Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Do you know what the situation is with the branding/history/team colours etc...is it a Baltimore/Indianapolis situation (they took over the history, uniforms etc) or a Cleveland/Baltimore situation (Cleveland retained the colours/team history etc)

Sorry, I always seem to be going on about uniforms (just the chargers ones are especially iconic imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Spanos the owner has said everything will stay the same.

Now the City of San Diego could bring a lawsuit against the Spanos family to retain the name in San Diego.

But for the time being, everything is staying the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

AFAIK they plan to bring the 'Chargers' name with them. But that they plan to rebrand (still being the Chargers) before the 2018 season. This could mean a change in team colors, uniform and helmet/logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

It's completely mad really, moving a team to a community that does not want them, no historical connection, that already has a new(ish) team, lots of legacy Raider fans.....and that's going to double the value of the team apparently.

Between losing the Seahawks, the LA Raiders becoming the Oakland Raiders and now San Diego becoming the LA Chargers, the AFC West looks a lot different since I've followed it.

poldebruin wrote: »
    It's completely mad really, moving a team to a community that does not want them, no historical connection, that already has a new(ish) team, lots of legacy Raider fans.....and that's going to double the value of the team apparently.

Between losing the Seahawks, the LA Raiders becoming the Oakland Raiders and now San Diego becoming the LA Chargers, the AFC West looks a lot different since I've followed it.

It sure is mad... but unfortunately all the NFL cares about is money and making as much of it as possible. They believe that moving to LA is more profitable than staying... having said that I'll be watching with interest to see is this the case I'm not sure it is/will come to pass.

Like you it took me a while to get over the fact that the Seahawks left the division and went to the NFC. But this... I might never get over.

• Advertisement

If nothing else the charade that is this ownership trying to ingratiate itself in LA is giving me plenty of laughs...

First we had the logo fiasco... then the word gets out that Pagano is gone but he's still there (he will be gone mind you), then the new HC in LA tells the world how delighted he is to be the HC of the San Diego eh Los Angeles Chargers... oooops.... to yesterday when the Chargers went rent a crowd to get people to attend the 'rally'. Seriously apparently lads were 'cast' to go and pretend to be Chargers fans.

Jeeeez how I feel for some of the players playing under these muppet owners.

God willing they will sell and a proper owner will do things properly some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭tripperman

Leslie91 wrote: »
    If nothing else the charade that is this ownership trying to ingratiate itself in LA is giving me plenty of laughs...

First we had the logo fiasco... then the word gets out that Pagano is gone but he's still there (he will be gone mind you), then the new HC in LA tells the world how delighted he is to be the HC of the San Diego eh Los Angeles Chargers... oooops.... to yesterday when the Chargers went rent a crowd to get people to attend the 'rally'. Seriously apparently lads were 'cast' to go and pretend to be Chargers fans.

Jeeeez how I feel for some of the players playing under these muppet owners.

God willing they will see and a proper owner will do things properly some day.

Don't forget that awkward as hell thing with rivers and bosa on some chat show, they didn't seem comfortable been there, I seen pictures of people at that welcome ceremony yesterday and the tags still on Gordon's jersey,

pagno is gone he found out on social media apparently, read some where that mebane didn't know the chargers moved till a friend text him "I'll vist you in L.A.you can show me around".
    Anyone got a spare 5 billion just laying around there so you can buy them,

FU Deano............

#stillnotoverit

Deadline for tagging player's tomorrow and we tagged Melvin last night, it makes sense to see how he fits in the new scheme Bradley wants to run and with his injury history before doing a long-term deal, but it takes a good bit of our cap space away, so I expect to see a few cap space casualties this week or after the combine ahead of FA opening on the 9th of March

Combine this week is important for us with the number 7 pick, a few player's I'm looking forward to seeing, some I'd like to see drafted by us others just to see how they do, Jamal Adams, TJ Watt, Tyler Moton, Gareth Bolles, Cooper Kupp, Mike Williams, pat mahomes, Barnett, Glasgow, just a few to name there's more, but generally guys that might have value on day 3 to improve the oline or receiver or cb to replace flowers and mager

I was wondering when this thread might come alive again... I'm still not over the move and have taken a big back seat when it comes to the Chargers since January... didn't know #54 was tagged until Tripper's post. I don't think I can give them my support in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'm the same as you Leslie, haven't read an article about them since the move. Genuinely don't want to be involved in the same team as the Spanos'. I hate that they left SD but LA isn't the reason i'm not supporting them. If the team was sold i'd come back.

It's a shame as i think Gus Bradley will do something serious with this defence.

Was looking around at other teams, i honestly think if i was to support anyone else it'd be Cleveland. They're a crap organisation but at least they're crap at football, it's nice to be away from the Chargers drama where football took a backseat to business

I hadn't read any chargers news till the weekend, I'm still not happy about the move, but I'll still support them because of River's Gate's, I did look at other team's like the Browns, saints, buccs, bills, jaguars, titans, cardinals, 49ers, but it didn't just seem right for me to follow them,

I don't think I can 'follow' a new team... certainly not like I did the Chargers for 30yrs. With the Chargers football appears to have ALWAYS taken a back seat to GREED.

Check out that bastard's ticket prices in Stubhub.

While they might sell all the tickets at the highest average price in the league, one would think lots of goodwill would be built to start by not ripping off the ticket buyers. Not a chance... that family disgusts me.

I don't think I can 'follow' a new team... certainly not like I did the Chargers for 30yrs. With the Chargers football appears to have ALWAYS taken a back seat to GREED.

Check out that bastard's ticket prices in Stubhub.

While they might sell all the tickets at the highest average price in the league, one would think lots of goodwill would be built to start by not ripping off the ticket buyers. Not a chance... that family disgusts me.

Isn't the stadium capacity like 30,000 so travelling team fans will probably take up half of that.
    Doubt there'll be too many hometown fans at the start but if they start well the fickle LA fans will flock to them.

Just to say that i really enjoyed talking all things Chargers with you guys over the last few years. Mad to think this thread was the second most popular team thread on here, shows how much we cared.
    A lot more lows than highs unfortunately but they were our team and we'd a good group of supporters here.

With the void left here in our little community I can only imagine what the city of SD must be going through. It's sad and upsetting to think about it. No supporter should ever have their team taken from them.

At the moment following the NFL feels a bit like trying to be friends with an ex after she cheated on you

OAOB wrote: »
    Just to say that i really enjoyed talking all things Chargers with you guys over the last few years. Mad to think this thread was the second most popular team thread on here, shows how much we cared.
    A lot more lows than highs unfortunately but they were our team and we'd a good group of supporters here.

With the void left here in our little community I can only imagine what the city of SD must be going through. It's sad and upsetting to think about it. No supporter should ever have their team taken from them.

At the moment following the NFL feels a bit like trying to be friends with an ex after she cheated on you

Could not agree more OAOB.... like you I was amazed and v proud to see our thread become so popular. It really is a strange feeling not caring as much or at least being angry at seeing Chargers news now. I've even stopped subscribing to quite a few of the Chargers radio guys podcasts. The only one I drop in and out of now is Darren Smith the rest can FO. But Darren is all baseball now, he is as angry as many about what has happened.

To cap it all off I now hear LT is taking some sort of front office role with those bastards. Amazing if the truth be told... LT might have talked a good game when it came to SD but doing something like this after those morons dumped you unceremoniously is a knife to the heart of the SD fan imho. It is not like he needs their dirty money.

Odd but any interest in the draft?

No idea where we are going with the 7th pick but DBs look stacked

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Odd but any interest in the draft?

No idea where we are going with the 7th pick but DBs look stacked

Not only is the DBS stacked but the whole Defensive side of the draft is packed with the most talent in year's,

Still no idea where we go either till we see who's brought back and who's targeted in fa

First time in years I didn't watch 1 min of the combine.... so very ****in sad.

Dj Fluker just got released, about time should have happened long ago, I expect more releases shortly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Flowers and Stevie Johnson gone too. Liuget and Dunlap restructured would be good. Broncos want Woodhead. Would hate that. Would like him back.

We've also been linked with Robert Woods which I like a lot.

Them moves today made sense and happy they where made. Stevie couldn't stay healthy and Flowers will hopefully retire for his own health.

Not bad moves at all freeing up 20 million cap space, I think TJ Lang could be a possible target, not a bad addition to the oline imo,

did I read somewhere that there was liguets contract got reconstructed??

Resigned Jahleel Addea to four year 22million contract, imo it's over priced for someone who play's so reckless that he can't play a whole season just imo, still see us drafting a safety in the draft, Mike Windt resigned think that's more for consistency with kaiser and lambo then anything,

Sad to see Woodhead leave and join the ravens, I liked him thought he was a good player to keep round to help rivers, but then injuries count against him, suppose take a punt on a young guy late in the draft since RB is loaded in this draft,

Only rumours I heard are of Russell Okung possible been brought in to replace King Dunlap, I thought I saw something late last that front office had broken the rules in speaking to his agent before today's opening since he's not officially a NFL registered agent, but not a sign of it now must have been bogus Twitter that caught me on that one

tripperman wrote: »
    Resigned Jahleel Addea to four year 22million contract, imo it's over priced for someone who play's so reckless that he can't play a whole season just imo, still see us drafting a safety in the draft, Mike Windt resigned think that's more for consistency with kaiser and lambo then anything,

Sad to see Woodhead leave and join the ravens, I liked him thought he was a good player to keep round to help rivers, but then injuries count against him, suppose take a punt on a young guy late in the draft since RB is loaded in this draft,

Only rumours I heard are of Russell Okung possible been brought in to replace King Dunlap, I thought I saw something late last that front office had broken the rules in speaking to his agent before today's opening since he's not officially a NFL registered agent, but not a sign of it now must have been bogus Twitter that caught me on that one

After a good start in terms of getting rid of the dead & expensive wood good to see the Dolts get back to normal... bringing back "no arms/won't tackle & oft concussed" Addae for way too much imho and letting Woodhead go, it seems, relatively easily.

I too saw something about tapping up Okung's agent.... may they fine Deano millions for it.

#FUSpanos

Tom Telesco must have been feeling unwell because IMO he just overpaid Russell Okung, I don't think he's much better than King Dunlap

Tom Telesco must have been feeling unwell because IMO he just overpaid Russell Okung, I don't think he's much better than King Dunlap

So many average to poor players Okung included got well overpaid yesterday....

#FUSpanos

Don't think we overpaid at all.

We fot a starting LT on a one year deal of we please as we only paid him 12m guaranteed in the first year.

King was going to be expensive this year and also his body is breaking down.

But as Leslie said, average players get paid.

Don't think we overpaid at all.

We fot a starting LT on a one year deal of we please as we only paid him 12m guaranteed in the first year.

King was going to be expensive this year and also his body is breaking down.

But as Leslie said, average players get paid.

I read he got $25m guaranteed... ($10m signing and $3m yr1 and $12m yr 2 all guaranteed) and he might only be a 1 season player... I think it was stupid money to pay a below average Tackle. But I'm all for Spanos blowing his money on drivel.

#Fhim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Dj Fluker just got released, about time should have happened long ago, I expect more releases shortly

So whats the story with Fluker? Giants picked him up on a 1 year $3 million deal. Any chance he could develop into a starter (we're desperate!!)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    So whats the story with Fluker? Giants picked him up on a 1 year $3 million deal. Any chance he could develop into a starter (we're desperate!!)

He played right Tackle when he came in first and surprisingly did OK. In fact he outplayed the other O linemen taken ahead of him in his rookie year, there were 5 picked ahead of him!!. But that was as good as it got. He's regressed every year since. He is a huge human being and has gotten slower and slower, and not just physically. He was moved inside to Guard where the organisation thought his inability to move might be mitigated against, but he was as bad there.

He's a good guy though.. you won't hear of any locker room trouble with him. Just wish he could play about 30lbs lighter and so maybe be quicker on his feet made of concrete.

In terms of the weight issue, is there a reason he is not playing 30lb lighter? Is it an attitude issue that he won't lose the weight?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    In terms of the weight issue, is there a reason he is not playing 30lb lighter? Is it an attitude issue that he won't lose the weight?

His attitude appears good.. but he was tweeting about how his new training regime had him in unreal shape before the 2016 season and he ended up only losing about 3lbs.. It was a running joke at the time, so perhaps he struggles to get the weight off even if he is supposedly working real hard. He is such a massive human being who moves v slowly.

Having said all that the strength and conditioning people in SD have been hopeless the last few yrs and there was little accountability from the moron of a HC that they had. A change in scenery might do him the world of good.

His attitude appears good.. but he was tweeting about how his new training regime had him in unreal shape before the 2016 season and he ended up only losing about 3lbs.. It was a running joke at the time, so perhaps he struggles to get the weight off even if he is supposedly working real hard. He is such a massive human being who moves v slowly.

Having said all that the strength and conditioning people in SD have been hopeless the last few yrs and there was little accountability from the moron of a HC that they had. A change in scenery might do him the world of good.

Ok, I'll hold out some hope so, we badly need help on the o-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

The second coming of Jared Gaither

• Advertisement

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    The second coming of Jared Gaither

Ah he's not that bad surely...... but let's hope he is mwahahahahaha. #FUSpanos

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ed.

Chargers replica jerseys (#17, who else) are reduced to €65 in Elverys in Dundrum

Ed. wrote: »
    Chargers replica jerseys (#17, who else) are reduced to €65 in Elverys in Dundrum

That's mad!!..... to think there is a Charger jersey on sale in Dundrum. I wonder how many more have been offloaded out of SD stores to Europe.....

http://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Sports/American-Sports/NFL/Nike-Chargers-Rivers-Home-Jersey-Navy/p/000000000001066602_NAVY

Still rep'ing SD I see..............

#FUSpanos

#not1morecent

I see Kaepernick's is 50% off....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ed.

That's mad!!..... to think there is a Charger jersey on sale in Dundrum. I wonder how many more have been offloaded out of SD stores to Europe.....

http://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Sports/American-Sports/NFL/Nike-Chargers-Rivers-Home-Jersey-Navy/p/000000000001066602_NAVY

Still rep'ing SD I see..............

#FUSpanos

#not1morecent

Elverys are an official NFL retailer and I got my Chargers jersey there in the post Christmas sale. Would have preferred #99 Bosa but it would be special order to the States for that. Quite a few #17's left too in different sizes

Even with the 'full price' of €85 the jerseys are cheaper in Elverys than from UK retailers like USA Sport or American Football UK. Thanks Brexit

Ed. wrote: »
    Elverys are an official NFL retailer and I got my Chargers jersey there in the post Christmas sale. Would have preferred #99 Bosa but it would be special order to the States for that. Quite a few #17's left too in different sizes

Even with the 'full price' of €85 the jerseys are cheaper in Elverys than from UK retailers like USA Sport or American Football UK. Thanks Brexit

Saw a lad with a Chargers cap at a recent Shamrock Rovers game... In the past I'd have said howya/struck up a convo but no more....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

setanta74 wrote: »
    Soundings coming from San Diego and the NFL not good. Looks like we may not be in San Diego much longer. San Diego is a big part of the reason I follow the chargers. Don't know if I would have the stomach for the LA Chargers..maybe I would..just dunno.

I posted this in december 2015. To be honest not much has changed. I still don't know how I'm feeling about the Chargers in LA. At this stage I am 50:50 about staying behind the franchise. Maybe its time to go neutral and just enjoy it all.

Convince me to keep going someone :(....Damo?

I posted this in december 2015. To be honest not much has changed. I still don't know how I'm feeling about the Chargers in LA. At this stage I am 50:50 about staying behind the franchise. Maybe its time to go neutral and just enjoy it all.

Convince me to keep going someone :(....Damo?

I certainly can't convince you D.... I am 80:20 leaving them and the NFL behind... I can't see for a second how I can support this organisation after what that w%$*&r did.

Rivers to Gates off a playaction.. A thing of beauty each Sunday.

I just cannot cheer against these players, we have so many exciting young players, and fantastic vets. I have no time for the owners but I won't cheer against them players, not for one second.

Rivers to Gates off a playaction.. A thing of beauty each Sunday.

I just cannot cheer against these players, we have so many exciting young players, and fantastic vets. I have no time for the owners but I won't cheer against them players, not for one second.

I'm not cheering against the players, couldn't if i wanted to but i'm not cheering for the Chargers anymore.
    I have very little interest in football since the move but i'm naturally more interested in Chargers news than other team. Will see how i feel come Sept when football is back, maybe i'll get back into it, maybe i'll support someone else, right now i don't know. What i do know is i'll never support Spanos so while that family are associated then the Chargers are spoiled for me

OAOB wrote: »
    I'm not cheering against the players, couldn't if i wanted to but i'm not cheering for the Chargers anymore.
    I have very little interest in football since the move but i'm naturally more interested in Chargers news than other team. Will see how i feel come Sept when football is back, maybe i'll get back into it, maybe i'll support someone else, right now i don't know. What i do know is i'll never support Spanos so while that family are associated then the Chargers are spoiled for me

I feel the exact same way... I hope the likes of Keenan Allen and Verrett and others have magnificent careers but I only wish the worst for the Spanos.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

God its even worse than I thought. So sad to see some of you feeling like this. Im the same. Hope to feel a bit more enthused by August.
    Will certainly watch more college ball this year.

God its even worse than I thought. So sad to see some of you feeling like this. Im the same. Hope to feel a bit more enthused by August.
    Will certainly watch more college ball this year.

Yep this is what that greedy b$%£%rd has done.... we had a great little community on here and that chicken sh1t has blown it all up...

Even Mark Davis has the bollox to talk to the Oakland fans. F Spanos and all his family.

Just signed up to the boards mock draft, have always loved the draft so hoping this might re-invigorate me. If nothing else it'll help me familiarise myself with the new players coming in

Been a while lads..............

F the Spanos family.

Anyone think it's time we drafted a QB?

I'm still on the fence but I like Watson.

• Advertisement
Advertisement