Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COST OF SLATTED TANK

• 03-05-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Thinking of building slatted tank to hold slurry for 30 weanlings, no rain water
    Had tank size 45' x 14.5' x 8' deep in mind,
    Is tank big enough, what will it cost plus slats
    Budget 10k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Once you go over 12.5m wide you need extra re enforcing on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

warfie35 wrote: »
    Thinking of building slatted tank to hold slurry for 30 weanlings, no rain water
    Budget 10k

I did one there a couple of months ago. Three bay shed over it, three bays 15'9''. To incorporate exterior agigtation point the resulting tank was 53' long. I got tank dug out and completed, including tractor slats for e9800 + VAT. Walls were 12'' thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

warfie35 wrote: »
    Budget 10k

I go for 16 foot slats it will cost very little extra even with 14.5 slats you would nearly get away with a two bay ( I mean nearly not that you would) but if you are building a three bay go for 16 foot slat go 6" deeper with tank 8'6" will only cost a few extra pennies, also leave a conc strip front and rear 18-22" but slope it down to slats from about 4" higher gives extra area but they will keep it clean because of slope.
    Face it either north or north east and with a over hang no rain will get in. Make sure you can feed back and front for meal or even if you want to limit feeding for last few weeks before you let them out in spring. I leave an area at rear that if you had a sick one you could have him there however it all costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

I go for 16 foot slats it will cost very little extra even with 14.5 slats you would nearly get away with a two bay ( I mean nearly not that you would) but if you are building a three bay go for 16 foot slat go 6" deeper with tank 8'6" will only cost a few extra pennies, also leave a conc strip front and rear 18-22" but slope it down to slats from about 4" higher gives extra area but they will keep it clean because of slope.
    Face it either north or north east and with a over hang no rain will get in. Make sure you can feed back and front for meal or even if you want to limit feeding for last few weeks before you let them out in spring. I leave an area at rear that if you had a sick one you could have him there however it all costs money.
    plenty of rain blowing in for the last few weeks with that b..ch of a wind. old saying eastern breeze neither good for man or beast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

johnpawl wrote: »
    I did one there a couple of months ago. Three bay shed over it, three bays 15'9''. To incorporate exterior agigtation point the resulting tank was 53' long. I got tank dug out and completed, including tractor slats for e9800 + VAT. Walls were 12'' thick.

Can I be cheeky and ask what the full job cost ?

No bother. Got another fella to do the shed, 3 bay long by the same distance back, A type roof, spaced sheeting on one side of the A roof. Beams put in for three sliding doors, all flashing done, 8ft high walls shuttered and poured, ventilated sheeting along one side. - E14,500 plus vat. must do all the internal work yet, thats just with a rough stone floor inside.

Thats the basic plan there, except I forgot to take the two sliding doors off on the left. They are not on the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's a fine shed there JohnPawl. Have you used it this winter?

Did you think it worked well? What, if anything, would you change slightly?

What will it hold ....15 cows and their calves?

Muckit wrote: »
    That's a fine shed there JohnPawl. Have you used it this winter?

Did you think it worked well? What, if anything, would you change slightly?

What will it hold ....15 cows and their calves?

The sheeting is only going on the shed today, I'll do the inside of it myself during the summer. Ya, fifteen cows but I plan to build up numbers, so I designed the shed so I could stick a bay of cubicles on the back, and put an automatic scraper down the scraper channel into the tank.
    I'd be surprised if this time next year I won't be annoyed that I didnt do some aspect differently:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

The sheeting is only going on the shed today, I'll do the inside of it myself during the summer. Ya, fifteen cows but I plan to build up numbers, so I designed the shed so I could stick a bay of cubicles on the back, and put an automatic scraper down the scraper channel into the tank.
    I'd be surprised if this time next year I won't be annoyed that I didnt do some aspect differently:cool:
    Best of luck with it JP, you always have things you'll change if you had your time again, thanks for the figures they're fairly thought provoking, sheds are cheaper now in net terms than they were in the times of the FWMS grants:rolleyes:

Yes the best of luck with it JP. You won't know yourself in the backend;) What is it replacing or did you house them before?

I'd like to hear how the cubicles work out for you with sucklers.

I'm sorry we didn't build an area for calving pens:o

Also I think an area off slats where they could show mounting safely and a lad could AI earlier, say in Feb/March, before letting them out to grass;)

Will there be a step up from the scraper channel to the calving pens? Just wondering would straw block scraper?

Muckit wrote: »
    Will there be a step up from the scraper channel to the calving pens? Just wondering would straw block scraper?

Had them in the fathers shed for last few years so they are all used to cubicles. Had to move out this year cos new herd number etc so had to build. Could've done without spending the money, but i'm hoping it'll be a job for life. Ya, will be a step up so I'm hoping to avoid straw in the scrapers.
    Where'd be a good place to source barriers and cubicles I wonder...? How much could I expect to pay per cubicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

Had them in the fathers shed for last few years so they are all used to cubicles. Had to move out this year cos new herd number etc so had to build. Could've done without spending the money, but i'm hoping it'll be a job for life. Ya, will be a step up so I'm hoping to avoid straw in the scrapers.
    Where'd be a good place to source barriers and cubicles I wonder...? How much could I expect to pay per cubicle?

I was just enquiring yesterday with local dealer about feed barriers, he said £18 per linear foot. This was in in NI. Fully galvanised with timber on the bottom, not steel.

Not sure whether this is any good, first price I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

kboc wrote: »
    I was just enquiring yesterday with local dealer about feed barriers, he said £18 per linear foot. This was in in NI. Fully galvanised with timber on the bottom, not steel.

Not sure whether this is any good, first price I got.

silage tends to rot steel even galvanised so I'd prefer a good solid timber board over steel myself if a concrete kerb is not an option

We have the timber seperate from the barrier. It's easier open the barrier if you have to take one out. You've to clear all silage away if timber is bolted to the barrier.

What are other lads experiences/thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Dad put up a slatted shed over twenty years ago. it was all painted at the time. it never got another lick of paint. the bottom of the gates were mild steel sheeting, they are getting cut off this year and replaced with timber beams. purely because the bottom of the gates are rotten and the tops are sound and still usable. we will just weld a new hinge up further.
    I have heard a lot of people worrying about rusting however the uprights and all other steel seems perfectly sound. we will though give them some sort of protection this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Thats the basic plan there, except I forgot to take the two sliding doors off on the left. They are not on the shed.[/Quote

Can we see pics of the shed in the flesh yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

o donovans coachford cork,approx E150 -170 per cubicle,E 250 + per feeding barrier

• Advertisement
Advertisement