Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭tripperman

Well guy's been awhile as Leslie said, not much happening in the way of important news, bosa is skipping voluntary workouts, I also believe River's and a few others are absent, not a big deal imo, some player's might be better doing there on training regime this time of year,

we get the schedule on Friday at 1a.m. for the season, wouldn't be surprised if we're starting against the Patriots this season,

Next week is draft week and I can't help but get excited for some reason even in the midst of relocation, looking back at all the Ramsey talk from last year and comparing it to this year, I'm starting to think all the talk of Malik Hooker talk is a smoke screen, safety is our biggest need followed by Oline, edge rusher and CB imo,

QB I like mahomes, but not enough to take him in the first, Davis Webb, or the kid out of Pittsburgh Peterman in the third, or a late flyer on CJ Bertrand out of Iowa,

they can get a stud safety in round two or three this year, the likes of Budda Baker, Josh Jones, are guy's that will be available in the second round to help improve the secondary,

CB sure we have Verrett and hayward, but who's the nickel corner, we need depth here big time, and luckily this draft is full of starting calibre CBs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

So tonight's the night.

Adams, Hooker, Thomas or Williams I'm happy out.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    So tonight's the night.

Adams, Hooker, Thomas or Williams I'm happy out.

Adams, Allen or Thomas would be great at 7, if we trade back to mid teen's Forrest lamp would be good to improve the oline,

Mike Williams good pick the sort of receiver Phillip likes, was sure it was going to be Jonathan Allen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

More of the same from Telesco... imho.

Defense wins Championships and he's drafted at best the second best wideout with pick #7!!!, when all of these guys were on the board;

Lattimore
    Barnett
    Allen
    Foster

Incredible that a trade down option did not materialise too... look at what the other teams got for their trade downs... daylight robbery for at best decent QBs.

I reckon the Cards reached on Reddick. And I could pick at least one corner better than Humphrey (Skins), Jackson (Titans), Conley (Raiders).

The list of players still available is amazing - Kevin King, Lamp, McDowell, Kizer, Baker.......... the list goes on.

Contrast Telescos sub par performance with what John Lynch did in his first day on the job of draft...

Not only did he reportedly convince multiple teams that they needed to deal with him at No. 2 overall to get quarterback Mitch Trubisky, but he only had to move down one spot to pick up two extra third-round picks and a fourth-rounder from the Chicago Bears -- and he still landed Solomon Thomas, one of the highest-rated prospects in the class. Lynch used the fourth-round pick acquired from the Bears to move back into the first round and draft linebacker Reuben Foster at No. 31 overall. The 49ers added two top-five talents in Thomas and Foster, with NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah calling Foster the best pick in the draft. Lynch, for his part, said Thomas and Foster were two of the top three players on his board.

FU Spanos you perennial loser.

Some interesting options out there for the second round pick still, I think Forrest Lamp might be gone by our pick also Cam Robinson and Budda Baker,

Marcus Maye or josh jones will be there, or Tim Williams from Alabama, we really need a safety and interior offensive lineman tonight or a another cb to add depth,

NO QB PLEASE TT

Delighted with Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney in round two and three last night, imo there both day one starters for us beside Matt Slauson, they are an upgrade on Franklin and Fluker from last year, really good to see Phillip getting good young talent to protect him and open lanes for Gordon, interesting to see what happens with Max Tuerk

We save over 6 million in cap space if we cut Franklin by 1st of June. Could see that happening with us brining in defensive cover in free agency.

• Advertisement

Draft in the books now, some great additions some great depth, and some just development player's to,

Round one,
    Clemson Wide Receiver Mike Williams,
    This pick has grown on me great talent that creates separation with his strength, big target for Phillip to look to for the contested 50/50 balls when in redzone, I'd think this pick is more about concerns about Keenans injuries then a lack of faith in Tyrell Williams ability,

Round 2
    Western Kentucky Guard Forrest Lamp,
    Love this pick thought he would be gone in round one, on night two I was sure he would be taking before our pick, he was a tackle in college, but TT said they plan to play him at guard, he's a great run blocker with a nasty streak

Round 3
    Indiana Guard Dan Feeney,
    Really like this pick, only allowed two sacks in his whole college career, great pass blocker and run blocker, has a nasty streak in him and was said to be a leader in his team who lead by example,

Round 4
    Miami Safety Rayshawn Jenkins,
    Solid pick that has upside he's a fast hard hitting safety, (sound familiar Addae), but he's not as reckless and can actually make picks and finish tackles with out injuring himself, think he's injury cover for Addae as he can't play a full season since he's to reckless,

Round 5
    Iowa CB/ Safety Desmond king
    Really love this pick, he was a player I seen mocked in the second round, he's not got top end speed to play CB, but he's great at reading the QBs eye's to get to make play's on the ball, solid tackler in run support, he would be a great ball hawk Safety with good coaching, think he's going to work in to Lowerys role slowly, but he's an improvement in time,

Round 6
    Utah Tackle Sam Tevi,
    Don't know anything about him other then what I read or heard about him when he was picked, he's former DT who's only playing on the offensive line two years, practice squad at best, really thought the would go QB Brad Kaya from Miami,

Round 7
    Notre Dame DE Isaac Rochelle
    Don't know much about him, but from what I read he's supposed to be a steal this late, as he's versatile that he can slip inside on a four man front, not a good pass rusher, but solid run stuffer, I had hoped for Pittsburgh DE Ejuan Price as he had far more college production,

Undrafted Free Agents that have been signed so far,

Clemson Wide Receiver Artavis Scott,
    Missouri tight end Sean Culkin,
    Florida Atlantic center Dillon Deboer,
    BYU cornerback Michael Davis,
    Western State running back Austin Ekeler,
    South Florida linebacker Nigel Harris,
    Georgia Southern kicker Younghoe Koo,
    Kansas State linebacker Mike Moore,
    Notre Dame linebacker James Onwualu,
    Rutgers wide receiver Andre Patton,
    Kansas cornerback Brandon Stewart,
    Wake Forest cornerback Brad Watson,
    Ohio State wide receiver Dontre Wilson,
    South Carolina tackle Mason Zandi,
    Jacksonville State QB Eli Jenkins

The only one I know anything about is Scott from Clemson as he was a team mate of Mike Williams and I seen him when watching some tape of Mike before the draft, he's a solid receiver not very fast, might be able to make the roster as a returner at first, could push Dontrell Inman for the last WR spot on the depth chart,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Joe Mixon

Good draft for The Chargers. The No.1 rated WR in Williams (although I think Corey Davis is better) too bad he was already gone. Great pick in the 2nd round to get Forrest Lamp. I thought he was the best OT in the draft, expected him to go in the first round.

What a great looking draft. great that we didn't make a trade to move up and get Lamp.

King is an absolute steal, love that pick.

Some interesting UDFA as always.

Great draft, and I feel it puts us in a much better situation then where we finished up last season.

I think Williams was a poor pick at #7. TT made up for it by having Lamp and Feeney fall into his lap ie. not by design, he got lucky. The day 3 picks were shockingly bad imho. Jenkins was picked when Carl Lawson was there.

King was decent value where he was picked but he is sloooooooooooooow. He better not play on the outside... he will be #toast.

The last 2 picks were a joke. Sam Tevi a former DT now shoe horned into O line. Bucky Hodges should have been that pick. Even Brad Kaaya might have been a better option!. Tevi will not make the 53.

Rochell is a 2 down player with zero pass rushing ability.. so he fits right in with the rest of our D linemen Bosa excluded. Rochell has UDFA written all over him...

So F Spanos..

Tre Boston announced on Twitter that he's signing for the chargers, decent improvement on Dwight Lowery imo possible Lowery gets cut before the season,

Been a great 24 hours as Mike Williams, Forrest Lamp, Desmond king, Sam Tevi and Isaac Rochelle all signed there rookie contracts, only Dan Feeney and Rayshawn Jenkins left to sign

Just wondering where all you lads have gone to to talk about those bastard Chargers? since this thread has seemingly died a death...

So glad to see Mike Williams screw them over. Said it on 3rd May but that was a shocker of a pick. FU Spanos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

4th - 1st?

Guffy wrote: »
    4th - 1st?

Liverpool FC you mean!!? of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

If they can stay healthier this year i honestly think 8 or 9 wins will win them the division. Of the 4 they certainly have the perceived easier schedule and they also have the talent. Rivers is set up for a career year too looking at the quality around him.

I'm still hear Leslie, just been very busy, really looking forward to camp and Preseason

Seemed a big crowd at camp today.

Williams hopefully can contribute this year, real pity for a young guy to start with such an injury.

Signing Cardale is interesting, more so that we had interest in him at the draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I caught my first report from chargers training camp on the NFL network earlier. It's very strange hearing LA chargers instead on San Diego chargers. That's going to take a getting used to. The reporter Alex Flanagan was finishing her report and even she took a pause before saying LA.

I still think it's the wrong move but it's done now.

Well guy's first pre-season game Monday morning, training camp has been a mixed bag so far from injuries, to player's excelling expectations and other's disappointing and then a scuffle with the rams yesterday,
    Injuries
    Forrest Lamp is going to be a big loss with his knee injury, we don't seem to get much luck with oline injuries, Mike Williams back injury is a big concern, at least he is back running but he's along way from seeing the field if at all this season,
    Great to see keenan make a good recovery he has been impressive with his movement so early in training camp, Jason is coming along slowly but should be OK for week one of the Season,

Tyrell has been taking his play up another notch according to reports DJ and Mooch where very impressed when they were in camp watching last week, Chris mccain seems to have found himself a good spot in Gus's system been getting into the backfield quite a bit according to reports,
    Joshua perry is struggling again, even bottom of the depth chart behind some guy that used be a wr,
    Looking forward to seeing the game against the seahawks, see how thing's take shape on the oline and at cb behind verrett and Hayward

King and Feeney did well.

1st strings played well and fluid, same can't be said for for second strings.

Well guy's anyone else watching the game's,

first thing Commissioner was there to see the eagles fans out number the chargers at home, this will really put alarm bells going with how bad this move has been,

0-4 and could be 2-2, but after last night we deserve 0-4, our tackling is atrocious never seen so many missed and broken tackles, Ingram has been great, bosa hasn't had the flashy numbers mainly he's getting double teamed, safety play is poor, Hayward came back to his old self last night,

Play calling and game planning on offense is terrible, it's all been left to rivers to carry the load, which isn't a good thing with an average oline, oline is holding up a bit better in pass protection, but run blocking ain't good enough, ekler td was more on his agility and vision,

Looking ahead with away games to giants and raiders followed by the visit of the Broncos and a trip to the patriots, I'm fearing 0-8, sure giants are struggling to but I feel that they at least have a strong home field advantage and a good secondary to hold our pass game,

Verrett injured for the year again shows up a major miss in not taking a corner early in the draft, yes Desmond king is playing well and Trevor Williams also, but if anyone else gets injured your looking at Craig Mager stepping up which is a dream for the opposing qb,

What's everyone else's opinions

Howdy Tripper, fair play for continuing to watch, I am not. I do still listen to the lightning round lads podcast to keep in touch a bit but refuse to watch/pay for gamepass etc.

I'm delighted to hear how much of a disaster it has been on and off the field for those greedy greeks and their mafia bros in the NFL.

Laughed my hole off at the pick in the draft by little John when that guy was (1) a total reach and (2) not a position of need. They just can't seem to get out of their own way at every turn.

I wonder if they do completely suck the rest of the way and have a shot at a new QB next yr will they pick the wrong guy again.... they probably will.

Until they are back in SD without the greeks, where they belong they are dead to me.

Oh and how's that "leader of men" Lynn doing then........ clearly another bottom of the barrel hire by those cheapskates. No wonder Sean McDermott (will be a great HC imho) wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
    tripperman wrote: »
    Well guy's anyone else watching the game's,

first thing Commissioner was there to see the eagles fans out number the chargers at home, this will really put alarm bells going with how bad this move has been,

0-4 and could be 2-2, but after last night we deserve 0-4, our tackling is atrocious never seen so many missed and broken tackles, Ingram has been great, bosa hasn't had the flashy numbers mainly he's getting double teamed, safety play is poor, Hayward came back to his old self last night,

Play calling and game planning on offense is terrible, it's all been left to rivers to carry the load, which isn't a good thing with an average oline, oline is holding up a bit better in pass protection, but run blocking ain't good enough, ekler td was more on his agility and vision,

Looking ahead with away games to giants and raiders followed by the visit of the Broncos and a trip to the patriots, I'm fearing 0-8, sure giants are struggling to but I feel that they at least have a strong home field advantage and a good secondary to hold our pass game,

Verrett injured for the year again shows up a major miss in not taking a corner early in the draft, yes Desmond king is playing well and Trevor Williams also, but if anyone else gets injured your looking at Craig Mager stepping up which is a dream for the opposing qb,

What's everyone else's opinions

Greetings lads...... just wondering have y'all gone somewhere else to talk about the team owned by the greedy Greeks or are yee not talking about them no more like me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Hey guys. I've kept a half eye on the teams progress this year but I wouldn't say I'm supporting them. Not cheering for or against them tbh.

The move seems to be a bit of a disaster as LA haven't embraced them at all (no surprise there). Haven't watched enough games to know if they're improving. They seem to be suffering a lot of injuries on the Oline which is unfortunate considering it's probably their weakest position to begin with.

Delighted to see that Gates got the TE TD record

I've been watching them a good bit.. Best team talent wise in a long time.

Next 4 games are massive, need Gordon and our dline to step up.

I think we've a good chance of getting a wildcard spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Still supporting, still being crushed by hilarious losses. Went to the game against the pats, tyrell touching the white line before catching a would be TD, hilarious phantom pick pay to wipe off a Benjamin TD and the worst punt return ever. Still got to see an 87 yard run for a TD though. I wish they would use the passing game a bit more though. Excited for the game on Sunday.

Wow, that had to be one of the worst loses I can remember.

Defence again played so well but our offence just didn't perform. Play calling this year from Whiz is head scratching.

• Advertisement

Wow, that had to be one of the worst loses I can remember.

Defence again played so well but our offence just didn't perform. Play calling this year from Whiz is head scratching.

I see a team being 'Chargered' is becoming a thing ie. finding a new crazy way to lose week after week. Sign of a poor team with v poor coaching = Whiz & Lynn. Oh and Rivers needs to pack his bags and retire at seasons end. He needs to be/get away from this cluster****.

#freetacos

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can believe you guys blew it :(

I tuned in for the fumble recovery and then switched off, not sure how the WR then let the Ramsey pull the ball off him

I watched the game last night and once we got the ball around the two minute warning I knew there was trouble, I got that annoyed at how we lost I actually couldn't watch the late game's,

Ken whiz is on the hotseat right now the offensive play calling is awful,

Well last night was brilliant, we tore the cowboys apart in Dallas on Thanksgiving.

We look like a playoff team and with our remaining schedule I think we can get there.

Please God we can stay healthy and give it a real crack.

Well it was a good weekend for us, seeing us turn up and perform on the big stage on thanksgiving in Gerry world, it was a good performance, but still a few areas need improving there's no hiding it, our run game isn't just getting as many yards as we need to help Philip out, yes Philip can do it on his own, but a good run game can help him even further, Defensively run defense is still a little concerning(maybe I'm still scared by the game's earlier in the season),

Good to see Keenan back to his olde self, Dan Feeney has really come on leaps and bounds, looks like the young guard we have been needing for years, Desmond king is been outstanding delighted he got a pick 6, get some big game attention for all his hard work, Trevor Williams is looking like a decent cb bargain find now, possible could be his spot next season with all Jason's injuries,

Our pass rush is unreal they never give up, bosa and Ingram are the top duo imo for years to come, McCain has done well rotating in alongside them, pity Jerry hasn't been fit to get more involved,

Bills beating the chiefs to put us and the raiders within a game is great, with the schedule not looking to bad we still have a chance to fight it out,

Killer end to our season... Really would of loved a crack at the AFC.

This off season hopefully we sign up Gus Bradley, he doesn't appear to have any head coaching roles lined up so we just need to pay the man.

Exciting young team to look forward to next year with the bonus of what looks like to be a game in London this year.

Good news keeps coming, Gus signed up to a 3 year deal and seems the Chargers are coming to London

• Registered Users Posts: 34 HomerS

Good news keeps coming, Gus signed up to a 3 year deal and seems the Chargers are coming to London

Great news alright, looking forward to see Rivers and the gang play live.
    Hopefully they play a Thursday night of the previous game week to give them a few extra days to get over jet lag.

Planning to goto London but won't attend game. Instead a bunch of us #FSpanos ex Charger fans are gonna meet and cuss them out & drink some beer.

• Advertisement

Ah great news to see Gus resigned, should help keep the momentum that's building going next season,

Great to see them in Wembley next season, hoping to get tickets for it and rock up in powder blue Gordon jersey

So schedule is out and I'm going to make a trip to see the Chargers plus the London trip.

Was thinking of the opening game against the chiefs or the road game to the rams be great? Decisions decisions.

Anyone else heading over to the London game?

So schedule is out and I'm going to make a trip to see the Chargers plus the London trip.

Was thinking of the opening game against the chiefs or the road game to the rams be great? Decisions decisions.

Anyone else heading over to the London game?

Yep I am going to London on the Saturday morning back Sunday night but I won't attend the game. Instead will watch in a bar with fellow ex fans looking forward to the day the team is sold and returned to SD.

If any of you lads are in town the Saturday would be good to meet up too.

I'll be around the town on the Saturday, arrange something nearer the time :)

Well guy's been a while, big week for the franchise ahead with the draft, hoping for Rayshan Evans from Alabama in the first, dt or safety in the second round,

Time and daye for Wembley set, chatting on a fourm with fan's from L.A. and San Diego there not happy with the kick off time abd honestly I agree with them, hoping to go myself but will have to see two weddings this summer and one the start of October

tripperman wrote: »
    Well guy's been a while, big week for the franchise ahead with the draft, hoping for Rayshan Evans from Alabama in the first, dt or safety in the second round,

Time and daye for Wembley set, chatting on a fourm with fan's from L.A. and San Diego there not happy with the kick off time abd honestly I agree with them, hoping to go myself but will have to see two weddings this summer and one the start of October

The NFL and esp the Chargers ownership don't give a F about the fans. Mind you can't imagine a whole lot of people in LA and SD giving a F about the game happening in London not to mention when they are playing in the mickey mouse stadium in Carson.

• Advertisement

Couldn't be happier with that pick, Surprised he fell all the way to 17.

Now for some big bodies in the second and third I think.

Couldn't be happier with that pick, Surprised he fell all the way to 17.

Now for some big bodies in the second and third I think.

I was all in for Evans because I thought James would be gone top ten, this is a steal for us, tonight we need linebacker and interior dline or rb to help Gordon

Looking at our divisional rivals, Broncos made a good pick that pass rush their could be scary, raiders picked up Miller, I thought that was a big reach he's a second rounder at best imo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Great value pick but the chargers secondary wasn't the teams weakness. They need a big run stopper on the Dline and should hope for Hurst in the second or Settle in the third.

They couldn't pass on James but they haven't solved a weakness either

After lucking out on James I reckon they've made a balls of the rest of the draft. Mind you the lad they found to announce their last pick is a legend, ha ha F this ownership.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    After lucking out on James I reckon they've made a balls of the rest of the draft. Mind you the lad they found to announce their last pick is a legend, ha ha F this ownership.

Couldn't disagree more, I think they've done a fantastic job.

All the defensive guys are very athletic and good tackles, this is what Bradley built his Seahawks defence on.

I think your hatred for them moving is clouding your judgment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement