasons playing home games in a stadium the size of O'Moore Park in Portlaoise... Well at least there might be a bit less black and silver and orange in the crowd.

Wanna bet....... wait til u see the Raider game in particular. It will be wall to wall silver n black.

Like many have said... Raiders will be first NFL team to have 9 home games.

It's the players.. And I mean past and present.

I cannot cheer against these players, even the young guys like Verrett, Bosa, Luiget Perryman Bosa etc

I'm also one of the few that does not lie the blame all on Spanos doorstep, I blame the city officials Spanos and also the fans.

If you think about it rationally, Spanos eventually had to make a decision, and from what I've read and seen, LA was his only viable option at the minute.

That doesn't mean I think Spanos is a good owner, because I think he's a dreadful one,but I don't lie all the blame with him.

I cannot cheer against these players, even the young guys like Verrett, Bosa, Luiget Perryman Bosa etc

I'm also one of the few that does not lie the blame all on Spanos doorstep, I blame the city officials Spanos and also the fans.

If you think about it rationally, Spanos eventually had to make a decision, and from what I've read and seen, LA was his only viable option at the minute.

That doesn't mean I think Spanos is a good owner, because I think he's a dreadful one,but I don't lie all the blame with him.

I don't blame the fans... the way this ownership has 'treated them' in the last few yrs has been terrible. From sticking with the **** cheap head coaches for too long, for not signing the likes of Bosa (&more) on time and the failed attempt at running away to Carson with the Raiders, then coming back tail between legs to run the vote.

It was no shock to me that the vote got 43%.

City officials are culpable too Yes but most of the blame here is on the greed of an already very wealthy bollix that is Deano.

• Advertisement

It's early for me to say I'll fully support them, as the whole thing is just very raw still, I'm supporting the player's Rivers Gates Keenan in particular, but looking at the potential of guy's like Gordon, Henry, Jatavis, Denzel, BOSA makes me want to rout for them just to give the two fingers to the spanos family,

I give blame to the Spanos family(dean in particular), the City officials, the Nfl for not been more assertive and helping the city since it wants the team to stay in San Diego, all parties carry equal blame for me,

Advertisement